• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I’ve pretty well got all my truck preps figured out, I just need something to carry them in if I have to leave it behind.

Any thoughts or personal experience on this? Had some recommendations in reviews I read online and the reviews are decent.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    I’ve pretty well got all my truck preps figured out, I just need something to carry them in if I have to leave it behind.

Any thoughts or personal experience on this? Had some recommendations in reviews I read online and the reviews are decent.

I've got one just like this (maybe a different "brand" but identical).

A few things I noticed:

It doesn't have the same useful space as the cheapy Ozark Trail bookbag I was using before.
    The main partition isn't quite thick enough for my tastes.
    The middle partition is just a bit too thick (especially since the zipper doesn't go all the way to the bottom).
    Accessing the bottom part of the outer partitions can be challenging if the top one is well stuffed.
    Only the main partition's inner pouches have enough material to be really useful. The ones in the middle & outer partition are very thin and won't take more than pens/notepads/maps. Tools are not going to fit.

Seems to be well sewn together.
    Zippers aren't YKK but they're nice and sturdy anyway.
    Molle is properly sized and can serve for expansion pouches.
    Shoulder straps make it comfortable to carry (~40lbs) and I rarely use the waist belt.

The three adjustments I've made so far were:
    1q canteen/bottle holder
    1/8" shock cord on the front for light bulky items
    Carabiners/hooks for the top corner loops.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I've got one just like this (maybe a different "brand" but identical).

A few things I noticed:

It doesn't have the same useful space as the cheapy Ozark Trail bookbag I was using before.
    The main partition isn't quite thick enough for my tastes.
    The middle partition is just a bit too thick (especially since the zipper doesn't go all the way to the bottom).
    Accessing the bottom part of the outer partitions can be challenging if the top one is well stuffed.
    Only the main partition's inner pouches have enough material to be really useful. The ones in the middle & outer partition are very thin and won't take more than pens/notepads/maps. Tools are not going to fit.

Seems to be well sewn together.
    Zippers aren't YKK but they're nice and sturdy anyway.
    Molle is properly sized and can serve for expansion pouches.
    Shoulder straps make it comfortable to carry (~40lbs) and I rarely use the waist belt.

The three adjustments I've made so far were:
    1q canteen/bottle holder
    1/8" shock cord on the front for light bulky items
    Carabiners/hooks for the top corner loops.
    Thanks! For the price I think it’s worth a shot.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis

My experience with cheap bags like this is that they will fail on you when you need them most. I would check military surplus sites or your local outdoors sports store and pick up a sturdy military pack or a backpacking rig. It would also probably be a good idea to figure out how much you can comfortably carry for any given distance. My tendency was to buy too big a bag and overfill it, then struggle to carry it for a mile or two.

A sturdy milsurp bag or a good backpacking rig will cost more than what you were looking at, but it will last longer and not break or tear as easily.

nickc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    Really awesome post.

We should do one for a get home bag .

Or my get home from work bag.

Enough water for my walk, and some energy bars . I figure it'd take me 2 days to get home.
    First aid , some rope, lighters, flash lights, extra magazines , head lamp, a poncho.

In the winter it expands to include more socks, gloves, hats, and keep coveralls in truck .

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Really awesome post.

We should do one for a get home bag .

Or my get home from work bag.

Enough water for my walk, and some energy bars . I figure it'd take me 2 days to get home.
    First aid , some rope, lighters, flash lights, extra magazines , head lamp, a poncho.

In the winter it expands to include more socks, gloves, hats, and keep coveralls in truck .
    Probably at least two pair of socks, since your feet will sweat and they'll get wet when walking. With two pair, you can switch them out and either tie them to your pack to dry (if it's hot) or put them inside your layers to dry (if it's cold).

Top Bottom