• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jfw46544

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Hot Springs Village, AR
    Thanks all for the insight. I may go with the purchase instead on the building now. Perhaps build one when in retire in twenty years....oh maybe 30-40 years when I am 90 with Obama watching my back and retirement funds. :xmad:

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I still remember meeting Bill Laughridge at the Masters shoot in 1989. What totally impressed me was the little trailer he used to haul to the big matches. A complete machine shop inside the trailer. If he couldn't fix your gun, it probably couldn't be fixed. He sold all of the trick parts everybody wanted for competition. And installed them while you waited. He saved a lot of shooters in those matches when their gun suddenly went **** up. A class act and a true gentleman.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I still remember meeting Bill Laughridge at the Masters shoot in 1989. What totally impressed me was the little trailer he used to haul to the big matches. A complete machine shop inside the trailer. If he couldn't fix your gun, it probably couldn't be fixed. He sold all of the trick parts everybody wanted for competition. And installed them while you waited. He saved a lot of shooters in those matches when their gun suddenly went **** up. A class act and a true gentleman.

Haha, old timer.:D I was 5 yrs old in 1989.

Seriously though, I would love to build a 1911. right now it is cost prohibitive. Although this thread as been very informative.

ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County

You should see his shop. You can easily just drive by and not know it is there. The sign above the door is only 1 ft by 3 ft. The place is not fancy by any stretch. The man is a lot of fun to learn from. You can't beat the quality of his parts. You can get a great trigger pull by just using his parts kits.

Benjamin

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    I would also love to build a 1911. It appears that you can spend any where from $400 to $2000+. I have a couple questions. First where would I find good literature on how to build a 1911? Second, where do I get a 1911 parts catalog? How do I know exactly what parts I will need for the build? Last, I am on a budget and could only devote approximately $600-$800 to the build, what kind of quality am I going to receive for that price?

I understand that this might not be cost effective. I understand that it might not be as reliable as a factory 1911 (especially for a first build). I want to do this because I would enjoy it, and I know I would get exactly what I put into it. It seems like it would be a great feeling saying that I hand selected, ordered, and assembled every part on my 1911. In addition I don't see any better way to learn about the 1911 platform.

Any thoughts, advice, additional info would be greatly appreciated.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    First where would I find good literature on how to build a 1911? Second, where do I get a 1911 parts catalog? How do I know exactly what parts I will need for the build? Last, I am on a budget and could only devote approximately $600-$800 to the build

Kuhnhausen books are the best source of information. Brownells.com has some good intro reading, too.

Brownells has every part you could ever need.

You'll spend a good hunk (half) of your budget on books, calipers, specialty files, lug cutters, jigs, other specialty tools, etc unless you already have some of that stuff.

I understand that it might not be as reliable as a factory 1911 (especially for a first build).

The one I build has been 100% reliable. It's reliability is up to you.

-rvb

Benjamin

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    Between my father and I we have a decent work shop and I think I have most of the required tools for the build. The $600 to $800 would be for parts only. What kind of quality do you expect to get from a build in that price range assuming it is well assembled?

Benjamin

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I have built 3 1911's two from Fusion firearms kits and one from scratch. It is not scary and it is not magic. However I also had dabbled a bit with trigger work, thumb saftey fitting, cutting for beavertail safeties dovetailing slides fitting barrels etc...

All 3 I put together run well and are reliable. and they are my favorites to shoot because I built them and tuned them for what type of shooting I want to do with them.
    There is a pretty good learning curve but a lot of self satisfaction when done.
    One thing that I advise though do your first one in Stainless and having it refinished is one less thing you have to worry about.
    Scuffs on stainless will polish out real nice whn your done.

Bob Serva at Fusion Firearms is extremely patient and will help any way he can.

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    It would be a blast and a total learning experience to build my own 1911. If done right, with patience, precision, and quality components. The pride in ownership and shooting of the pistol would be awesome.

Top Bottom