• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indiver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Just got my Spike's AR-15 today and need some info on braking it in. I know I should use good ammo, but how many rounds should I put threw it? How long should I wait after each round? I don't think I want the barrel getting to hot. I should run a nylon or brass brush threw the barrel after each round? Thanks for your help!:ar15:

mertbl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I also just purchased an AR15. I did not worry about breaking it in, just ran a swab through the barrel beforehand and oil on the bolt. Shot some Lake City XM193, 40 rounds of Remington .223 and 20 rounds of Silver bear .223. Gun ran like a champ. Shooting 8" groups at 50 yards. Not great but good enough for a fairly steady rate of fire.

SouthBendIN

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    South Bend
    i just shot the first 100 rounds or so at a very slow rate of fire. That was enough to give me the peace of mind that everything was going to be ok.

JiNx0036

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Michigan City
    Congrats on the new Spikes! I just put together my lower yesterday and should have the upper in a few weeks. I've always read that you should just lube and shoot and not worry about break in unless you have a match rifle. Not sure how true that statment is?

mjones

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    McCordsville
    i've never worried about break in just a good cleaning after you shoot it i think the shoot one round and clean the barrel is a little overkill

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Congrats on the new Spikes! I just put together my lower yesterday and should have the upper in a few weeks. I've always read that you should just lube and shoot and not worry about break in unless you have a match rifle. Not sure how true that statment is?
    Yes this is true. If you go to Bushmasters FAQ section, it will answer all break in questions. As well as all those .223/5.56 questions that guys tend to split hairs about. Unless it is a match grade rifle, there is no break-in required. Chrome lined barrel should not see any bore brush before 200 rnds. and then use a brass brush. I use a dewey one pice rod and a bore guide on my AR's.:twocents:

Top Bottom