• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChrisK1977

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    $699 for the whole set up. Not the best set up but if you are on a budget. If you go black or green stock it's even cheaper.

CombatNinja

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2012
    Lafayette
    What exactly do you have tgere? What kind of rifflemis it and what optic do you have also did the camo come on the riffle if not where did you have it dipped and what is the pattern name of the cammo its pretty sweet.
    $699 for the whole set up. Not the best set up but if you are on a budget. If you go black or green stock it's even cheaper.

ChrisK1977

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    Came with a Nikko Sterling 4-16x44, same brand bipod and it came dipped already. It's a Howa 1500 with a 20" heavy barrel.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    I just got a Ruger American 243 awhile back and am very happy with it, 100 - 300yds not a problem topped with a Leupold 3x9x40.. Just posted some pics of before and after my paint job of it... Could of got the redfield scope package but went for the up grade to a better scope...

CombatNinja

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2012
    Lafayette
    OK so pretty much the dip is just for looks and gun safe queens its not funtional.? Because when I buy guns I use them the don't just sit in the safe.

ChrisK1977

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    I don't think it's going to stay on there completely, if you would buy one like mine just don't get mad if the dip comes off on spots. It will still look different even with a few worn bare spots. Mine isn't going to be a safe queen and not going to be upset with bare spots. If they get to bad I will just buy a couple cans of duracoat or something like that.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Im not saying the SFWA is a bad Idea, but when you do a pros and cons vs the Viper 6.5-20x44 BDC for 325 I think its considered "ballpark"

PRO's for Viper

Much better glass
    Much better zoom

Cons for Viper

Less internal travel
    Turrets not quite as good
    Not measuring reticle.

Both are extremely durable,

I second the Vortex over the SWFA around the $300 mark. The glass clarity is good and you may find yourself wanting to change magnification for varying situations.

The reason I suggested the SWFA is due to the tracking. When someone says things like "long range", "sniper rifle", etc....., I guess I think of something capable of making predictable hits @ 1k meters +, on a man sized target. I realize that's probably not the case for most though, as evidence to all the suggestions for 556 or monkey'd with Mosin's in this thread.
    In my brains proverbial long range rig, priority numeral uno is: perfect tracking. And I've never had an equally priced variable power optic track as well as a fixed power (mostly referring to the SWFA), including the Viper I briefly owned. That's not a knock against Vortex; They're great optics, and have a ton of cool features & options. But a variable is a more complicated design, and there's always some give & take within a given price range. From my experience, the tracking is impeccable with the the SS, and was very good in the Vortex. In fact, I think the SWFA tracks every bit as good as my M3A that cost me 4X as much.
    Also, if we're talking long range (again, 1k'ish meter range), I want a fixed power or front focal plane, with a ranging reticle. If not for ranging, at least for wind holdovers (because it often changes faster than I can dial). Sure, you can set a sfp to a designated power setting where the stadia will be correct, but it's way too easy for my simple mind to forget or not have it exactly where it needs to be. And when you're shooting that far, close ain't going to cut it. I also tend to try and top out in the 10X range with a > $300 range optic, because generally much past 14X, there's too many imperfections in the lense and the clarity begins to really diminish. If we're talking about "sniper rifles", then we're talking about man sized targets, and a 10X is plenty for me. Now something like gophers or other small varmints, give me as much magnification as possible and keep your fingers crossed.

I know I'm preaching to the choir with you two. You're both really knowledgeable about this stuff from what I've read and I don't want to come off as a know it all, internet expert. Just speaking from my experience, and the KISS aproach that has worked pretty well for me so far. I'm still a little surprised that a $300 optic can track like this, and the ruggedness is incredible. I had an FAL that loved destroying every scope I fed it, and it's the only thing I found in that price range that could survive it. The fact that they've been able to keep the price the same for at least 10 years (maybe longer, my memory sucks), makes it a real winner in my opinion. Especially for a guy that wants to shoot stuff really far away, but is working with a tight budget. I remember back when they sold for much more money (pre SWFA), and guys wanted them because they were supposedly an issued Navy optic.

