• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    The Star is far from the only source which has reported on this. I've read many, I've spoken with folks affected. Distrusting one source does not make the issue disappear. Folks should be allowed to do just about anything on their own property provided they are also held responsible when their activities cause harm to others. Government should have the authority to regulate that which poses significant risks to resources, such as high fence deer operations. Two fences, 25' tall and 25 yards between and you can raise all the freakish deer you want, chain them to a tree and get paid the big bucks by the pathetic who consider it "hunting" to shoot them.

I still say the man who's fish farm was flooded and released the Asian carp into the Mississippi River system should be forced, at the end of a gun if necessary, to spend every waking moment of the rest of his life attempting to remove them from the waters they have no business being in. Instead, someone came up with an excuse and everyone who enjoy(ed) the now virtually destroyed resources gets screwed because he wanted to make a living and couldn't have cared less about the affect his choices had on others.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    The Star is far from the only source which has reported on this. I've read many, I've spoken with folks affected. Distrusting one source does not make the issue disappear. Folks should be allowed to do just about anything on their own property provided they are also held responsible when their activities cause harm to others. Government should have the authority to regulate that which poses significant risks to resources, such as high fence deer operations. Two fences, 25' tall and 25 yards between and you can raise all the freakish deer you want, chain them to a tree and get paid the big bucks by the pathetic who consider it "hunting" to shoot them.

I still say the man who's fish farm was flooded and released the Asian carp into the Mississippi River system should be forced, at the end of a gun if necessary, to spend every waking moment of the rest of his life attempting to remove them from the waters they have no business being in. Instead, someone came up with an excuse and everyone who enjoy(ed) the now virtually destroyed resources gets screwed because he wanted to make a living and couldn't have cared less about the affect his choices had on others.

Yeah I agree. Anyone that has ever done anything to hurt anyone else or screw anything up should be held responsible indefinitely. This is a pet issue that some have latched on to. It's not about the "pathetic" hunter that wants a canned hunt. It's about the government sticking their nose into yet another business because a few people exaggerate the problem. Death and sickness are facts of life. You can't prevent it whether it's free or fenced deer.

Willie and company want to make all these businesses guilty without a trial. They are the "just in case" police. Freedom isn't safe. But I got news for ya, neither is the land of the bEurocratic tyrant. These guys are using the same argument Lefties use to ban guns; "but what if sonethibg bad happens! Omg! Do it for the children!" Hypocritical to the core.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    They should be held responsible until their debt is paid or their wrong is corrected. Still plenty of Asian carp screwing up the ecosystem so he's still got plenty to do.

It isn't made up, it's happened. Taking steps to prevent it isn't tyranny, holding people responsible isn't tyranny. Demanding to get away with it is the type of childish horse**** that screws things up for everyone. I'm not opposed to it provided it's done properly. Building a 4' chain link fence and bringing in untested, genetically altered deer isn't doing it right.

By your logic it should be perfectly acceptable for a company to dump toxic chemicals into a stream as long as they own some land along the bank.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    They should be held responsible until their debt is paid or their wrong is corrected. Still plenty of Asian carp screwing up the ecosystem so he's still got plenty to do.

It isn't made up, it's happened. Taking steps to prevent it isn't tyranny, holding people responsible isn't tyranny. Demanding to get away with it is the type of childish horse**** that screws things up for everyone. I'm not opposed to it provided it's done properly. Building a 4' chain link fence and bringing in untested, genetically altered deer isn't doing it right.

By your logic it should be perfectly acceptable for a company to dump toxic chemicals into a stream as long as they own some land along the bank.

Yep.. you're right it doesn't work that way. It is just a "I'm so sorry" and nothing happens. Two years ago a captive deer herd had cases of Bovine TB. The herd was depopulated and the Indiana taxpayers paid for the deer. It would be the same thing if a captive herd came up with cases of CWD. Right now, as we type and discuss this, a CWD exposed escaped deer is in the Indiana wild herd. That is "something bad". It puts our entire Indiana wild herd at risk..

