• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jfw46544

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Hot Springs Village, AR
    Has anyone build a 1911 from scratch? Is it cost effective or is cheaper to buy one a new new. I have build a couple of AR's and thinking this may be the next project. Thoughts and input appreciated.

Kingrat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Evansville
    building a nice 1911 from a scratch frame kit and doing it PROPERLY is a very expensive, time consuming, and risky process, you will probably spend just as much on proper tools and the kit as you would spend to get a really good pre-build gun...not to mention the learning curve

now thats not to say you cant get a kit, fit the slide to the frame, and get pre-fit parts (except the thumb safety) and have a reasonably good gun...but it will probably still take some fitting and knowledge of the platform to get the parts to fit up right

if you are interested in building a 1911 AGI made a series of 4 dvds detailing the process

personally, i would say buy one unless you are in love with the platform and want to build a bunch of them its not worth the trouble

hodgej1843

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    SOUTH SIDE INDY
    BUILD A 1911

I ALSO WOULD PROBABLY JUST BUY ONE.YOU CAN GET A COLT
    colt1911006.jpg
    LIGHTWEIGHT COMMANDER FOR AROUND 850.00-900.00 NEW

1/2 shot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    State of Confusion
    I've been wanting to do that myself, from the research I've done it's like anything else you can get inexpensive kits to all out custom. when I start adding up all the parts I would like to use it totals around $2000.00 but I know it can be done for around $400.00 or so. Check out Brownells, Wilson Combat, Caspian, Fosters, Les Baer, Essex Arms and other websites. :)

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I have built quite a few AR15s and would never even attempt to build a 1911. The design may not be difficult, but fitting the parts and getting it to run safely requires magic. That is why there are gunsmiths and then there are gunsmiths who build 1911s.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Building an AR is like playing with legos. With a couple of minor exceptions, usually just things to watch out for for slightly improving accuracy or durability, a monkey could build a basic AR from parts.

I built a 1911 last year. Caspian stainless frame/slide and I cheated a bit and used a kart ezfit barrel.

I put a LOT of hours into it. and a lot of money into tools (and I have about 30% of the tools I'd like to have). Only trashed one part which I thought was impressive.

I read/studied tons of material before I even bought the first piece. including both Kuhnhausen books. and then before actually starting working on a part I went back and re-read the relevant sections.

I have a couple thousand rounds through the gun now. It is the most accurate pistol I own. It's run 100% since day one except for a little tweaking to get the slide to lock back with all my mags. I still haven't done any finish work on it. I even have a blast cabinet out in the garage I haven't used yet. I intend to do a couple more, maybe starting this winter.

You will not save any money. How well the gun runs and shoots is up to you. You have no warranty center to mail it to if it doesn't run. It will take you a LOT of time. If it's worth it or not is up to you.

I'm buying a new factory 1911 for a carry gun. Because I don't think until I have built several guns, each with 10s of thousands of rounds through them, can I say that I KNOW I can build a durable and reliable pistol. For now I'm a garage hack.

note in this picture that I did have a perfectly blended beaver-tail, but I didn't like the shape of it. So recently I put in this one to match my open gun and I haven't gotten around to re-blending it.

dsc03036small.jpg

Good luck,

-rvb

ps (edit), here was the old beavertail, perfectly blended...
    gripsafety2001small.jpg

-rvb

Last edited:

JTPharmD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2009
    Eastside
    I'll say this, not having built any guns, but definitely having similar hobby experience. The first one you build will be incredibly more about the process than the final product. I think RVB's approach of building several before trusting the process (and product) fully. Obviously I lack experience with this specifically, but I am convinced the principle applies.

rrmark

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    Avon
    I started with and inexpensive 1911 R.I. and added the parts that I wanted, trigger, slide stop, new grips. I am having a G.S. do the Novak sights. You have a new gun with some of the custom features.

DBH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Carmel
    I think if you build a 1911 from scratch, and it would cost more in the long run. I think it would be a very cool thing to build my own, but in order for the pistol to run like a well oiled machine, it would be best to buy 1 already and add the features that you want down the road.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I put a 1911 together from parts many years ago. This was before 1911's were offered in stainless steel. I used various parts from different manufacturers. The project turned out pretty well. I had a good book to follow when doing the project. You must have some instruction, be it from a book or video. I used mostly hand tools, like files and stones to do the job. Getting a match bushing and oversize match barrel fitted required the patience of Job! It was a very time consuming venture, with a lot of hand fitting required, but very rewarding. If you use top quality parts, it won't be a cheap undertaking. You can probably get a nice Springfield 1911 for substantially less than you will spend on top quality parts. When you get done, you won't have something worth as much as as a custom gun from a known gunsmith. It may not be worth the parts that you put into it.

