• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • INDPrepper

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Hey guys, very simple question here. Should I build my own rifle and customize it to my liking or buy a already built rifle and go from there? I have looked up some stuff on PSA and I can build my own rifle for roughly 650 bucks, which is great for my wallet currently with the holidays coming up. I was looking at a few rifles on the marketplace here but most are a little pricey but that's due to accessories, extra mags, ammo ,etc.

Also another thing, how does one go through a transfer for a stripped lower?

Thanks and have a good day.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    FWIW, whenever I see this exact question posted, my response is to just buy a complete rifle with many mags and lots of ammo and learn the system. After many rounds downrange and a rifle class or two, you will have a better idea of what you really need in a rifle.

Just my opinion. Nobody has ever listened to me as far as I can tell.

baba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Stripped lowers are firearms. You fill out the regular form to buy one just like any other gun you get from the dealer.

I built my own AR and it was fun. I don't think I really saved that much money vs. buying, but it was fun. And I have exactly what I like. It may be hard to find that pre-made. Its been so long since I did it now I can't recall the prices, but it was close to break even on buying new or perhaps a little cheaper at the time. Although that included the cost of tools, so I guess the rifle itself was a bit cheaper now that I think about it.

Mainly, if you like projects do it. If you don't mind troubleshooting or fixing things that aren't working, do it. If you will be upset if it doesn't run right just out after you drive the last pin, then I would buy instead of build. You have no-one to blame but yourself if your build doesn't work quite right.

-Brian

skulhedface

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    east indy
    PSA deals are hard to beat if you're building. Beech Grove Firearms had a Colt on the rack last week for about the same price. FFL transfer is no big deal. Just follow the instructions PSA gives you and hand your FFL the money, they do all the work.

INDPrepper

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Thanks for the responses.

I do think that building would be the way to go. I don't mind troubleshooting problems. It just lets me learn the rifle a lot better and quicker. I think i'm going to order a rifle kit tonight and then go to my FFL down the road and talk to him about the lower I would need. I will probably go with a PSA lower as well if he doesn't have any in stock.

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    It has one. Look at the pictures and read the description comes with a single stage combat trigger. From the picture you can see it comes with the springs hammer etc etc. Complete stock etc. I looked at it earlier today. All that things needs is a lower to go with it. And they're doing the anderson lowers for what 49.99? They're made in kentucky. No idea on quality but when i've ran into them i've never heard complaints from people about them.

INDPrepper

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    It has one. Look at the pictures and read the description comes with a single stage combat trigger. From the picture you can see it comes with the springs hammer etc etc. Complete stock etc. I looked at it earlier today. All that things needs is a lower to go with it. And they're doing the anderson lowers for what 49.99? They're made in kentucky. No idea on quality but when i've ran into them i've never heard complaints from people about them.
    Yeah 50 bucks for a lower. I was thinking about going with a PSA lower but they are 120 and i'm trying to save as much as i can but still get quality.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    Hey guys, very simple question here. Should I build my own rifle and customize it to my liking or buy a already built rifle and go from there? I have looked up some stuff on PSA and I can build my own rifle for roughly 650 bucks, which is great for my wallet currently with the holidays coming up. I was looking at a few rifles on the marketplace here but most are a little pricey but that's due to accessories, extra mags, ammo ,etc.

Also another thing, how does one go through a transfer for a stripped lower?

Thanks and have a good day.

As stated, do a search on the stripped lower deal, there are plenty of posts on that. As for the build or buy, I think it depends on your needs. I have a thread going on my recent build and how it's been ESRice also has a thread that pulls to the top of the NFA sub-forum regularly (we went the SBR route, hence the NFA forum) aside from the SBR aspect those threads are otherwise a layout of what you're looking at going through. Can you spend less building your own, YES, will you, probably not. I think you need to assess what you want and what you hope to gain, from there, you can better understand which is the right choice for you.