Last edited:

SSE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Tippecanoe Co.
    I like all rifles and I think everybody should have as many as possible.
    If you are trying to keep it as cheap as possible then the Savage Axis with the accutrigger I think they call it the XP is the way to go.
    It would be cheaper than a Mosin by the time you got it all fixed up.
    The Bushnell Elite 10x is the cheapest scope worth buying. $200 @ Gander

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    The reason I suggested the SWFA is due to the tracking. When someone says things like "long range", "sniper rifle", etc....., I guess I think of something capable of making predictable hits @ 1k meters +, on a man sized target. I realize that's probably not the case for most though, as evidence to all the suggestions for 556 or monkey'd with Mosin's in this thread.
    In my brains proverbial long range rig, priority numeral uno is: perfect tracking. And I've never had an equally priced variable power optic track as well as a fixed power (mostly referring to the SWFA), including the Viper I briefly owned. That's not a knock against Vortex; They're great optics, and have a ton of cool features & options. But a variable is a more complicated design, and there's always some give & take within a given price range. From my experience, the tracking is impeccable with the the SS, and was very good in the Vortex. In fact, I think the SWFA tracks every bit as good as my M3A that cost me 4X as much.
    Also, if we're talking long range (again, 1k'ish meter range), I want a fixed power or front focal plane, with a ranging reticle. If not for ranging, at least for wind holdovers (because it often changes faster than I can dial). Sure, you can set a sfp to a designated power setting where the stadia will be correct, but it's way too easy for my simple mind to forget or not have it exactly where it needs to be. And when you're shooting that far, close ain't going to cut it. I also tend to try and top out in the 10X range with a > $300 range optic, because generally much past 14X, there's too many imperfections in the lense and the clarity begins to really diminish. If we're talking about "sniper rifles", then we're talking about man sized targets, and a 10X is plenty for me. Now something like gophers or other small varmints, give me as much magnification as possible and keep your fingers crossed.

I know I'm preaching to the choir with you two. You're both really knowledgeable about this stuff from what I've read and I don't want to come off as a know it all, internet expert. Just speaking from my experience, and the KISS aproach that has worked pretty well for me so far. I'm still a little surprised that a $300 optic can track like this, and the ruggedness is incredible. I had an FAL that loved destroying every scope I fed it, and it's the only thing I found in that price range that could survive it. The fact that they've been able to keep the price the same for at least 10 years (maybe longer, my memory sucks), makes it a real winner in my opinion. Especially for a guy that wants to shoot stuff really far away, but is working with a tight budget. I remember back when they sold for much more money (pre SWFA), and guys wanted them because they were supposedly an issued Navy optic.

Very few people use the reticle for ranging anymore. Most people carry a range finder and call it a day. When I put measuring reticle as a con this is what I was referring to. In my mind either a scope tracks perfect, or it doesn't track at all. There is absolutely no middle ground, and both scopes on the list track 100% perfect.

I've heard the whole "Navy sniper optic" in the past, but I've never known a military sniper to be on a strictly budget with their optics, and out of the countless military sniper's (real snipers not guys on the net saying they are snipers) I've worked with none were ever issued the SS. If your unit is not on a strict budget, I think everyone would agree their are better options. So I find holes in that claim. I can think of at least a dozen optics who claim to be "military issue, military grade, or military over run" but that is called marketing.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I am looking to purchase a budget rifle to put together a so called "sniper rifle" to engaged targets 100 yard and farther.
    I was thinking of the 308 cartrage, possibly a Remington 700 series. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

The Rem 700 is a good choice, I don't know what you consider a "Budget Rifle". However I would also look at the Savage line. I do think the .308 is a great choice as there are a lot more different factory ammo choices available so it should be fairly easy to find one in the weight and bullet design your new rifle prefers.

By the way I consider 100 yards as short range, a "decent" sniper rifle in .308 should be capable of hits on a 12" square at 1000 Yards with a decent scope (I would sure look at the Vortex line). I do have a Rem 700 in .243, a Winchester lever in .308, a LR .308 (with stainless bull barrel and Vortex scope), and other .308's and 30-06's and many military rifles / calibers including a couple of Garand's.

As has been stated the .243 round would be excellent at ranges way beyond your expectations. However bullet / ammo choices are much more limited.

Don't know your expertise or hobbies, but if you reload I would definitely stay with the .308, due to the large variety of components available.

Last edited:

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Since Im guessing the OP doesn't reload, my vote would be for either a rifle in .223 or 308 just depending on the range of intended use. As far as rifles a lot has to do with preference now a days. But for me I lean toward the Savage and Howa line of rifles. Either take a look at the Mod 11 Hog Hunter series in a Savage or the TargetMaster series in a Howa you wont be disappointed with either for a nice beginner rig that wont break the bank. As far as glass Id be happy with either SWFA or the Vortex Viper :D

CallSign Snafu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 3, 2015
    Indy
    Go with Savage. Remington's quality control over the 3-4 years has been terrible with many of their rifles as well as their ammo. Multiple police departments had to send back heavy barreled 700's due to them not functioning off the rack. However if you can get a slightly older 700 those are good. But savage has always been great for me great accuracy with more bang for buck to buy good optics.

Top Bottom