Breaking News: Martinsville Rural King now has Guns!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • junior438

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    redkey
    well if one sells guns, shouldnt they all sell them? ill have to run to muncie and check it out. hope they do, and the prices are reasonable.

csmith

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Clinton county
    I noticed at the Terre Haute store yesterday they had a pile of Sig brand holsters and thought something was up with it. Hopefully they start carrying firearms soon.

SilveradoII

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    I had to go to Marion Monday. I stopped by the Big R there and was very surprised at the amount of guns they had in stock. The had a pretty good selection of ammo but of course the most popular right now was out of stock.

katfishinking

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    southwestern ind.
    I went to rural king in jasper yesterday to check on ammo. picked up 4, 20 rd. boxes of .223 wolf, for 30 bucks.( I got 2, the wife got 2.), right inside the doors, was a big sign that read something like this: HELP WANTED, must have knowledge with guns. I had heard a rumor they were going to start selling them, it must be true. whoopee!!!!!

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    My wife told me a Rural King opened in the old Walmart building in Bloomington...may have to stop by and see if they're carrying anything there.

We have a Orscheln's farm store here--no guns. But they do have a small ammo selection--even smaller now than it used to be. :)

2001FZ1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Indy
    My wife told me a Rural King opened in the old Walmart building in Bloomington...may have to stop by and see if they're carrying anything there.

We have a Orscheln's farm store here--no guns. But they do have a small ammo selection--even smaller now than it used to be. :)

I saw the sign. Is the Bloomington rural king open to the public yet?

jbell_64

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Mitchell
    Plus Rural Kings all give out FREE popcorn at the door!!!! YESSSSSSS!!!!! Rural King started in IL and has expanded into IN and KY. I grew up about 20 mi from their original store. It is a really great small company with top notch customer service and competitive prices.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    For What its Worth

My son works at the Big R in Rochester and he told me that the store there will be selling guns soon? He has not been given a date yet though? They currently sell ammo though.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    My son works at the Big R in Rochester and he told me that the store there will be selling guns soon? He has not been given a date yet though? They currently sell ammo though.

It's been several years since I lived in Winimac so I don't know if this is accurate, but there was a Rural King in Logansport. They took over the old K-Mart on Market Street near the mall.

Kfritts

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    j_bell - now i have to ask, where did you grow up? I'm from Toledo just a few miles from Mattoon.

I wish there was one closer to Indy

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I had to go to Marion Monday. I stopped by the Big R there and was very surprised at the amount of guns they had in stock. The had a pretty good selection of ammo but of course the most popular right now was out of stock.

Marion Big R has guns because you cant get a manager to come back and sign off on the paperwork to get a sale to go through. I have attempted to buy a gun there, and after waiting for 30 min ( background check went through, everything GTG, just needed a manager approval) and couldnt get any to spend the 2-3 min to come back and OK it.

Kinda hard to sell guns if they cant leave the gun counter. Hopefully Rural King in Muncie starts to carry the selection that Big R does, I wont have any reason to ever return to that store.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Now, I can Use my saying with almost 100% accuracy, If you can't get it at Rural King, then you don't need it. Now if they would only sell beer.

db308

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Lawrence County
    Martinsville RK is in a "school zone" so guns have to leave the store in a locked container.
    Handguns that come in a plastic case with the cable lock can be locked by wrappinng the cable through the case handle.
    Long guns that come in a cardbaord box require the purchase of a case and lock if the buyer ddn't bring a locking case with them.
    They hold your Driver's License if you want to handle a gun on display. He said that is due to being in a school zone.
    Like Walmart, they walk you to the door.

The guy said that ATF actually measuered the distance to the school.

Does the "school zone" affect only purchases leaving the building?
    Any effect on those carrying in that area? Rural King, Kroger, Pizza hut, etc?

Saturday evening the counter guy said that they had sold $40k in guns since ~2pm on Friday, and that Rural King has $11M in ammo on back order.

He said that Martinsville is the 2nd store to carry firearms. The Home office store was the first. Other stores would be getting them but he wasn't sure of the criteria to determine which ones. He thought maybe overall sales volumes.

I saw 5 or 6 SIG AR's going out the door about 5 pm Sunday. 1 guy had 4 of them in his cart.. Couldn't tell whether another guy loading into his vehicle had 1 or two.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom