• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    The sad reality is that until she is faced with the situation she may never understand why you did what you did. You were prepared but definitely didn't overreact. Overreact would've been to wave the gun around carelessly and to have your finger on the trigger.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Another reason for claymores....

Cool way to eliminate a BG, but I will stick with guns.

Scottish_claymore_replica_(Albion_Chieftain)2.jpg

W

Wabatuckian

Point 1: You're alive.

Point 2: If she means a lot to you, try to talk it out. If she won't talk it out, you might consider joint counseling.

On the other hand, if it's not a serious relationship, you may just consider bailing as was mentioned. She will become a liability by continuing to see you as a whacked combat vet and there will always be trust issues due to this.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Does she mean a lot to you? I mean, A LOT? If so, talk to her and try to work things out. IF NOT, abandon ship. She sounds like a liability. Better to overreact than to be in the headlines because you guys were killed in your own home.

My :twocents:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I see nothing wrong with your actions. Very responsible and measured.

I'm lucky that I have a wife that understands today's realities, and actually ENCOURAGES me to carry. I too have got the nudge followed by "what was that?" that after a perimeter walk made her feel safer.

Overreacting is emptying your mag through the front door "just in case".
    :)::ar15::ar15::ar15:

Well done Marine.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I don't think you overreacted at all... Handled it very efficiently IMHO.

If you would've emptied a mag carelessly, yeah that would be overreacting. Not to mention DANGEROUS, not knowing where your kids are, what's behind the target, etc...

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    With the op's former training, he acted and secured his AO. Sorry GF didn't understand.

My wife didn't want firearms around till a "bump and rob" by vehicle almost claimed her 30 yrs ago, on the streets near her work.(use to work in an Emergency Room, Hospital- midnites) She drove to the Police Department to report it.(no cell phones then)
    She changed and accepted the fact that bad things can happen to good people. Anytime. Lots of close calls, and you miss them unless you know the Danger signs.
    OP has my support, hope it goes better in future.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Raise your hand if you have never investigated a bump in the night.

Anyone? Anyone?

Sure, it is usually the refrigerator, the furnace or maybe a tree branch rubbing against the house.
    Usually.

Bad things happen, sometimes in unexpected places. Being prepared and ensuring the house is secure is the responsible thing to do. Just make sure your response is appropriate, performed safely, and that you are fully awake.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Has she ever heard a noise during the night and asked you to check it out, or you both obviously heard a noise and she was fine ignoring it?

richieray

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Kewanna
    My wife was initally against guns as well. I tried to be understanding of her concerns while explaining my position. i also recruited help from female friends of hers who were gun supporters. This female friend got my wife to go shotting with her the first time, now wife goes to range with us and i had to buy her shotgun to trap shot with (she didn't like my 12 ga). This female friend and I have had several females to the range new female shooters just seem to be more comfortable wtih learning from another female, thats my advice for what it is worth.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    First, you under-reacted. If you thought you heard someone trying the door, that deserves a perimeter check.
    Second, 17 years and she's still a girlfriend? I may be wrong, but that seems to me to be lack of commitment on the part of one or both.
    If it is a lack of trust and/or commitment, be prepared to be barred from the house and have all your guns confiscated because you "may be a danger to yourself or others." What you did could easily be spun that way if your girlfriend decides she wants the guns out of the house.
    I wish you the best.
    Good Luck.

Top Bottom