• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glenn1248

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Avon,IN
    Anyone have any experiences with a Jennings nine? I would be willing to trade it for some .45acp jhp, .45 long or 410 shot shells. I will throw in a box of 100 9mm shells with the gun.

muncie21

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Some people complain about them, but the one I had functioned fine for the 30 or so rounds I put through it.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Are you selling a Jennings? Your post is a little confusing.

I suppose he has one he would like to sell, but isn't sure what a fair asking price would be.

Glenn1248, I think you'll have a hard time moving a Jennings here or on any other gun board; the brand is almost universally despised, and for good reason. The Jennings 9mm pistols were of extremely poor quality and reliability, and sold for well under $100 back when they were still being made (the company went under in the late 1990s or early 2000s, IIRC).

You might try selling the ammo, and giving away a free pistol with it. ;)

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    It looked more like an attempt to offer a trade outside of the classifieds prior to attaining 10 posts by prefixing with a somewhat unrelated question.

But that's just my :twocents:.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I would be happy to trade 3 rounds of Remington Golden Sabre 45acp for the Jennings pistol if the gun is used.

If the Jennings is new in box, I'll up my offer to 7 rounds of assorted Rem Golden Saber, Fed HydraShok, and a few 45acp reloads.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Friend of mine told me last week that someone at his brother's work was trying to sell one of these to his brother. He wanted me to look up the value. I wouldn't do it, just told him it didn't have any. Friends don't let friends do Bryco Jennings. Hell, enemies don't let just any enemy do Bryco Jennings.

muncie21

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Is this similar to the hi-point bashing? Wonder how many here have actually had a Jennings. I have owned both and both have functioned fine.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Is this similar to the hi-point bashing? Wonder how many here have actually had a Jennings.

I test-fired one for a friend once, or rather attempted to; it wouldn't fire 3 consecutive rounds without a failure of some sort. That confirmed all the horror stories as far as I was concerned, but on top of that, the ergonomics were atrocious and the sights might as well not have been there. The shop I part-time for used to sell them, but stopped because of the high percentage of problems/returns. This was some time before Bryco went OOB; now, we won't even take them in used.

Lorcin, Jennings, Bryco, Davis, Jiminez... all cut from the same lousy cloth, AFAIK.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    Is this similar to the hi-point bashing? Wonder how many here have actually had a Jennings. I have owned both and both have functioned fine.

I've often wondered why it's accepted and okay for a Kel Tec to require fluff and buff to properly operate, but jennings seem to be judged "out the box".

I'll agree and say I'd never go out of my way to get my hands on a 9mm or 380 jennings/bryco/raven/whatever but if I got one for trading two boxes of ammo you can bet I'm going to strip the gun and make sure everything's worked over properly so I can add it to my range bag.

I've got a Jimenez (most recent name for Jennings) JA-22 that's stamped Jennings J-22 under the grip. Out the box it wouldn't even manually cycle federal bulk .22. I dug around the internet and found a forum dedicated to Saturday night specials that had a good writeup on fluff n buff.

This was the first gun I ever purchased, I got it for 105 out the door. I knew nothing about firearms prior to this gun. I'm a part time mechanic by hobby and trade because it comes natural to me. My main job is working in the operating room, but I digress. I was a little wary of taking the gun apart. Once I did, I found rough corners from a poor casting job. The metals were subprime zinc alloy and overall I could tell it wasn't a quality gun, but I was convinced I could get it to work by messing with it.

I broke out some sandpaper and small tools, completely stripped the gun and polished all contact surfaces. I polished the feed ramp, cleaned everything as best I could and reassembled. The first time I took it to the range I got several FTE, then somebody suggested I try high velocity rounds. I bought a box of CCI minimags and never had a problem since.

The gun came with a lifetime warranty from Jimenez. I don't know what's going to happen when the company switches hands again, but they replaced the slide free of charge when it began to wobble at ~2500 rounds of cci mini mags. I think part of this was overaggressive polishing on my end. I've ran another 1500 rounds through the gun with no problems.

Yes, it's cheap. But I bought it as my first gun, it lived its life, up until a few weeks ago when I bought a p3at, as my backup gun. When i bought it price was a major factor and the lifetime warranty sold me. Like I said, I knew nothing of firearms having grown up in an anti gun home, and living in and around Chicago where good guys dont have guns. I bought it after a string of events including a carjacking, home invasion, garage burglary, mugging and being a witness to a gas station robbery. I didn't have the money for something bigger or better.

All the forums with exception of the SNS forum is full of people who bash on this type of gun. You do realize the court case that shut them down was won because the gun required the safety to be off and the trigger to be pulled in order to strip the gun. I've got a springfield that requires the same.