VJ needs a massive hog farm up wind from him and he just might change his anything goes attitude.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Yep.. you're right it doesn't work that way. It is just a "I'm so sorry" and nothing happens. Two years ago a captive deer herd had cases of Bovine TB. The herd was depopulated and the Indiana taxpayers paid for the deer. It would be the same thing if a captive herd came up with cases of CWD. Right now, as we type and discuss this, a CWD exposed escaped deer is in the Indiana wild herd. That is "something bad". It puts our entire Indiana wild herd at risk..

VJ needs a massive hog farm up wind from him and he just might change his anything goes attitude.

Who needs a hog farm. This thread stinks enough. You can't regulate away danger to the herd. If no one lived near a hog farm we wouldn't have bacon. The only thing you will succeed in doing is giving the government a hand in another pie. I'm a free range hunter. I don't want to lose the herd anymore than anyone else does. I just don't want to give the government any more power. First they came for the high fence guys, then they came for etc etc etc. You haven't said anything about the fallacy of your argument because you can't. As I said before you are using the same logic that the anti-gun liberals use. You ignore everything else and just hammer away at your point making snide remarks.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Safety safety safety, we know some diseases can hop to the normal population, stemming from non normal initial groupings that allow for easier development./transmission.

Now are we talking CWD or AIDS?

Looks like We need to high fence California, and other major metro areas, and not allow for certain population densities.............all for the sake of safety.

But then you'd be called homophobic and or racist.

But the data says a couple of groups are the top carriers, and it has leaked into the general population...........and it's deadly, and expensive...................

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Safety safety safety, we know some diseases can hop to the normal population, stemming from non normal initial groupings that allow for easier development./transmission.

Now are we talking CWD or AIDS?

Looks like We need to high fence California, and other major metro areas, and not allow for certain population densities.............all for the sake of safety.

But then you'd be called homophobic and or racist.

But the data says a couple of groups are the top carriers, and it has leaked into the general population...........and it's deadly, and expensive...................

yep... Then we have folks like VJ calling folks that don't agree with him as "liberals".

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Who needs a hog farm. This thread stinks enough. You can't regulate away danger to the herd. If no one lived near a hog farm we wouldn't have bacon. The only thing you will succeed in doing is giving the government a hand in another pie. I'm a free range hunter. I don't want to lose the herd anymore than anyone else does. I just don't want to give the government any more power. First they came for the high fence guys, then they came for etc etc etc. You haven't said anything about the fallacy of your argument because you can't. As I said before you are using the same logic that the anti-gun liberals use. You ignore everything else and just hammer away at your point making snide remarks.

Fish die from natural causes all of the time. I guess it'd be ok for some company to dump a few million gallons of acid into white river. What's a few hundred thousand more?

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I heard a DNR CO speak to this topic last Wednesday night. Raising captive deer is a concern for disease, especially when a captive deer escapes into the wild and mixes and breeds with the wild deer. This is another example of the higher ups in Indiana government not doing the right thing for hunters. Shooting captive deer is not most hunters' idea of sportsmanlike hunting anyway. I think it's a bad thing, and will hurt deer hunting in this state.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Fish die from natural causes all of the time. I guess it'd be ok for some company to dump a few million gallons of acid into white river. What's a few hundred thousand more?

The possibility of introducing a disease is quite a bit different than dumping acid into a river. I think it's awesome you guys are so concerned about deer getting sick. I wonder what you think about all the sick people wandering around spreading disease. Anything from HIV to the flu can kill people. Should we address the problem the same way?

What percentage of free range deer die as a direct result of hunting ranches compared to "natural causes" and hunting? Show me a big enough number over a span of say 10-20years and maybe I'll change mind. Somehow, I doubt it will amount to much.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Plenty of case studies out there. I've got far more important things to do than try to alter your "if it involves the government it must be wrong" attitude. I'd be highly surprised to find out that you or a friend or family member aren't involved in canned hunting as vigorously as you defend it.

Top Bottom