• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GaryTX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    Does anyone still make break top revolvers? I think it would be an interesting gun to own. I'm not a collector and would want one in shooting condition. Anyone have an opinion? Worth the buy? Fun to shoot?

Thanks

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I have a Uberti copy of a S&W Schofield revolver in .45 LC, it is very nice.

CIMCA855_1.jpg

10mm, when you care enough to send the very best.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    I hear that North American Arms is going to produce one of their small frame revolvers in a break-top...that would be neat!!!.....22 speed loaders anyone?

Uncle Lee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Tell City
    I hear that North American Arms is going to produce one of their small frame revolvers in a break-top...that would be neat!!!.....22 speed loaders anyone?

They made less than 600 of the little break-tops. It cost too much to make them.
    I did get a pair of them on a special purchase deal.:yesway:

awugaq.jpg

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Just got done fixing an H & R 999 Sportsman for my dad. Not a hugely collectible piece, but a reasonable shooting beast. His was made in 1940. As revolvers go, I kind of like the top break design.

Irish

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Uberti still manufactures reproductions of the Schofield and New Model Russian revolvers from the late 19th Century. They are imported by various outfits such as Navy Arms, Cimarron, etc. etc. The Beretta Laramies mentioned above were also Uberti made, but have, as mentioned, been discontinued.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    I have a Uberti copy of a S&W Schofield revolver in .45 LC, it is very nice.

CIMCA855_1.jpg

So how many Rounds have you put through your Uberti???.. And how long have you owned it..???? Any real issues with it???

Reason I ask is I also wanted one of Clone Schofield for a bit.. But on some other sites. There was a fair amount of problems. Now everyone has commented that Uberti was good at fixing or replacing the problem guns.. But fixing new guns can be such a let down.. :(

Irish

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Most of the problems related to "clone" Schofields were reported in the model made by ASM (Armi San Marco) for a period of time and imported by Cimarron Arms. They were lousy from the get-go with only a few exceptions. The Uberti problems largely center on black powder usage. The repro breaktops (Smiths) omit the gas ring on the cylinder and tend to foul rather quickly with BP cartridges.

I don't have a Schofield, but have run a couple thousand rounds through an Uberti New Model Russian and probably 1,000 through a Beretta Laramie. The Russian is a solid, sound, accurate firearm with zero problems throughout my usage over the last 4-5 years. The Laramie is also well-built (now discontinued) and functions flawlessly now that the lawyer safety has been addressed. It its original form, that safety prevented the firearm from functioning at all in both the ones I own.

ruger44srh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Had not thought about that type of gun for over 50 years LOL. remember my Dad or Uncle having one but I kinda remember it not locking right and spewing lead and powder. No idea what brand it was

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    I don't have a Schofield, but have run a couple thousand rounds through an Uberti New Model Russian and probably 1,000 through a Beretta Laramie. The Russian is a solid, sound, accurate firearm with zero problems throughout my usage over the last 4-5 years. The Laramie is also well-built (now discontinued) and functions flawlessly now that the lawyer safety has been addressed. It its original form, that safety prevented the firearm from functioning at all in both the ones I own.

Hey thanks for the insites, I must admit the Russian is a beautiful gun.. There is something about the Pistol grip that is attractive... :dunno: and of course the boot hook on the trigger guard is nice..

2 questions.. What caliber did you get it in????.. and please tell what the "lawyer safety" is in reference to????

Mike

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    So how many Rounds have you put through your Uberti???.. And how long have you owned it..???? Any real issues with it???

Reason I ask is I also wanted one of Clone Schofield for a bit.. But on some other sites. There was a fair amount of problems. Now everyone has commented that Uberti was good at fixing or replacing the problem guns.. But fixing new guns can be such a let down.. :(

I have not fired the Schofield yet. I've had it about 8 months and I'm waiting on Beech Grove Firearms to get their new indoor range built so that I can shoot many of the guns I now own.
    I used to go to Atteberry but I won't go back there any more. I liked the old range better.

I examined and measured everything about it before I bought it to be sure it was a good one.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    I have not fired the Schofield yet. I've had it about 8 months and I'm waiting on Beech Grove Firearms to get their new indoor range built so that I can shoot many of the guns I now own.
    I used to go to Atteberry but I won't go back there any more. I liked the old range better.

I examined and measured everything about it before I bought it to be sure it was a good one.

Holy Smokes.. That must be eating you alive... Here you have a finely tuned shooting Iron and not shooting it....

and I know how it is not to have a place to shoot something, So this is no dig.. In fact my heart goes out to you..

Irish

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    indy1919a4:

My Uberti Russian is in the original .44 Russian caliber (or as I like to say, the .44 magnum extra short;)). Lord, I love that round -- big bore, easy to shoot, simple to reload and very accurate. The Russian is also available in .45 Colt.

The Laramies (pretty much a direct copy of S&W's New Model No. 3) are both in .45 Colt. They were only available in .45 Colt and .38 Special but, as I say, they are now discontinued. They probably still show up on the gun auction sites and etc. I suspect.

The "lawyer safety" is just a tongue-in-cheek reference to the mechanism put on many guns 1) to get them through customs and 2) to prevent lawsuits from "accidental discharges."

In the case of the Laramies, it was a convoluted mechanism installed between the hammer and the right hand side of the frame, that was designed as a hammer block. It worked very well. In fact, so well that even when loaded, cocked and the trigger pulled, the guns would not fire at all -- the block keeping the firing pin from ever reaching the cartridge primer.

Once that was rectified, they have been excellent single-action revolvers.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    indy1919a4:

My Uberti Russian is in the original .44 Russian caliber (or as I like to say, the .44 magnum extra short;)). Lord, I love that round -- big bore, easy to shoot, simple to reload and very accurate. The Russian is also available in .45 Colt.

I had a chance to get a lightly used Urberti 44. Russian but passed on it because did not want to hassle of having to reload ,.. I realize that 45 colt is not the easiest to find, but it is easier then 44 russian. And lets be honest placing the 45 colt even in a Urberti clone must be making Schofield & Smith & wesson roll over in their graves..

Irish

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Well, the .45 Colt revolvers will generally accept the old S&W .45 Schofield round (still available), so that oughta help keep those guys stationary in their resting places.

True, the .44 Russian rounds aren't the easiest to find, and the .45 Colts are more common, however, if you're a reloader they're pretty simple. Same lead as .44 special, and in many cases, same dies. The Russian round is just a shorter .44 special case and is, in fact, its father.

Top Bottom