• ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Show the love for Buck!

We owe the popularity of the locking folder to Buck and it's classic model 110 "Folding Hunter."

The Buck 110 continues to be one of the best cutting tools available on the market, from the humble standard factory offering to the special editions from various retailers to the custom versions you can "build" at their custom shop.

Yeah, they're heavy, but they work well and they feel good in your hand.

The knife I use most often around the house is a Buck 110. For the last couple of years, it was a factory version that had a BG-42 blade installed by the custom shop. Now I'm using the BassPro edition with a CPM 154M blade and so far it's a winner. I also have the Cabela's Alaskan Guide Series Buck 100 with CPM S30V, which I keep handy for special occasions. If I ever go to a barbecue where I need to wear my gun in a barbecue rig, the S30V Buck 110 will be part of the ensemble.

The 110's little brother, the model 112 "Ranger" feels even better in the hand for some reason, but there are fewer options for upgrades. Still, the standard 112 is a very serviceable tool because Buck (via Paul Bos) does a superior heat treatment of their standard 420HC steel.

Show the Buck love! SHOW IT! :patriot:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Can't go wrong with a Buck knife.

I bought a Buck 110 35 years ago and I've owned at least one ever since. I lost one and replaced it about 30 years ago and I bought one in a pawn shopt at a bargain price a few years ago. My wife took it right over and has owned it ever since along with her Buck straight woodsman.

I've owned a lot of Buck knives over the years, a bird knife, folding stockman, 119, and woodsman.

They do tend to grow legs if you don't keep an eye on them.

x2bax

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I bought a Buck 870 last night becuase I wanted a cheap work knife with a serrated edge to replace my my crkt wild weasel that I was beating up( now sharpened and strictly a SD knife). So far not bad for a cheap knife we will see how it holds up to the amount of abuse that I subject my work blades to., this is my first Buck.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Congratulations! I'm not familiar with that model, though.

Soon will feel the urge to get a Buck 110 . . .

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I carry my 110 every day on my belt and use it every day in my hand. It is the best knife I have owned. I have considered drilling it and putting a metal bar in the blade so I could open it one handed.

:rockwoot:

Plus, it gets great responses from the college girls...
    :):

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    my first hunting knife was a 110 in 83, It's done a great service, I've wore the blade down and have a buck crosslock now and I've got a couple of the fixed blade bucks for butchering,

I wish buck would not have started getting knives made across the water

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I carry my 110 every day on my belt and use it every day in my hand. It is the best knife I have owned. I have considered drilling it and putting a metal bar in the blade so I could open it one handed.

:rockwoot:

:):

Any Buck 110 can be opened and closed with one hand right from the factory.

Grab the back of the blade and flip the handle open. Most of mine I could just push the lock button and flip the blade open.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    my first hunting knife was a 110 in 83, It's done a great service, I've wore the blade down and have a buck crosslock now and I've got a couple of the fixed blade bucks for butchering,

I didn't know they were. Are they all made over seas now or just the cheap looking plastic crap they make that looks "tactical".

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I didn't know they were. Are they all made over seas now or just the cheap looking plastic crap they make that looks "tactical".

My 110 was made in America and was bought in the last 2 years. The sub $50 Bucks are from overseas, but not the 110 to my knowledge.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    My 110 was made in America and was bought in the last 2 years. The sub $50 Bucks are from overseas, but not the 110 to my knowledge.

your right, i wasn't clear, I bought some of the "tatikool" looking knives not because they were cool because they were a decent shaped blade for butchering and low cost AND had the buck name on them.

They are actually holding up pretty good, the steel doesn't quite have the edge holding as the other bucks but they sharpen up and I have 2 of them so with both sharp I can get through a day of cutting if I remember to hit them PROPERLY on the steel every once in a while

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008

There's a couple of my buck knives in there.
    17547a_Blade_collection_86.jpg

I just looked over their web page for a half hour or so. Kind of depressing after remembering Buck Knives as a great american company producing high quality, high functioning tools. Half that plastice glitter crap looked like something Paris Hilton would have on a chain around her neck.

I didn't see a lot not made in the USA though according to their page. A few cheap o looking fillet knives and a short fillet knife they call a bait knife.

Several of my own favorite knives are not even apparently made any more, bird knife and the 118. Guess they don't have the space in the United States to make a knife for bird hunting and still produce the big sellers like combination carabiner, gut hook, tactical Barbie and Ken pink cheese spreaders with the functioning pocket clips.

This thing looks like it belongs in some goofball's "man purse".
    BUCK

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Mine (except the newest) have a little gizmo called a "One Armed Bandit," which is a thumbstud that attaches to the blade of any folder with a little set screw. Unfortunately, they are not longer manufactured. I think you can find them (or copies) on E-Bay occasionally. I need to get another for my BassPro Buck 110. If I can't find one, I'll move the one I have on my BG-42 since I won't be using it much for the time being.

Well, there you have it. I know what I'm wearing the next time I am in Bloomington!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

You can get a new blade installed at the factory if you want. Of course, that knife probably has sentimental value, so it makes sense just to get a new one.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

The model 110 and all of the knives that are "classic" Buck designs are still made in their factory in Idaho. 110s of the current vintage now have a little outline of Idaho stamped on the blade to differentiate them from knives made at the original factory and HQ in El Cajon, California.

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    I bought a Buck 501 about 34 years ago. It stayed in my pocket until about 1995.....I lost it while swimming in a lake. I felt like I lost my wedding ring.

I have since replaced it along with a 110, a fixed blade NightHawk, a Buck-Strider folder, and a 3" skinner knife.

For the price, they're hard to beat.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    10 years ago I picked up a black polymer Buck at Gander Mtn. Its the shape of the 112. Its been pretty indestructible.

That sounds like the original BuckLite.

Does it have a "422" stamped on the blade?

I ised to carry mine all the time in the late 1980s. I remember a fun incident when I was visiting some buddies who were blacksmiths. They were cutting free-hanging 1-inch manila rope with really long knives they'd made. I asked if I could try, but they kind of laughed at me when I said I wanted to do it with my little BuckLite (3.25 inch blade made from 425CM stainless). Then I pulled it out, took a swipe, and there was a big chunk of rope on the floor. :D Granted, technique and hand speed play a big role when you use a short blade, but it has to be pretty sharp too.

Top Bottom