ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    Battered Jackboot Syndrome

Posted by William Grigg on January 12, 2010 01:36 PM

It isn’t common for a man who suffers a minor physical indignity at the hands of a smaller woman to press criminal charges against her. This is especially true of incidents in which the man retaliates by throwing the woman to the ground and then compounds that assault by restraining her by force.
    But Orlando resident Andrew Brennan isn’t an ordinary male. He’s one of the sanctified personages set apart by state-issued costumes and clothed in the presumed authority to push others around and kill them when they resist.
    So when 24-year-old Alexandra Espinosa-Amaya laid an unhallowed hand on Officer Brennan’s person — specifically, by pushing him in the face and knocking his eyeglasses to the ground — this wasn’t the trivial and bearable affront it would have been had Brennan been a member of the productive class. Instead it was “battery on a law-enforcement officer,” and originally classified as a felony.
    As a result, Amanda was sentenced to two years’ probation, 50 hours of “community service,” and a course in state-licensed psychological programming (also known as “anger management class”). She also had to write the poor, traumatized “victim” a letter of apology.
    But all of this was insufficient to assuage the hurt feelings of the brutalized Hero in Blue, who doubtless suffered a species of post-traumatic stress disorder as a result of the incident. At Officer Brennan’s suggestion, Miss Espinosa-Amaya was required to stand outside the Orlando Police Department headquarters holding a hand-lettered sign reading: “I battered a police officer. I was wrong. I apologize.”
    “The officer that was battered asked for this disposition because he wanted to bring awareness to the fact that officers from this agency and others are battered on a regular basis, often causing severe injury and/or medical retirements,” insisted OPD spokeswoman Sgt. Barbara Jones. “He hopes the disposition in this case will bring public awareness to the issue.”
    If Andrew Brennan were any part of a man, he wouldn’t have made an issue out of being pushed by a woman. If the soprano-singing pseudo-male had any gift for irony, or even a small measure of self-awareness, he would at least have dealt with the issue in a way that didn’t advertise his overdeveloped sense of entitlement and vast capacity for self-pity.
    Alexandra and her sister Natalia were evicted from an Orlando nightspot in November 2008. The two “combative” females were ushered out of the premises by a bouncer, who was exercising a prerogative associated with property rights.
    Brennan, a government employee, carried out the predictable function of making matters worse by butting in. This led to the felonious “pushing” by Alexandra. Brennan reacted by throwing the woman to the ground and handcuffing her. Natalia, most likely seeking to defend her sister, kicked Brennan, a supposed offense for which she was sentenced to a year of probation, 50 hours of community service, and a stint of “anger-management” class.
    Brennan preserved the “evidence” of the “assault” by photographing his glasses, which were stained by the unholy fingerprints of a Mundane. Alexandra, on the other hand, was severely bruised and otherwise injured by Brennan’s unwarranted assault.
    Interestingly, although Alexandra’s punishment makes it appear as if she had taken a club to pathetic little Officer Castratto — er, Brennan, she was actually convicted of battery and “resisting an officer without violence”; this underscores the fact that merely touching a member of the state’s punitive priesthood can be construed as a felony.

Remember...no bashing LEOs...especialy if you don't want bashed back harder :):

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    What, some nasty wench is so stupid as to attack a cop, and I'm supposed to feel bad for her? Screw her, she got what she asked for. Since when is being female supposed to be a free pass for violent physical assault?

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    the article is written so as to paint the officer as a punk, but had he responded in kind and smashed the woman, the author would be crying about brutality. damned if you do, damned if you dont.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    What, some nasty wench is so stupid as to attack a cop, and I'm supposed to feel bad for her? Screw her, she got what she asked for. Since when is being female supposed to be a free pass for violent physical assault?

The point of the story is that the bouncer did his job, and evicted the two. Had things been left at that, then nothing else would have transpired, but along comes an officer and thus the turn of events.
    It does not say what the officer did to butt in, but it clearly states that she violated the law by pushing him.
    It's the over powering force used by the officer and the unbalanced punishment for her crime.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    The point of the story is that the bouncer did his job, and evicted the two. Had things been left at that, then nothing else would have transpired, but along comes an officer and thus the turn of events.
    It does not say what the officer did to butt in, but it clearly states that she violated the law by pushing him.
    It's the over powering force used by the officer and the unbalanced punishment for her crime.

