• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    I work at Brinks. Yes it is SOP anytime the garage door is open we will have at least one gaurd with a weapon upholstered or a long gun.
    I would like to know how it makes them an easy target? We have enough awareness to notice people close enough to pose a threat. Well unless we have some snipers camped out on some roofs!

Yes you are correct, I missed that part of the OPs story. Exit/Entry into any depository guards are required to have weapon in hand and at the ready until the gates or doors are closed.

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    I've seen wages for some armored car employees (when I came back stateside looking for a job) and I was like **** that! Not gonna be shot at for 9 or 10 an hour. I don't see how things have changed that much since then but I'll take your word for it.

A lot are on pay per stop scale now. I made $13/hr in 2003 for a depository to depository run.

You all would be surprised at the number of robberies that occur with armored transport which don't make the news. I knew a guy who got robbed 3 times on different occasions on his route in a 6 month period.

As for the pallets of Gold.... Hey Farva, what's that restaurant you like with all the stuff on the walls?

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Worked armed security at an outdoor theatre and when we did "drops" we unsnapped holsters and were at the ready. Over 4 yrs, never an issue, and Mgrs. never said a word if we had drawn and had barrels down. We also drove and did the bank drop as well, with Mgr right next to us. We worked till 4:00am mostly weekends. For our protection, and the Mgrs.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I used to work part time for an armored car company and there were shotguns in racks on both sides of the rollup doors and they were ready to go. Any time the doors were up, two guards had to be armed with them and flank the door on either side.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    A lot are on pay per stop scale now. I made $13/hr in 2003 for a depository to depository run.

You all would be surprised at the number of robberies that occur with armored transport which don't make the news. I knew a guy who got robbed 3 times on different occasions on his route in a 6 month period.

As for the pallets of Gold.... Hey Farva, what's that restaurant you like with all the stuff on the walls?

attachment.php

MPzulu6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2012
    Chesterton
    Guard / Reserve and X-Military and or Criminal Justice Majors make up the majority

I went to work for Armoured Transport of California in 95 after getting out of the service (side note, it was one of my companies trucks commandeered by PD during the North Hollywood shoot out). It was standard company SOP to draw your weapon and hold it down at your side if anything seemed suspicious or off. We had a guard killed (Lamont Smith- Navy vet,good man) leaving a Walmart in Nov 1996. It was a Sunday and all he had picked up from them were checks for deposit, no cash. Tough job, out there at the time we were paid less than your average UPS or Wonder Bread driver.

copo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    nwi
    I know Brinks in South Bend on Western will shut the road down with several armed guards while moving some of their trucks.

micheljns

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    I worked for an armored car company in ft wayne about 14 years ago. It was sop to come out of the truck armed at certain stops especially on Fridays when we did the heavy coin route (we delivered money in a Ryder truck lol). I remember Southtown was always a gun out stop along with a shotgun.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    The stellar condition our society and economy are in and are headed has me thinking three man truck crews with an individual standing purely guard with an AR or Mini-14 will become standard practice in the future.

Last edited:

lilruckus

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Indy
    I used to work across the street from the Brinks on the eastside and would it see them daily with their weapon drawn if they had the garage door open backing in a truck.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Buddy of mine used to work for an armored car company a few years back, and he has previously told me that THEIR S.O.P back THEN was was to have their pistols drawn and pointed down at the ground when exiting the vehicle on deliveries.

Dunno if it is S.O.P for Brinks at the moment, but no, that is not an unusual practice.

Last edited:

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    I have worked for armored truck companies in Indianapolis in the past. Brinks and Loomis both have a warehouse on the east side of Indy. SOP when backing a vehicle into the overhead door or driving out of is guns drawn until OHD is shut and locked. Warehouse employees have shotguns and AR's, being in the truck I've only had my handgun. Done this many times though. Millions of dollars in those warehouses.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    I've seen wages for some armored car employees (when I came back stateside looking for a job) and I was like **** that! Not gonna be shot at for 9 or 10 an hour. I don't see how things have changed that much since then but I'll take your word for it.
    THAT was my point, Trigger. Despite some comments to the contrary, because of the overly low pay (considering the potential / hazards of the job), companies like Brinks and Loomis simply don't get the applicants that SHOULD be applying.

Guard / Reserve and X-Military and or Criminal Justice Majors make up the majority... We had a guard killed (Lamont Smith- Navy vet,good man) leaving a Walmart in Nov 1996... Tough job, out there at the time we were paid less than your average UPS or Wonder Bread driver.
    I would whole-heartedly disagree that professionals make up the 'majority'. Of course, I would agree that many are professionals. But they often don't stay long, because of the low pay.

"Paid less than your average UPS or Wonder Bread driver" is my point. Obviously it's a hazardous, potentially lethal, job. So, why the low pay for it?

Well, $13 / hr. is a start, and a much needed increase, but not enough.

When I first moved to Vegas (early 90's) I contacted Loomis, just after they'd been hit twice in (approximately) 2 months. Got a call back the same day, asked me how much I was wanting. Told them. He started ranting about 'overhead' and told me Loomis only paid $5.75 / hr. (at that time).

But, anyone who's worked or looked into that job KNOWS that even $13 - $15 / hr. is NOT 'proper' pay for the job. Especially with the background that truly is needed to do that job correctly.

Considering the value of what's being dealt with (generally), the companies should be paying armored car guards much, much more.

And that's ALL that I was saying, and said. My apologies to anyone who took offense.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    If the pallet is 48" wide ... that would make each bar ~ 12"

Probably looks bigger in Real Life ... (just like other objects)
    Well, that image wouldn't be an accurate representation! According to that image, the bars are 1000g, about 35.25 ounces!

The 'standard' gold bar, according to the U.S. mint is 7" x 3.625" inches x 1.75" and weighs approximately 400 oz. (27.5#).

At currently pricing, each 'standard' gold bar is worth (approx.) $526,000. The pallet shown, with 240 gold bars, then would be valued at approx. $126,240,000. and would weigh about 3.3 tons.

Bars approximately 12"x 6" would weigh about 680 oz. and be valued at $894,200. Making that pallet of 240 bars worth about $214,608,000 and weigh in at about 5.1 tons.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom