• ...and so much more!
  • Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Are you saying you have one in your wife's BOB, or one for your wife in yours? Because in my opinion, each individual in the family should have their own BOB.

I am new here, and a co-worker has mentioned this site several times. Tonigh he mentioned that there was a thread on BOB building (As I have been discussing with him, my building a BOB recently).
    I've been using this site as a guideline: Bug Out Bag – The 7 Types of Gear You Must Have to Survive
    But I've found alot of simple additions reading the thread here (Nails, screws, Dryer lint for tinder! great!)

I'm struggling a bit with the need of our family of four. My wife and I (Just over 40), 17 yr old daughter (likely to be out of the house within the next 2 years with any luck lol) and my 10 yr old son. I am currently building our BOB's trying to split the load between my wife and I, as well as wanting my children to carry essential items in the event we should get split up. Unfortunately, I get most of the load, and I'm trying not to overbuild this early in the stage.
    We're no survivalists by any stretch, but we live in a rural area, do quite a bit of camping, etc... so we're not afraid of the woods/outdoors. We could get by... we just not might know exactly which plants are edible or not... Basic firearms consist of .38 special, .22 rifle, 16 ga. shotgun.
    Our current Bug out location is 40 miles away. Our hope is auto transport will be available, but if not, we're huffin it over 3 days through more rural areas and backroads.
    My concerns are what will the children carry themselves, without being 'overloaded'? ie, mini BOB's for each of my children with bare essentials should we get split up. Currently they have clothing with rain coat, small utility knife/multi tool, 3 sources of fire (match blaster, butane lighter, fireproof matches), 20' 550 cord, I'm still working on basic first aid and fishing kit, Whistle. Clearly I need to add a can (Mom and I have a basic mess kit with utensils each). 1 mini mag light, 1 keychain LED light. 9 mre pouches, 3 bottles water. Simple 20 channel walkie talkie with 10mi range. Lastly, Ten 1 oz silver eagles to use for barter if need be.
    I'm concerned about putting too much weight on the 10 yr old.... anything I'm missing that should be more essential?

Also... can you all come up with a convincing argument that I can use on my wife as to why I should get an AR? :)

A personal preference: In both our vehicles, we have 1 BOB with another pack. We have enough of the "10 essentials" for both of us, but I have more camping experience than my wife and can probably get by with less. I can also carry more stuff, so my pack has the primary equipment. This means that in an emergency, I only have to yank a single pack out of the vehicle and I have most of what I want to carry.

I would think that a BOB for kids/young adults should have the "10 essentials" plus food and water. To me that means they should carry their food, water, extra clothing and sleep equipment. Anyone over the age of 10 should be able to do that without too much trouble.

Hoosier1816

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Barter Items

Ten 1 oz silver eagles to use for barter if need be.
    I'm concerned about putting too much weight on the 10 yr old.... anything I'm missing that should be more essential?

Also... can you all come up with a convincing argument that I can use on my wife as to why I should get an AR? :)

Not to get off track here, but I've been thinking about this. I have silver coins and other things (cigarette papers, lighter flints, condoms .....) for barter as well. But being the trusting soul that I am, if certain people think they can take these items, especially silver/gold without the barter part, they will. I'd be very careful about flashing such things around.

Now to the BOBs. Again, situational. One tries to put things in a bag that will help in all (most) situations, but it's impossible. For what is one really trying to prepare? Earthquake? Flood? Total SHTF? My BOB (if I have one ...) might weigh 80 pounds. Too heavy, but I think everything is essential. I review it now and again to see if something can be taken out. Ammo is REALLY heavy, but I can't lose that. So first, think about your possible needs and put in things for that. try to think if there is something that could be easily found somewhere, that really doesn't need to go in the back. Improvise. Store caches at your BOL so that if you lose your BOB you won't be screwed. Plan your route, more than one way. Look what resources are available along those routes.

