• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Here's the start of my first AR-15 build. Just a mockup right now, not installed any lower parts as I still have some laser engraving to be done...

picture.php

picture.php

Spike's Jolly Roger Lower
    Cardinal Forge upper
    Mean Metal Triggerguard
    DPMS PSG-1 grip
    20 rd PMag w/Ranger plate

DoubleStar parts kit, not installed.

Gonna sport a 24" bull, YHM free float handguard, and probably the Magpul PRS stock when done, engraved dust cover. Haven't decided on trigger yet.

Are all bolt groups created equal? How much difference is there?

<mumbles> Gotta get me some tools and <grumble grumble> lol.

JeremySS

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Fishers
    Looks like a fun project.

Are all bolt groups created equal? How much difference is there?

IMO this is where it really pays off to spend a few extra dollars as when a part fails, it is usually here. Spikes has a pretty darn good one as does BCM. I like the chrome or nickel boron coatings as they are a lot easier to clean and are more tolerant to being dirty or running low on lubricant. Good luck on the rest of the build.

Spike's Tactical Nickel Boron M16 BCG (223/5.56) [ST5BG03] - $225.00 : Spikes Tactical

Spike's Tactical Hard Chrome M16 BCG (223/5.56) [ST5BG04] - $175.00 : Spikes Tactical

BCM Bolt Carrier Group MPI Auto M16

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Looks like a fun project.

IMO this is where it really pays off to spend a few extra dollars as when a part fails, it is usually here. Spikes has a pretty darn good one as does BCM. I like the chrome or nickel boron coatings as they are a lot easier to clean and are more tolerant to being dirty or running low on lubricant. Good luck on the rest of the build.

Spike's Tactical Nickel Boron M16 BCG (223/5.56) [ST5BG03] - $225.00 : Spikes Tactical

Spike's Tactical Hard Chrome M16 BCG (223/5.56) [ST5BG04] - $175.00 : Spikes Tactical

BCM Bolt Carrier Group MPI Auto M16

What about TiN coated bolt groups? Was looking into those, longer wearing? Less play by being normally a better brand?

JeremySS

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Fishers
    What about TiN coated bolt groups? Was looking into those, longer wearing? Less play by being normally a better brand?

I have not tried the TiN myself, but from what I have read it is not a "slick" as the chrome and is more difficult for the manufacturer to apply evenly and completely than either the chrome or the other advanced coatings used such as Nickel Boron. Also, TiN will be less forgiving to your aluminum receiver housing than chrome but will not really do anything to increase the strength of the BCG itself. What brands are you looking at with the TiN coating? I forgot to mention LMT makes a really good BCG too.

JeremySS

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Fishers

I have not tried the TiN myself, but from what I have read it is not a "slick" as the chrome and is more difficult for the manufacturer to apply evenly and completely than either the chrome or the other advanced coatings used such as Nickel Boron. Also, TiN will be less forgiving to your aluminum receiver housing than chrome but will not really do anything to increase the strength of the BCG itself. What brands are you looking at with the TiN coating? I forgot to mention LMT makes a really good BCG too.

Edit: Just to be clear, there is nothing wrong with a standard non-ubber coated BCG by LMT, BCM, Spikes, etc.. I just like the chrome for ease of cleaning and the extra slickness in case I can not clean/lube as often as I should.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana

DPMS makes a TiN, and someone else but can't find who now...

Maybe I'll check out the Les Baer chrome or AR Stoner Nickel Boron...

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Question!

Question!
    My upper appears to be a Cardinal Forge, flattop, no other markings.

How can I tell if it has the M4 feedramps or not? This appears quite important when I select a barrel...

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I use a DPMS TiN BCG, cleans very easily with just a soft cloth, seems to run with far less lube (haven't had a malfunction yet and I run it with very little lube), the TiN is showing no signs of wear ofter about 3500 round now.

and ..... arrrrrr..... it be gold matey!

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Ok, let me see if I've got that right...

An M4 upper with have "grooves" or dimples in it to match up to an M4 barrel ramps...

An M4 ramped barrel can be used with a non-M4 upper, but not vice-versa?

Edit: After a close look at my upper, it appears I have a non-M4, no extra cuts in the front inner face where the barrel extension will go.

Top Bottom