And my point is that I don't see that he used unreasonable force. Of course he used "overpowering" force, that's what you do to get control of a criminal that attacks you: you overpower them. Nor do I find anything wrong with her punishment. She got what she asked for when she chose to violently attack someone else, and was so stupid as to make that someone else a police officer.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Battered jackboots?

What a coincidence...that was the lunch special in the cafeteria today. :n00b:

mmm... :)

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    And my point is that I don't see that he used unreasonable force. Of course he used "overpowering" force, that's what you do to get control of a criminal that attacks you: you overpower them. Nor do I find anything wrong with her punishment. She got what she asked for when she chose to violently attack someone else, and was so stupid as to make that someone else a police officer.

Again, we don't know the entire story here...for all we know, he may have gotten in her face when he coud have just left her be. But then again, the LEO may have been called to ensure they did not try to get back in the club.
    I'm sure the events that unfolded could have been approached differently so neither one was assaulted.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County

Actually...

she was actually convicted of battery and “resisting an officer without violence”
    (emphasis in original).

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Deserved, it is surprising how many battered husbands are out there. If they defend themselves they are call wife beaters. If she swings like a man....then expect...

I saw it, I would have put my mom up against many men her size...

Although I did see my step-dad slug her once...I couldn't stop laughing...

Before you condemn my statement, you must believe me she DESERVED it..

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    Deserved, it is surprising how many battered husbands are out there. If they defend themselves they are call wife beaters. If she swings like a man....then expect...

I saw it, I would have put my mom up against many men her size...

Although I did see my step-dad slug her once...I couldn't stop laughing...

Before you condemn my statement, you must believe me she DESERVED it..

Sometimes they do :)

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    Battered Jackboots and all this time I have been ordering just Plain Jackboots...

Dang I'll bet they go good with Battered Women and Fried Rapist.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    That's what she was convicted of. Even the oh so unbiased article makes clear she used violence, in fact.

While, in all likelihood, her act constituted a "battery" as defined in that jurisdiction (and most others) that she used "violence" is debatable.

Most definitions of the word, when used in a physical context, are hinged upon infliction of damage or injury, or the intent to do so. As far as I can tell (even from reading the linked news report from the original) the officer received no more injury than smudged lenses on his glasses. Had there been more injury, I'm sure it would have been reported and this incident would have been prosecuted zealously. Might her intent have been to cause injury? Possibly.

That being said, it could be argued that her actions were "an unjust or unwarranted exertion of force or power, as against rights or laws".

Her sister, on the other hand, in kicking the officer, unquestionably performed an act of violence against him. Interestingly, she got a lighter sentence. Maybe she had a better attorney ;)

I think the real question is (and probably the source of Grigg's ire, justified or not) is whether the response was overboard, and whether the officer should have inserted himself into the situation or not.

From reading the linked news story, she claimed she didn't know he was a cop, though the officer stated he was in uniform. While this is possible, depending upon many variables in the officer's line of approach and the method of her ejection, it seems unlikely.

Either way, she is rock stupid.

The remedy to such situations is to simply avoid them.

From Dictionary.com | Find the Meanings and Definitions of Words at Dictionary.com:

vi⋅o⋅lence

 /ˈvaɪ
    thinsp.png
    ə
    thinsp.png
    ləns/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [vahy-uh-luh
    thinsp.png
    ns] Show IPA Use violence in a Sentence

See images of violence

Search violence on the Web

–noun 1. swift and intense force: the violence of a storm. 2. rough or injurious physical force, action, or treatment: to die by violence. 3. an unjust or unwarranted exertion of force or power, as against rights or laws: to take over a government by violence. 4. a violent act or proceeding. 5. rough or immoderate vehemence, as of feeling or language: the violence of his hatred. 6. damage through distortion or unwarranted alteration: to do editorial violence to a text.