So, for your kids and you and your wife, the backs should be well designed and comfortable for the long hike you may have to take. If after a mile or less your back is breaking, then it's no good. Once you get something, practice hiking with it. Things to put in them, basics. Mostly training them what to do if you get separated. "Don't Panic." Douglas Adams.

The females might want to also carry feminine protection items.

Dryer lint is very flammable, but not so great if tightly packed together. Remember that. As one is hiking along, be on the lookout for a number of things that could be used as tender. Punk wood. Wasp nest. Pine needles. ... put them in your pocket as you wander.

Sorry, I was all over the place with this. :dunno:

Hoosier1816

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    convincing argument that I can use on my wife as to why I should get an AR?

Forgot about this. 1. Buy the AR. 2. Show your wife the AR you bought for your family's protection. 3. If that doesn't work, forget I mentioned this.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2012
    Evansville
    Hmmmm....A lot of comments here. I guess, in my opinion, you have to determine what your bag is for. 72hrs? Fleeing a situation, medical, or all of the above. Your bag should HELP insure you to get where you are going. Your bag should be within your budget and each person in your group should have the same basic items plus whatever personal items they require.

I have my "10 Second Bug out" bag. This bag is for when all hell breaks loose and I have no time to do anything but react. That "bag" is actually a carry belt with 4 glock 22 mags, a loaded Glock 22 with lasermax and nite sights, 2 AR mag pouches loaded with 6 Magpul mags all holding 300Blackout. The belt has a compass, firestarter, Gerber LMF, Taser, Gerber multi-tool, Surefire flashlight, and gas mask. Next to the bag...Colt M-4 with acog, doc optic and other top end options including nite vision and Sling with 100" of para cord. I stand a fighting chance no matter the situation with that rig!

I also have a 72 Hr bag. This bag includes everything that I would need to survive on my own, with no help for 72 hrs. 5 pc sleep system,4 season pup tent, firestarters, all weather lighters, change of clothes(ecwg),Boots,First aid, high calorie food bars, water tabs, meds, eye wear, batteries, bladder bag, wipes, bug spray(Clothes are already treated), 550 cord, duct tape,reflective heat blanket, personal care items, 2 boxes pistol ammo, 5 boxes rifle ammo, MREs,walkie talkie(36 mile), maps, sas survival guide,radio(information)....from there, I should be able to use whatever I find in transit to get me by until I'm at the bug out location. Your bug out location should be long term and self supporting.
    My two cents....
    :twocents::rockwoot:

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    Hmmmm....A lot of comments here. I guess, in my opinion, you have to determine what your bag is for. 72hrs? Fleeing a situation, medical, or all of the above. Your bag should HELP insure you to get where you are going. Your bag should be within your budget and each person in your group should have the same basic items plus whatever personal items they require.

I have my "10 Second Bug out" bag. This bag is for when all hell breaks loose and I have no time to do anything but react. That "bag" is actually a carry belt with 4 glock 22 mags, a loaded Glock 22 with lasermax and nite sights, 2 AR mag pouches loaded with 6 Magpul mags all holding 300Blackout. The belt has a compass, firestarter, Gerber LMF, Taser, Gerber multi-tool, Surefire flashlight, and gas mask. Next to the bag...Colt M-4 with acog, doc optic and other top end options including nite vision and Sling with 100" of para cord. I stand a fighting chance no matter the situation with that rig!

I also have a 72 Hr bag. This bag includes everything that I would need to survive on my own, with no help for 72 hrs. 5 pc sleep system,4 season pup tent, firestarters, all weather lighters, change of clothes(ecwg),Boots,First aid, high calorie food bars, water tabs, meds, eye wear, batteries, bladder bag, wipes, bug spray(Clothes are already treated), 550 cord, duct tape,reflective heat blanket, personal care items, 2 boxes pistol ammo, 5 boxes rifle ammo, MREs,walkie talkie(36 mile), maps, sas survival guide,radio(information)....from there, I should be able to use whatever I find in transit to get me by until I'm at the bug out location. Your bug out location should be long term and self supporting.
    My two cents....
    :twocents::rockwoot:

Except for bleeding out, I saw no medical in the 10 second. NONE and it's a gun fighting rig.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Except for bleeding out, I saw no medical in the 10 second. NONE and it's a gun fighting rig.

