• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Buck 110 sissyfied....mmm...OK. That knife will hold up to 99% of the tasks that anyone reading this would ever need it for. Put a thumb stud on it and you have one of the best production folders money could by with a history to prove it.- George

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    The Buck 110 is a classic and never really goes out of style. I had an auto 110 at one time that seemed a bit too much so I traded it off. For an all-around knife in the field, the ESEE is great. I own a three different ESEE's with the 4" sharpened back edge probably my goto fixed blade.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Buck 110 sissyfied....mmm...OK. That knife will hold up to 99% of the tasks that anyone reading this would ever need it for. Put a thumb stud on it and you have one of the best production folders money could by with a history to prove it.- George

I have a 110 that I sent to the custom shop for a BG-42 blade switch (years ago). I also added a one armed bandit thumb stud. It may have been the best cutting tool I ever owned. I retired it when the blade was about 3/32" used all along the edge.

I have a BassPro Buck 110 with CPM 154 steel that's almost as good. It's in the pocket of my jammies at home.

You can get a custom version made at the custom shop with CPM S30V for a very reasonable price too, depending on options.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Never could get myself to like the 110, just for how heavy the thing weight seriously it weighs as much as my medford does.

Try sharpening a Buck 110 and then using it for a while to cut stuff. It might get you past the aversion to the weight!

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Try sharpening a Buck 110 and then using it for a while to cut stuff. It might get you past the aversion to the weight!

I have sharpened a 110 (my great grandfathers) I get better edge retention out of my striders with almost half the weight and a pocket clip.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I have sharpened a 110 (my great grandfathers) I get better edge retention out of my striders with almost half the weight and a pocket clip.

You sharpened mine, too, Mister...

And no way is my 110 nearly as heavy as your Medford Fat Daddy. That knife is as big as your hand, dude!

Also - edge retention on a Strider vs a Buck 110: Duh. :D

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Edge retention is not as big a factor for me as 1) how sharp you can get it, and 2) how well it cuts while it's sharp.

I don't mind retouching an edge when I'm working on a big job.

Old Buck 110s require some work to get the edge thin, and 440C does not lend itself to a really thin edge. Buck 110s made in this century are ground very thin near the edge, so they are super good slicers. The steels (earlier 425CM and currently 420HC) are ostensibly inferior steels, but the heat treatment is excellent and the geometry is spot-on.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    You sharpened mine, too, Mister...

And no way is my 110 nearly as heavy as your Medford Fat Daddy. That knife is as big as your hand, dude!

Also - edge retention on a Strider vs a Buck 110: Duh. :D

Also true. My Fat Daddy is a monster to say the least. So are your knives still sharp?

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Weights:

Medford Fat Daddy - 12.8oz
    Buck 110 - 7.2oz
    Strider SMF - 5.6oz

Mr. Dean, just admit that you don't like the Buck 110 because it is "old school" and isn't tactical enough for you............. young whipper snappers! :rolleyes:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Weights:

Medford Fat Daddy - 12.8oz
    Buck 110 - 7.2oz
    Strider SMF - 5.6oz

Mr. Dean, just admit that you don't like the Buck 110 because it is "old school" and isn't tactical enough for you............. young whipper snappers! :rolleyes:

Young whipper snappers? Come on now Brad, let's be honest...compared to you, EVERYONE is a young whipper snapper. :D

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I have a 110 that I sent to the custom shop for a BG-42 blade switch (years ago). I also added a one armed bandit thumb stud. It may have been the best cutting tool I ever owned. I retired it when the blade was about 3/32" used all along the edge.

I have a BassPro Buck 110 with CPM 154 steel that's almost as good. It's in the pocket of my jammies at home.

You can get a custom version made at the custom shop with CPM S30V for a very reasonable price too, depending on options.

I still have an original 110 that I beat up quite a bit over the years, and a great knife it is.
    I also have the S30V version, the one sold under the Cabela's name as the Alaskan Guide.
    The link to get one of your own is here, and I highly recommend it, even though it's just short of 100 bills - Cabela's Alaskan Guide® Series 110 Folder Knife by Buck Knives® : Cabela's

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Dang, I have a buck knife that I use to clean game right now, but it's somewhat sentimental because it was a gift from my dad and he had it engraved. But he did buy it for me to use for what I am... I was thinking about buying a Esee-3 to replace it but I am so torn. I would be interested in a 110 if it really will hold an edge that much longer as that is important to me as I am not a knife guy and prefer to have someone else sharpen them for me. So if I can use it a whole season or longer that would be fantastic!

Top Bottom