At this point, owning several firearms that are of greater caliber and out the box reliability than the Jennings I no longer need the SNS, but I don't understand the bashing of the brand and type of gun that was produced by these companies. They're tarnished because of their price and probably because of this they are used in more crimes than the high dolar firearms. However, they serve a purpose, to arm those with limited means. No, they're not great guns and you probably should not carry one with a round in the chamber due to their design (I never carried with one in the chamber) but what's thrown me for a loop is that the Keltecs have a solid following despite requiring the same procedure to have a reliably functioning handgun.

Not to mention, they're produced entirely in the United States.

/rant

Cliffs: I have a J-22 with several thousand rounds that's functioned reliably and don't understand the constant bashing of the brands.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    ... I think you'll have a hard time moving a Jennings here or on any other gun board; the brand is almost universally despised, and for good reason...
    You might try selling the ammo, and giving away a free pistol with it. ;)

Not necessarily.

I sold a Parker, two Lorcins, and a Jennings J-22 for $200 to a guy on The High Road about 6 months ago. Thats $50 per gun. I posted a listing with pics, and I had multiple offers within a day.

Post some reasonable prices on a major board and Im sure you will get offers if you price it under $100.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    Refreshingly intelligent response. I too have always wondered why so called "cheap/junk guns" are expected to perform 100% right out of the box when these same folks own custom $1,000+ 1911's that requires extensive break-in and tweaking to run. Thanks for the breath of fresh air!!! :rockwoot: :patriot:

I've often wondered why it's accepted and okay for a Kel Tec to require fluff and buff to properly operate, but jennings seem to be judged "out the box".

I'll agree and say I'd never go out of my way to get my hands on a 9mm or 380 jennings/bryco/raven/whatever but if I got one for trading two boxes of ammo you can bet I'm going to strip the gun and make sure everything's worked over properly so I can add it to my range bag.

I've got a Jimenez (most recent name for Jennings) JA-22 that's stamped Jennings J-22 under the grip. Out the box it wouldn't even manually cycle federal bulk .22. I dug around the internet and found a forum dedicated to Saturday night specials that had a good writeup on fluff n buff.

This was the first gun I ever purchased, I got it for 105 out the door. I knew nothing about firearms prior to this gun. I'm a part time mechanic by hobby and trade because it comes natural to me. My main job is working in the operating room, but I digress. I was a little wary of taking the gun apart. Once I did, I found rough corners from a poor casting job. The metals were subprime zinc alloy and overall I could tell it wasn't a quality gun, but I was convinced I could get it to work by messing with it.

I broke out some sandpaper and small tools, completely stripped the gun and polished all contact surfaces. I polished the feed ramp, cleaned everything as best I could and reassembled. The first time I took it to the range I got several FTE, then somebody suggested I try high velocity rounds. I bought a box of CCI minimags and never had a problem since.

The gun came with a lifetime warranty from Jimenez. I don't know what's going to happen when the company switches hands again, but they replaced the slide free of charge when it began to wobble at ~2500 rounds of cci mini mags. I think part of this was overaggressive polishing on my end. I've ran another 1500 rounds through the gun with no problems.

Yes, it's cheap. But I bought it as my first gun, it lived its life, up until a few weeks ago when I bought a p3at, as my backup gun. When i bought it price was a major factor and the lifetime warranty sold me. Like I said, I knew nothing of firearms having grown up in an anti gun home, and living in and around Chicago where good guys dont have guns. I bought it after a string of events including a carjacking, home invasion, garage burglary, mugging and being a witness to a gas station robbery. I didn't have the money for something bigger or better.

All the forums with exception of the SNS forum is full of people who bash on this type of gun. You do realize the court case that shut them down was won because the gun required the safety to be off and the trigger to be pulled in order to strip the gun. I've got a springfield that requires the same.

At this point, owning several firearms that are of greater caliber and out the box reliability than the Jennings I no longer need the SNS, but I don't understand the bashing of the brand and type of gun that was produced by these companies. They're tarnished because of their price and probably because of this they are used in more crimes than the high dolar firearms. However, they serve a purpose, to arm those with limited means. No, they're not great guns and you probably should not carry one with a round in the chamber due to their design (I never carried with one in the chamber) but what's thrown me for a loop is that the Keltecs have a solid following despite requiring the same procedure to have a reliably functioning handgun.

Not to mention, they're produced entirely in the United States.

/rant

Cliffs: I have a J-22 with several thousand rounds that's functioned reliably and don't understand the constant bashing of the brands.

Split

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2009
    Evansville
    I own a Lorcin 22. It's quite possibly the worst gun ever. So no second hand here, I've had it for 10 years and it's been crap for all of them.

Top Bottom