+1 People tend to forget that the post SHTF gun ranges will likely be a two way affair. I need to buy some more of the first aid kits on your website.

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    I recently changed my philosophy:

A blown meniscus in the knee has made me become a "Bug-In-er." I used to could do a 35 lb. ruck two miles in 20-25 minutes. Now, I can't even push-mow my own city yard without drugs. Our BOL is a very inconspicuous storage rental barn, one among 200, big enough for an ATV 4x4 w generator, and lots of stash: ammo, foods, potable water, sanitary water, fuel, heaters, sleep- and weather-survival gear. I can walk "on meds" to the BOL now in an hour, loaded with minimum pack of munchies, water, and two GLOCKs of same caliber and 2 ea @ 6-pouch magazines, Leatherman-300 on one boot, 8"
    pig-sticker in the other. Various utilities on belt, incl. fire-piston, 1st aid & compass. Total of 12 pounds. I sometimes carry a CampCarbine .45, (2 pounds) for commonality of ammo, and at no time have I been stopped by LEO, or gotten many stares from passers-by. Just an old guy with a long stick (and a baton) out for a walk. It hurts but it's fun. EBG

Last edited:

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Yeah, I own 5 watt Icoms and they couldn't reach out that far in perfect conditions anywhere on earth.

Well, to be (somewhat) fair, he MIGHT be carrying a pair of PRC-77s with 8 ft whip antennae. They might be able to reach that far.

Of course, atmospherics can play a role, even with a VHF/FM radio. I was once hovering at 3 feet in central Washington State and had a radio conversation with a Range Control guy at Camp AP Hill in Virginia on my VHF/FM radio.

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    Of course, atmospherics can play a role, even with a VHF/FM radio. I was once hovering at 3 feet in central Washington State and had a radio conversation with a Range Control guy at Camp AP Hill in Virginia on my VHF/FM radio.

Well of course but most people wouldn't refer to a PRC-77 as a walkie talkie. Most just assume that because Cobra or Motorola say it's a 10 or 20 mile radio that it will be even at .5 watts.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Well of course but most people wouldn't refer to a PRC-77 as a walkie talkie. Most just assume that because Cobra or Motorola say it's a 10 or 20 mile radio that it will be even at .5 watts.

Well, no, most people wouldn't consider a PRC-77 a "walkie-talkie". But then, most people wouldn't think their hand-held transceiver would have a 20+ mile range, either.

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    Well, no, most people wouldn't consider a PRC-77 a "walkie-talkie". But then, most people wouldn't think their hand-held transceiver would have a 20+ mile range, either.

Ignorance is bliss?? lol Most people take a company for its word on the capabilities of a product but rarely test it to be true.

Hoosier1816

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Steel Wool

Is thread is so long I don't remember if someone else posted it or if I already did, but steel wool is a good fire starter. I don't know if one would want it in one's bag, but good information to know. All one needs is steel wool and a nine volt battery. Here is a video on how it works: http://youtu.be/7eT-buIKUpY

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    Trust me:

The people with whom you barter will know the right stuff. You might have luck even bartering ammo for stuff (there is a mom/pop gas station near here that has filled up my 15-gal. tank several times for boxes of .45ACP Silver Tips. They won't do it for white-box stuff. I paid $9 for the Winchesters.) But you can buy anything with silver. I still have a stash of silver-dollars that I paid $1 for, long ago. They'll be the last to go.
    Pre-1964 US silver coins have the most silver in them.

Top Bottom