• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Well I was wanting another bolt action but this time in 223. So I started to look into the Hog Hunter line from Savage and for the money I don't see how you could go wrong. For less than $470(minus add ons) out the door is an awesome price for the features you get. So on this budget minded rifle I didn't want to spend a lot but the factory stock had to go! So I thought Id try one of the Boyds stocks. Initial impressions' are good but will have to get it out to the range to see how she does. Now to just get my can for it:rockwoot:

HogHunter_zpsa5e56572.jpg

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    Anybody know the differences between this and the model 10 Precision Carbine? Barrel? They both look like they need a stock upgrade. For half the money, the hog hunter wins on paper. What makes the 10PC twice the money better? (Honest question! Might be able to swindle Hog Hunter money out of our tax return, but probably not 10PC money!)

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Thanks the biggest difference is that the Model 10 will have the accutrigger that can be adjusted down a little further than the model 11. An the Hog Hunter (model 11) has what Savage calls a "medium profile" barrel. So apparently its not as this as the heavy barrels that come on the model 10s. But from everything ive seen I cant tell much difference honestly. For the money I don't really see the added benefit of it compared to how little the Hog Hunter series costs new.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I shot this group this morning with right after I did the break in on it. 5 shot at 100yrds with ammo that I had loaded for a different rifle that I got rid of that I had left over LOL.

IMG_20140201_113846_740_zpsvb54wzc3.jpg

Last edited:

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say you did just fine. While I don't know much about their Hog Hunter line, I am the owner of a couple budget Savage bolt action rifles. For the money you will spend, I can't say enough good things about them. My favorite of the bunch is the one chambered in 22 magnum. I'm wicked deadly with that thing.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say you did just fine. While I don't know much about their Hog Hunter line, I am the owner of a couple budget Savage bolt action rifles. For the money you will spend, I can't say enough good things about them. My favorite of the bunch is the one chambered in 22 magnum. I'm wicked deadly with that thing.

I have had a few of them myself and other than them having crappy factory stocks I cant honestly say anything negative about any Ive had or the onesI currently have. I had one in 22mag myself and yes it was a tac driver for sure.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I am so interested in how these will shoot with full power and reduced loads with a Thompson suppressor on the end, I don't have either but it's a goal

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Anybody know the differences between this and the model 10 Precision Carbine? Barrel? They both look like they need a stock upgrade. For half the money, the hog hunter wins on paper. What makes the 10PC twice the money better? (Honest question! Might be able to swindle Hog Hunter money out of our tax return, but probably not 10PC money!)

10PC has:

DBM (HH does not)
    Accustock (HH does not)
    Bottom bolt release (HH is top release)
    Medium profile barrel (HH has it, too)
    No sights (HH does, most people remove them)

I've been kicking around the idea of trying a Tacticool for a Savage centerfire but I'm kinda aggravated they changed the forearm style away from the A5-style of the rimfire tacticool to a finger groove style.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Not only are the Savage Hog Hunters are good bargain (all things considered), but you can custom order one-offs from Savage with only a modest extra fee.

They offer the gun in .308, but you can get it in in .308-based caliber very easily-- .260, 7mm-08, .243, etc.

You only have to wait for the manufacture and delivery.

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    Not only are the Savage Hog Hunters are good bargain (all things considered), but you can custom order one-offs from Savage with only a modest extra fee.

They offer the gun in .308, but you can get it in in .308-based caliber very easily-- .260, 7mm-08, .243, etc.

You only have to wait for the manufacture and delivery.
    Even 300 BLK?

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Even 300 BLK?

You can problaby get any of the rifles already chambered in .223 in 300BLK. The key is whether or not the only difference is barrel and reaming-- nothing to due with the action.

Thus, the limitations to "cartridge family."

Top Bottom