I am about average with working with my hands. I am not especially talented. I do have a lot of patience. IMHO, that would be the greatest asset in a project 1911. When I got tired or harried, I'd quit for the day.

I'd say, if you have a lot of patience, and the time and money to spend, then go for it! It was very rewarding in the knowledge gained.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Building an AR is like playing with legos. With a couple of minor exceptions, usually just things to watch out for for slightly improving accuracy or durability, a monkey could build a basic AR from parts.

I built a 1911 last year. Caspian stainless frame/slide and I cheated a bit and used a kart ezfit barrel.

I put a LOT of hours into it. and a lot of money into tools (and I have about 30% of the tools I'd like to have). Only trashed one part which I thought was impressive.

I read/studied tons of material before I even bought the first piece. including both Kuhnhausen books. and then before actually starting working on a part I went back and re-read the relevant sections.

I have a couple thousand rounds through the gun now. It is the most accurate pistol I own. It's run 100% since day one except for a little tweaking to get the slide to lock back with all my mags. I still haven't done any finish work on it. I even have a blast cabinet out in the garage I haven't used yet. I intend to do a couple more, maybe starting this winter.

You will not save any money. How well the gun runs and shoots is up to you. You have no warranty center to mail it to if it doesn't run. It will take you a LOT of time. If it's worth it or not is up to you.

I'm buying a new factory 1911 for a carry gun. Because I don't think until I have built several guns, each with 10s of thousands of rounds through them, can I say that I KNOW I can build a durable and reliable pistol. For now I'm a garage hack.

note in this picture that I did have a perfectly blended beaver-tail, but I didn't like the shape of it. So recently I put in this one to match my open gun and I haven't gotten around to re-blending it.

dsc03036small.jpg

Good luck,

-rvb

ps (edit), here was the old beavertail, perfectly blended...
    gripsafety2001small.jpg

-rvb
    Nice looking gun. I have a Colt Series 70 I have been working on when I have extra time and money. I changed the trigger and some springs so far, wanting to get a nice match grade barrel, was the kart ezfit easy to install, and how does shoot?

Indyvet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    I have always wanted to build one but after reading here I may wait. I guess if I have the disposable income to buy everything and just looking to do it for fun it would be okay. That way if it does not turn out right I won't be so upset. Safety would also be a factor. Last thing I want is to test it out and lose a body part I may need some day. Looks and sounds like there may be more involved than I first thought.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    To all of the people claiming you can just buy a name brand 1911 for less money and it will be just as good as a handbuilt one, you're so wrong! It takes skill, special tools, quality parts and a lot of your free time. But there is no comparison.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Yes, I "built" a .22lr 1911 on a Rock River frame last winter.

To all of the people claiming you can just buy a name brand 1911 for less money and it will be just as good as a handbuilt one, you're so wrong!

Absolutely correct.

I had the fine gunsmiths at Coal Creek Armoury assist me.:D

(Thanks, Shannon and Bob)=>Coal Creek Armory Custom Shop - 865.966.4545

It's a great pistol. It's being Gun Coated now (Flat Earf Brown). I'll post photos when it's done (which should be any day *looks at watch, whistles, taps foot*).

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    To all of the people claiming you can just buy a name brand 1911 for less money and it will be just as good as a handbuilt one, you're so wrong! It takes skill, special tools, quality parts and a lot of your free time. But there is no comparison.

Yep, if done right, a custom 1911 is a lot nicer than an off-the-line piece. OTOH, if done incorrectly, it will be a couple of pounds of scrap metal. I've had a few custom 1911's in my day and the top pistolsmiths truly build masterpieces.

ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County
    If you really want to build a 1911 the correct way I suggest that you attend Cylinder & Slide's course in Fremont, NE. I took the week long class in 2002 and its was one of the best things I have ever done. As for cost, Class, Tools and 1911 parts it ran me about $4000.00 with travel and hotel. You will learn from one of the best in the business, Bill Laughridge.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    If you really want to build a 1911 the correct way I suggest that you attend Cylinder & Slide's course in Fremont, NE. I took the week long class in 2002 and its was one of the best things I have ever done. As for cost, Class, Tools and 1911 parts it ran me about $4000.00 with travel and hotel. You will learn from one of the best in the business, Bill Laughridge.

I'm green with envy! :cheers:

-rvb

Top Bottom