• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    My parents had this book, and they just gave it to me. I am glad to have it. There is a lot of info in here. I started to print a bunch of articles from the net, but this takes care of a whole bunch of them. This is an older edition of the book. That means there are newer editions of course. This one is a little cheaper.

Couple of highlights
    structure construction (log adobe
    firplace construction
    basic wood working
    livestock raising butchering skinning etc.
    gardening
    soap making

I cannot possibly remember all of the items in the book, so it is good to have a reference. It is good to have a reference of how to do stuff our forefathers did without Walmarts and electricity.

Amazon.com: Back to Basics (9780895770868): Editors of Reader's Digest: Books

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Nice find, thanks for sharing. I looked at Amazon and can not believe someone wants $200 for this book, the used prices are more reasonable.. Might have to pick up a copy for the library..

Thanks!

TJ

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    Carla Emery's " The Encyclopedia of Country Living " is a much better , more thorough reference. It has tried and true information that's been tested. That being said I own both books.

tooleman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    If I could only have one book......it would have to be this. The Self-Sufficient Life and How to Live It by John Seymour best book going imo this book has everything you would need to live from gardening, to making bricks, to livestock.

loki.fish

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    SW Indiana
    Just an FYI, I found that book used, listed in good condition, for less than $10 on half.ebay.com

abesbooks.com has them for under $10 as well.

I've bought stuff from both and recommend both, I rarely find a book cheaper anywhere else.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    I have had this book for 20 years. Seen the newer ones. It's really an overview with great ideas but not exactly a How-To book.

Top Bottom