• ...and so much more!
  • Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I never really understood the point in that, I don't mind my guns being nice looking but to the point of being useless doesn't seem to make any sense. The MC should have just given him some gold and a Thompson to use. IMHO anyway.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I never really understood the point in that, I don't mind my guns being nice looking but to the point of being useless doesn't seem to make any sense. The MC should have just given him some gold and a Thompson to use. IMHO anyway.

I agree with you completely.

However, I have seen Capt. Winters (of Band of Brothers) interviewed regarding a similar situation with a Luger that was presented to him.

Having not endured the fire of war I know that there is an element to firearms appreciation that will always be beyond me. I know that not everyone exits the crucible of conflict in the same was as others who have undergone the same experience.

Were the Thompson mine, I would surely fire it. Knowing that the General may arrived at a different perspective I also respect that, I just don't understand it.

Regards,

Doug

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Owned and shot all but one. The Tommy. Was on a kick to find one awhile back. Pretty much over it now.

Not a real exotic list for the average gun person.

My list would be more like G18,SAW,Mini gun, grenade launcher of some kind, MP5 I would feel good about those and could then kick off.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Yes, have shot the M1 Garand, .44 Magnums (Ruger Super Blackhawk and Desert Eagle), and M16 (not technically an M4, but I consider it still better as a full rifle), and i don't care whether I ever shoot an AK, but it would be especially nice to shoot a Thompson 1928 or one of its many variants, and an 1873 Winchester would also be nice, even though I've shot several different lever guns.
    I've shot the "Ma Deuce" quite a lot in my four year stint in the Navy, and to borrow from Indiucky's term, the gungasm takes quite a while to wear off after launching a few through that beast.
    Also shot quite a bit with the M14, the slightly more refined and superior in every way (sorry, M1 guys) rifle to its daddy, the M1.
    I really enjoyed shooting our M60s as well.
    Also, did plenty of shooting with our arsenal of 1911A1s and 870s and 500s.
    I still lament that they never saw fit to lets us have a go with our M79.

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    Not on the list, but I have shot the .50 cal MG, mounted on top of an APC. And the same day, I got to fire an M-60 MG off a bipod.

You cannot imagine the feeling of power you have when you grab the spade handles on the 50 and bring the barrel onto the target. Dayum!

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I've shot everything on that list. The Tommy was by far the most fun, and I still get the oh face whenever I think about it. I reeeeeeaaaallllyy want to shoot an M2, but I figure the only chance I'd have at that will be at Knob Creek sometime. I got to "fire" an MG42 and an MP40. The quotations are because I was running blanks through them at a reenactment. It was still a hell of a lot of fun to let em rip though.
    Besides the M2, I'd like to add a M60, Bren gun, STG44 (fondled a real one but didn't get to fire it), SVT 40, AA12, mini gun. There's always going to be a list, so why not make it a good one. Actually why not go real big. I want to launch a grenade.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I've fired everything on the list. I'm giving myself a pass on the M4 because they didn't make one 30+ years ago. I figure an M16A1 and an AR15 carbine, together can count. On the list the Thompson was my hands-down favorite--a 45ACP without recoil!!!
    In my experience, the only "small arm" more awesome to fire was an M2. Maybe a MAG (M240). I'd like to fire a vulcan though--do they have those at knob creek?:D

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Hmm, I've done it all (I've even owned or still own all of them except the 1873 Winchester... at least in semi-automatic form).

Yeah, list is not complete without belt fed guns in there. I've gotten the chance to shoot a 1919A4, M60, MG42, and an MG34 (thanks to Profire). They take fun to a whole new level.

Also, I really want to shoot a cannon at some point. I've thought about buying a smaller, but still full size black powder cannon over the years, but since I have no idea where I'd shoot it, it's stayed in the realm of fantasy. Heck, I guess I can own a live more-modern gun, since it would just be registered as a destructive device. Same $200 tax stamp as with a suppressor or an SBR. Still have the problem of where to shoot it though (and where to get the powder to load the shell/propellant bags).

Top Bottom