If your wallet is the real decision maker on this, I would probably buy something reliable but cost effective that meets a good portion of your "needs" and just finish it up swapping out the few other parts you want changed. You might even be able to sell some of the original parts to people looking for them and save yourself a couple bucks.
    :twocents:
    FWIW, whenever I see this exact question posted, my response is to just buy a complete rifle with many mags and lots of ammo and learn the system. After many rounds downrange and a rifle class or two, you will have a better idea of what you really need in a rifle.

Just my opinion. Nobody has ever listened to me as far as I can tell.

Come now, tons of people listen to that advice, I think you sell yourself short thinking otherwise. I for one would certainly have heeded that advice if I didn't want to learn how to assemble an AR, find out how much went into ordering parts, putting it together, and understanding its workings intricately. Because I am building I get to feel each part in my hand before I put it into place for the first time. I think building your own can provide you with intangible knowledge that you might or might not gain from a dissasembly/reassembly. That being said, some people just want to own and shoot an AR, if that's your bag, buy what you want and get some mags and ammo and get started.

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    You can get the PSA blem's for anywhere between 50-80. Just watch there website they'll be back up. Usually come up once a week. Plus black friday is coming up. Also you can keep an eye on local gunshops for black friday deals. Everyone will argue about who's the best in quality in a lower. Then you'll get others like me that see no benefit in an expensive one. Personally i have a DTI(del-ton) no problems what so ever with it. Just make sure it's what you want. And visuals are factor to me. I don't want a lower with some stupid looking aftermarket lazer engraving on it. I don't mind a companies logo.Or something i would like to have on one. But PSA's zombie one or whatever just looks like crap to me because of the engraving.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Thanks for the kind words guys. It means a lot to me.

I really think the emphasis should be learning how to employ the rifle.

Not how to build or troubleshoot or fix a botched build.

I will be quiet now.

INDPrepper

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Alright guys, just ordered the kit. Hopefully it doesn't take too long to get here. A couple weeks should be about right maybe 3. I might go hunting for the lower this weekend just to have it ready. I just need a hammer that won't mess up the finish as i'm sure there are some punches in the tool box in the garage, oh and a castle nut wrench. AM i missing anything?

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    One more thing. If your're the type of person who can't afford large sums of money at once and would have to spread out a purchase over time. Then building could be beneficial. If you can afford say half of a rifle and be able to pay the other half within a month you may consider putting one on layaway somewhere. I bought my first one outright. The next one is going to be another build. Not sure what i want to do yet but i might go sbr with this one.

INDPrepper

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    One more thing. If your're the type of person who can't afford large sums of money at once and would have to spread out a purchase over time. Then building could be beneficial. If you can afford say half of a rifle and be able to pay the other half within a month you may consider putting one on layaway somewhere. I bought my first one outright. The next one is going to be another build. Not sure what i want to do yet but i might go sbr with this one.

That will end up being a project for me in the future is a nice SBR. I really like the look of them and i'm sure they shoot great for their size.

bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    I have heard many people saying that building would cost around $500, probably more towards $550-$600. Then there are those that for the same price as building, you can buy one and modify it...Where are you guys looking that you are finding complete rifles for $500?!?! The lowest I have found was $650, used.

I have been asking myself the same question, and I think that I'll take a similar route to what sloughfoot mentioned...I would love to build, but I don't have a specific purpose in mind yet to know EXACTLY what I would want to build it for...and my financial situation doesn't allow for one rifle for every day of the week like some of you haha :bowdown::spend:

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    I havent found a rifle for 500 but your right on for the cost of building. BUT you have to factot in tax if any and shipping. Most people dont factor that in. I wish I could have as many rifles as some people on here. But im a broke kid. I have my dedicated hunting guns ive gathered over the years. Other then my carry guns all I have to play with are a nagant and ars. Those are the ones that have no purpose but shooting. I will be taking both of those out for some coyote hunting after gun season just because. But plan on building a hunting ar. Not sure on a caliber for that yet though since I use a 12g for deer. I guess I could squirrel hunt with the ar or nagant because the law says I can. But I dont think I would get any food doing that lol.

Top Bottom