Origin:
    1250–1300; ME < AF, OF < L violentia; see violent, -ence
    thinsp.png

Synonyms:
    1. might, power, impact, fury.

Dictionary.com Unabridged
    Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2009.
    Cite This Source |
    Link To violence
    ._vtad { border-top: 1px solid #B6D0DD; padding: 15px 0 0 0; margin: 1em 0 0 0; background-image: url(http://syndication.visualthesaurus.com/ddc/gradient.png);background-repeat: repeat-x; background-position: 0 0; } ._vtad A { text-decoration: none; } ._vtad A:hover { text-decoration: underline; } ._vtad_flt { float: right; margin: 0 0 10px 7px; } ._vtad_flt IMG { vertical-align: top; margin-bottom: 5px; border: 1px solid #CCCCCC;} A._vtad_explore { letter-spacing: -.4px; font-family: verdana;display:block; line-height: 10px; font-size: 11px;color: #0050BB; } ._vtad_related { font-family: verdana; font-size: 12px; margin: 6px 0 6px; } ._vtad_related A { color: black; } ._vtad_header { font-family: georgia; line-height: 10px; font-size: 14px; color: #575757; } ._vtad_header IMG { vertical-align: top; margin-right: 7px; } ._vtad_header A { font-family: Times New Roman, serif; font-size: 14px; font-weight: bold; color: black; } A._vtad_other { font-family: verdana; font-size: 1em; color: #0050BB; }Explore the Visual Thesaurus »
    new.png
    Related Words for : violence
    force, ferocity, fierceness, furiousness, fury
    View more related words »

McGruff Safe Kids TID
    Child ID Franchise. Only $7,995 Start Up. Limited Time Only!
    www.mcgruff-tid.com
    Free WSJ.com Registration
    The Wall Street Journal Online. Free Registration. Sign Up Now.
    Sponsored Results
    www.wsjregistration.com

vi·o·lence (vī'ə-ləns)
    n.
    1. Physical force exerted for the purpose of violating, damaging, or abusing: crimes of violence.
    2. The act or an instance of violent action or behavior.
    3. Intensity or severity, as in natural phenomena; untamed force: the violence of a tornado.
    4. Abusive or unjust exercise of power.
    5. Abuse or injury to meaning, content, or intent: do violence to a text.
    6. Vehemence of feeling or expression; fervor.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
    Copyright © 2009 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
    Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
    Cite This Source

Word Origin & History

violence
    c.1290, "physical force used to inflict injury or damage," from Anglo-Fr. and O.Fr. violence, from L. violentia "vehemence, impetuosity," from violentus "vehement, forcible," probably related to violare (see violate). Weakened sense of "improper treatment" is attested from 1596. Violent is attested from c.1340. In M.E. the word also was applied in ref. to heat, sunlight, smoke, etc., with the sense "having some quality so strongly as to produce a powerful effect."

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Again, we don't know the entire story here...for all we know, he may have gotten in her face when he coud have just left her be. But then again, the LEO may have been called to ensure they did not try to get back in the club.
    I'm sure the events that unfolded could have been approached differently so neither one was assaulted.

Excuse me but exactly how are you sure of this. Do you have some more info about this story that you haven't shared or are you just ASSUMING.

And since you already stated that the LEO may have been called there to ensure that they did not get back into the club doesn't that explain why he was doing the job that he is paid for. Or do you feel that, we as paid government employees, should be allowed to be assaulted. That some how we, because we are LEO's, have less rights than others. :dunno:

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    Excuse me but exactly how are you sure of this. Do you have some more info about this story that you haven't shared or are you just ASSUMING.

And since you already stated that the LEO may have been called there to ensure that they did not get back into the club doesn't that explain why he was doing the job that he is paid for. Or do you feel that, we as paid government employees, should be allowed to be assaulted. That some how we, because we are LEO's, have less rights than others. :dunno:

Simply an assumption of surety, as you can look back at any event in life and realize that you could have done something different to get a different result. Just as I'm sure if I would have made a different statement, it would have resulted in some different comment from you.;)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom