• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I'd love to have a well-made single shot rifle.

Who makes a really good break-barrel in popular centerfile calibers?

Is the handi-rifle a break-action? What about the Ruger single-shot rifles?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Ruger's are "falling block", not break open (there is no hinge of the barrel assembly to action).

I run a TC Contender carbine for deer (break open). A bit more expensive but IMHO nicer than an H&R.
    I'd rather have a Ruger #1 rebarreled to .35 Rem for deer, but the little TC does so well I might just stick with it.

For bigger pressure cartridge stuff, you'd have to go to the TC encore. I'm not a fan of those, but many people are.
    TC used to make a different break open rifle years ago called the TCR83 (and another version of it). It too a switch barrel system, like the Contender/Encore but of course it is off different bbl design..........so you'd have to find a TCR bbl.............and they aint too common. Plus there's price.

If looking at falling blocks, Browning makes a nice one too. But like the Ruger #1, you get what you get, they don't have barrel interchangeability.

As much as TC bbls cost (for any platform) they IMHO aint the bargain they used to be (multi barrel setup).

Last edited:

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    I have the T/C Encore and it is pretty nice. The Contender is also good and a bit lighter and more compact. You didn't say what you were going to use this for.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I take my .35 Rem Super 16 TC out for yotes, because it's so light/compact. But it's not as light as it was, added more weight to the forend to help with offhand shooting (helped).

Still not the tank my 700 ADL is (in comparison).

My dad has a Contender Carbine, Fajen stock, with custom shop .256 Win bbl..............man I want to smoke a yote or fox with that thing!

Too bad the TC Custom shop is no more. EABCO wants what ? $400 for a barrel now and the lead time is ?????
    Auction sites for less common TC barrels are getting top dollar..........IMHO buying a TC break open now is simply a matter if you want THAT rifle.

The idea of changing barrels and saving maybe some coin is pretty much gone.

Even a rifle with multiple barrels is "one rifle".

Life's too short for that ;)

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    The Handi Rifles are a pretty good value, for the money..Break action. They are not sexy, all the gun owners you know will not live in envy..but who cares?

xHwyLT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Monroe
    I'd love to have a well-made single shot rifle.

Who makes a really good break-barrel in popular centerfile calibers?

Is the handi-rifle a break-action? What about the Ruger single-shot rifles?

There are currently 4 "break-barrel" design rifles being sold. The most expensive are the TC offerings, as stated previously the Contender, Encore, and TCR83 (no longer made). I had an Encore, but just wasn't happy with the extended rifle/pistol design. I would have been much more happy with the TCR.

H&R makes the Handi Rifle series, these are solid, inexpensive, and accurate. I have a few and am very happy with them. Owners of these guns are passionate about them, so much so, there is a Handi Rifle forum on the Graybeards Outdoors Site. Both the TCs' & H&Rs' are American made products, they offer additional interchangeable barrels in different calibers, and their customer service departments are pretty good.

Then there are the foreign made break open designs. Rossi (Brazil) makes a rifle that flat out, tries to copy the H&R design, and IMHO doesn't do a very good job at it. Their customer service leaves a lot to be desired, to put it mildly. I personally would skip even taking this offering into consideration.

Recently CVA, a US company which imports Spanish made muzzle loaders, has entered the break open center rifle market with two offerings called the Apex, and the Scout. The Apex also features barrel interchangeability, while the Scout doesn't. I can't say whether the CVA Apex or Scout, are any good, as I have had no experience with them, nor do I know anyone that owns one.

As stated previously by Hookeye the Ruger #1 is a falling block, and a lot more expensive.

snorko - Love your by-line ""I saw a movie once where only the police and military had guns. It was called Schindler's List.", mind if I steal it to use?

hubel458

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Here is one I built on a Pedretti in my 585HE, by mono-blocking
    in a 585 barrel. Did same with NEF, Magtech, CBC, Beretta, couple others.
    I like singleshots.Ed

ped585

IMPD31323

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    indy
    I had a H&R in 500 S&W but it was too much gun for deer IMHO. I now have a Ruger No.1 in 45-70 and absolutely love it. Even if indiana opens the flood gates on deer calibers it will be following me to the deer woods.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    Handi's Rule

The sweet thing about the Handi Rifle is you can have additional barrels fitted to the same receiver. You could have a 12 guage, 22, 223, 44 mag, 30/06, 45/70 all for less than the cost of a ruger No 1 (which are fantastic rifles) Also the entire handi rifle wouldn't be much more than a T/C encore kit.

For the money you cannot beat a handi rifle. People make fun of them until you get them on the range. With a little tuning and working on them (greybeard forum is full of tips), their accuracy will astound you.

I'm taking one in 44 mag/ .445 supermag on a bear hunt this fall.

Last edited:

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    The sweet thing about the Handi Rifle is you can have additional barrels fitted to the same receiver. You could have a 12 guage, 22, 223, 44 mag, 30/06, 45/70 all for less than the cost of a ruger No 1 (which are fantastic rifles) Also the entire handi rifle wouldn't be much more than a T/C encore kit.

Thats only if you have an SB2 receiver. SB1 receivers are for rimfire, shotgun, and 357 and 44.

Top Bottom