• ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    With all of the discussion on bug out bags on a gun forum I usually see someone talking about how many rifles they would carry or how much ammunition.

Since weight is a premium, versatility is a must, and some are handicapped by their physical conditions, the question is, what is necessary?

Personal protection is a must, and taking game may be a necessity so unless you expect Zombies, a high powered rifle and the weight of the ammunition may not be necessary unless you expect the Red Dawn.

So, what is necessary for taking game? Usually a 22 will bag game you can cook and eat in one day. Who would try to bag a deer then take the meat along with them, with no refrigeration, while hauling gear?

Also, carrying visible rifles could make you a target, so conceal-ability and versatility might be desired. That got me thinking about an all around gun scenario.

Seems like people want a 45 for stopping power and I often carry a 45, yet you can get shot with a 45 and survive. Placement is what matters. So, in my mind, capacity, placement, and versatility takes precedent.

That leads me to think that a high capacity 9mm Beretta or Glock with a Ceiner 22 conversion kit fits the bill. I would prefer a Glock due to it's proven record of firing while dirty and the fact that you can probably get away without oiling it, but I have a Berretta and not a Glock. You can get a Mec-Gar 18 round magazine for a Beretta 92FS which ups the ante for round count and you can use the Ceiner conversion for hunting small game, possibly with the addtion of an Aimpoint and an Aimtech mount. The conversion takes only seconds.

Your thoughts?

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Most of our bug out guns are .22s. Each of us can easily carry 500 rounds in a back, and an ammo can on the cart with thousands of rounds. The guns are lighter, quieter, and can take any game we need to feed ourselves, including deer. No, we may not cart a whole deer with us, but neither would I pass one up and eat what we could while we could. .22s can also drop anyone who needs it, if applied properly.

ghunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    nap-town
    22's are probably the way to go. I carry a 22 in my luggage when I travel with 100 +/- rounds. This is in addition to my Glock 45. I think 2 hand guns would be good for a bug out package. A 22 of some sort, and something more substantial like a 9mm or 45.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    G19 and an AK. Period.

G19 because thats what I carry 24/7 and have a lot of trigger time with. I trust that gun 100%. Same goes for the AK platform. I have nearly two decades of owning and shooting AKs. It is my go-to gun and like the Glock, I trust them 100%.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    If I am buggin' out the guns that I will not leave behind are the following:

1) Suppressed SBR, you must have IMHO.
    2) My G34
    3) Suppressed Ruger 22/45
    4) Serbu Super Shorty, just because I love it so much!

And, yes, I can carry all that easily.

SWAT-DOC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Athough I prefer a 45 I would suppose that more 9mm is available out there. You are going to have to obtain ammo on the run.... you can't carry enough if you don't have a semi. The same with rifle caliber 223 will be the easiest to find. 200 rounds in mags. on your person. By the time you go through 200 the fight will either be over or you will be dead.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    G19 and an AK. Period.

G19 because thats what I carry 24/7 and have a lot of trigger time with. I trust that gun 100%. Same goes for the AK platform. I have nearly two decades of owning and shooting AKs. It is my go-to gun and like the Glock, I trust them 100%.

So you would be willing to sacrifice the equivalent of 1 and 1/2 gallons or more of water to carry the AK and ammo? You can only carry so much and what if your vehicle were no longer available and you had to travel on foot, in a time of duress, during winter to get to where you are going? Weight will probably be one of the biggest factors in survival so cutting down on unnecessary weight would be very important. IMO

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Bugging out

If bugging out on Foot I'd probably Sling a .22 rifle, carry my P95 9mm and bring my AR with a couple of banoliers, then what ever other supplies I could carry, If I'm able to do it by car I'd grab every thing I could. My wife would drive or I'd be the lead Vehicle to clear the way. A lot depends on where I'm at and what is happening, in some situations sitting tight tight be the best Idea, Because If they don't pass the parking lot bill and I'm at work.. I just might be SOL!

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I'm gonna go with nick on this one and say some sort or suppressed .22, it really has the most advantages in almost all situations sans a firefight.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Hoosier8. Yes, I would gladly trade water for a fighting rifle and ammunition. I plan on being on foot. My Jeep would be a luxury I cannot count on. I have walked my actual bug out route, 21 miles in 7 hours, cross county and dirt roads, with a 50 pound ruck and my AK. The weight is not a issue. I spend a lot of time in the gym, away from the buffet line and on the trail, making sure I can handle the load and stay in combat condition.

Regarding water: We live in Indiana. There is water everywhere. Even in winter. If you tell me "what if the water is in a denied area or someone won't let you get to it?" Then that tells me I probably should have a rifle, 'cause things are looking pretty bad.

If I am bugging out, I don't expect to be strolling along shooting rabbits like some episode from Little House on The Praire. I expect it to be a lot more like Bosnia.

These posts discussing BoB or SHTF guns, giving preference to .22s for game harvesting over carrying a rifle you can fight with frustrate me. The cost to me for failure to harvest food, or perhaps wasted meat due to overkill, is small. The cost to me for bringing a .22 to a rifle fight is HUGE-my life and possibly the lives I am charged with protecting. Unacceptable. I will ALWAYS default to carrying a fighting weapon first.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Hoosier8. Yes, I would gladly trade water for a fighting rifle and ammunition. I plan on being on foot. My Jeep would be a luxury I cannot count on. I have walked my actual bug out route, 21 miles in 7 hours, cross county and dirt roads, with a 50 pound ruck and my AK. The weight is not a issue. I spend a lot of time in the gym, away from the buffet line and on the trail, making sure I can handle the load and stay in combat condition.

Regarding water: We live in Indiana. There is water everywhere. Even in winter. If you tell me "what if the water is in a denied area or someone won't let you get to it?" Then that tells me I probably should have a rifle, 'cause things are looking pretty bad.

If I am bugging out, I don't expect to be strolling along shooting rabbits like some episode from Little House on The Praire. I expect it to be a lot more like Bosnia.

These posts discussing BoB or SHTF guns, giving preference to .22s for game harvesting over carrying a rifle you can fight with frustrate me. The cost to me for failure to harvest food, or perhaps wasted meat due to overkill, is small. The cost to me for bringing a .22 to a rifle fight is HUGE-my life and possibly the lives I am charged with protecting. Unacceptable. I will ALWAYS default to carrying a fighting weapon first.

That is why I suggested a dual purpose weapon.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I used to say my M1A as my first choice due to its capcity and the power of the .308 round but now after some hiccups at the range I am second guessing that decision. I am torn greatly between an AK and a Ruger 10/22. Both have their advantages and disadvantages but I can't seem to make up my mind. I really need to decide soon and get the gear in my bag so it is ready to go. As far as my sidearm I decided to go with my XD9 instead of my 45 as a bug out weapon due to weight and more ammo. I am a HUGE fan of the .45 round but decided that I can carry a little more 9mm for the same weight difference but either would be a great choice IMO.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Hoosier, I guess my selection is a dual choice of sorts. You and I both know there is no perfect solution. Fun to discuss, but there just isn't a one sized fits all gun out there. My BOB AK is a Chinese underfolder. It packed down smaller than an M4. It goes right on my pack, in a chair bag and nobody is the wiser. In fact, I have been stopped trekking by an LEO while carrying that way and she said nothing. With that AK I can fight and I could bark a squirrel off a tree.

The G19 is self explanatory. IWB Bladetech UNCH, and 3 spare mags and a light. GTG.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    We plan for the worse by prepping and having a BOL, BOB, supplies, training etc.

If you are choosing a .22 over a battle rifle I dont think you are planning for the worse.

Top Bottom