• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrtdrew

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 22, 2011
    NW Indy
    I have an old browning Hi-Power that was my fathers carry gun for most of his life that could really use a refinishing. Ive done some research and found who I would like to have do it but am not so sure if this will destroy the value of the gun. Its not that I think I would ever sell or trade it but its always nice to know its worth more. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Well first run the serial number on brownings website to see how old it really is. If its really worn from carry and not a pre ww2 gun or have the ability to have stock put on a well done restore is not going to hurt it much price wise. it may actually help. A wolfe restore spring kit is also a great $15 spent on an older gun thats seen alot of use.

marsell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Do you have any pics you could upload? I am becoming a fan of the Hi powers. I don't have one yet but that will change.

it was made in 1952 so not ww2

it works beautifully never had a problem with it its just the blueing and the grips could use some serious tlc and i dont trust myself to do it because of the value of the gun

Last edited by a moderator:

Hiker1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    South
    Why not decide that it will stay in the family permanently, and consider rebluing the finish in the future. Enjoy it, and maintain it in very good, working condition.

marsell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    I vote, get it refinished. I don't think a professional refinishing job would reduce the value at all. But I also don't know what I am talking about.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If you want a pretty Hi-Power, buy one.

To refinish takes away the "who and what".

Never refinish a gun with a story. Refinish one that has seen neglect.

Honor would be to add wear carrying it :)

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I inherited my dad's Hi-Power a couple of years ago and shot it for the first time earlier this year. They're great guns.
    Dads has some wear and a few marks on it. I wouldn't even consider having it refinished. I look it and realize that it was dad's gun and those are all of his marks. It'll stay in the family at least as long as I'm still on the green side of the grass. It stays as it is as long as I have the final decision on it.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    If you want it to look/be as new as possible try Art's gun shop. He worked for browning in the repair center for years. What he does with salt wood guns is remarkable. He is also the only person I let work on browning lever rifle triggers.

If i remember correctly 60 and hour labor and 100 for a salt blue job.

I rate them as top notch for the brownings. They have redone one superposed and an old a-5 for me. Would recommend all brownings to them.

Art's Gun & Sports Shop, Inc.

mrtdrew

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 22, 2011
    NW Indy
    thanks for your input everyone. if anyone was wondering i did end up getting it refinished by a gunsmith friend of mine and am going to hold onto her shes such a sweet peice i couldnt bare to let her go

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Not sure how I missed this but anyways.... I love the HP and have several. I just picked up a very nice used Practical yesterday. The HP you have sounds like a good one and if you know you want to keep it in the family and want to refinish it to it's former glory then do so. A lot of people say it destroys "Collectors Value" but the sentimental value is more important to some. I have a couple pistols that I've refinished the way I wanted because I know that I'll never sell them and could care less about the collector value. Do what you want and what makes you feel happy. Some pics would be nice to see if you get the chance. :twocents:

chadman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    Since it was carried regularly by your father for years any historic value it may have had to a collector has diminished. This is if it is a WWll gun. Having said that, it is something from him to you and has considerable value to you so you should do as you like concerning any refinishing. My only caveat would be to make sure the refinish doesn't remove any markings on the gun you may wish to keep.

I think it's neat you want to keep it and keep it looking nice.

Top Bottom