• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 11B20

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    I just bought a Browning Hi power at the 1500 gun show. I'm looking forward to shooting it.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Who would prefer the Browning Hi Power 9mm over a 1911 besides me and why.

You talking 9mm BHP vs 9mm 1911? BHP all the way. 9mm BHP vs .45 1911 is harder, but I think I would go with BHP. A 1911 was my first gun. Still have, still love it. I eventually got an FEG HP clone. Love it. Shoot it better than anything else, faster follow up shots, and the 9mm is plenty for defense use.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I think some would argue that the high power was a later design by Mr. Browning, thus more evolved. Not sure if I totally agree, but a great design. It seems to be very popular outside the US also, right?

tolle house

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 28, 2012
    South Indy
    Yes it is popular in many countries. If not mistaken Browning started this design and passed before finishing . I can't remember who finished it. The 1911 was designed from it.

poppy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    South of Indy
    I lost my Browning Hi Power to my loving wife. She shot it a few times and loves it. I asked her why. She said, 'balance', it is 'balanced'. I asked her for more comments. She said 'target aquisition. I can get on target with the second and subsequent shots quicker'. So there ya go. Her word is good enough for me. Personally, it is a tie between my cz 75 and the browning when I shoot. Both are great shooters in 9mm. Since she laid claim to the browning, she inherits taking care including field stripping, cleaning, lubing and reassembly. Boy am I in for a treat!

poppy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    South of Indy
    Oh, I think I remember reading that FN finished the hi power design but I could be wrong. Also, I read where the bhp was the sidearm of choice for the late great saddam hussain. And this I cannot verify.

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    I would like to get a Hi-Power. Shooting buddy has a couple of them and he loves them. He loves 1911s too though. Good looking gun too!
    Flickr_-_~Steve_Z~_-_1971_Browning_Hi_Power_3.jpg

Loc n load

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Browning HP's

The HP has served with distinction for decades with many elite military units, and at one time was THE platform of choice for special op's and anti terrorist units. FBI HRT used the Browning back in the late 80's / early 90's, and it was highly regarded. A good friend of mine who was an HRT operator and instructor at Quantico had one that had over 100,000 documented rds thru it. I have carried and shot the HP since the mid 70's, I have always liked the size of it and the fact that it carried the number of rds that it does. I also liked the fact that I could carry it cocked and locked like the 1911 platform. Over the years I have known a lot of professionals who packed the HP and it always served them well.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Oh, I think I remember reading that FN finished the hi power design but I could be wrong. Also, I read where the bhp was the sidearm of choice for the late great saddam hussain. And this I cannot verify.
    Dieudonne Saive who worked for FN is the one that finished it. It went into production in 1935. 9 years after Brownings death. The US Gov. did not think the 9mm was adequate, so we did not adopt it. It is not better than the 1911. But aguably the best 9mm ever made. I like it better because of all the reasons your wife likes it so much. Lower recoil makes for nice follow up shots. Twice as many rounds are nice too. I recommend having the mag safety removed. Didn't like it and it improves the trigger.:D

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    Yes it is popular in many countries. If not mistaken Browning started this design and passed before finishing . I can't remember who finished it. The 1911 was designed from it.
    no the hi power is based on the 1911. the hipower came out officially in 1935 as the p35 around the rest of the world. as for which is a better pistol it depends on who you ask i love both of them personally.

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    I prefer mine to my 1911's. I won't carry a 1911 much anymore, but the HP still finds it's way into my rotation.
    Only (small) problem is that you don't want to fire a steady diet of +P ammo in them. They can handle it for duty carry, but not a lot of practice. They are svelte, stylish, beautiful weapons!
    Easier to field strip and not as many parts as a 1911 is a plus, and the mag safety needs to come out also.

MorePowerWes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Palmyra, In
    I don't own a HP (though I wish I did). My buddy has one and has let me shoot it on several occasions. Probably the most accurate 9mm I've ever had the pleasure of shooting. If I could afford one right now, I'd TOTALLY buy one!! This coming from a Glock fan!

scottm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Hobart
    I'm thinking I might need to be on the look out for a Hi-power now, my want list is constantly changing...

Top Bottom