• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    I'm new to ARs, and I'm not sure which mags to buy. Are there some I should stay away from? What are your recommendations? I'm willing to be on a waiting list; no hurry, just want to get a few in the next month or so.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I'm new to ARs, and I'm not sure which mags to buy. Are there some I should stay away from? What are your recommendations? I'm willing to be on a waiting list; no hurry, just want to get a few in the next month or so.

MagPul polymer Pmags are awesome. $15 is a good price.

C Products mags are also top notch, probably my favorite metal magazines, they are stainless steel, priced at $12 each.

Brownells mags are considered some of the best commercial magazines by many, I've personally never tried them, so I can't speak from personal experience on those.

D&H Mil-Spec aluminum, teflon coated with the enhanced green followers are good basic magazines, typically for about $11 to $14 each for those. I use them regularly and find them to be very very good.

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008

C Products mags are also top notch, probably my favorite metal magazines, they are stainless steel, priced at $12 each.

Brownells mags are considered some of the best commercial magazines by many, I've personally never tried them, so I can't speak from personal experience on those.

D&H Mil-Spec aluminum, teflon coated with the enhanced green followers are good basic magazines, typically for about $11 to $14 each for those. I use them regularly and find them to be very very good.

Is the a reason to go with aluminum vs. polymer?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Is the a reason to go with aluminum vs. polymer?

Trade offs. Poly can melt or potentially stress and weaken with time, but is utterly reliable in the short term. Nobody yet knows how long they will last. Some people have had trouble with Pmags dropping free of their gun, others swear they are the most reliable. Aluminum can't rust, is very light, but can be dented or crushed if stepped on. The coating is slick and will generally drop free without issues. Take your pick. Many people think the MagPul Pmag is the best mag out there. Fact is that it is not proven for long term because it is relatively new to the market. But it is an awesome magazine, at least in the short term. Aluminum magazines have been in use for decades, but there is no question that they are somewhat fragile if you are in a situation where you are dropping magazines and running from shooting station to shooting station and you could potentially step on them.

Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    For what its worth. I think you should buy both :) I like the PMAGs because they look good and they are easier to load (easy on the thumbs). You can't argue with the aluminum ones. They are field proven for many many years.

By the way, Charles Daly just got some PMAGS in today and they are still in stock.

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Thanks for all your help. I'll probably order some of both.

One more question. Does a green follower make a difference? Couldn't a crummy mfr make a crummy follower?

[edit]

OK, two more questions. Does certain ARs (Colt, for example) prefer a partciular mag mfr?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Thanks for all your help. I'll probably order some of both.

One more question. Does a green follower make a difference? Couldn't a crummy mfr make a crummy follower?

[edit]

OK, two more questions. Does certain ARs (Colt, for example) prefer a partciular mag mfr?
    D&H green follower magazines are good, the green follower from D&H is an enhanced no-tip follower. The CProducts has an orange follower that works pretty much the same way.

Regarding you last question, yes, some companies machine their mag well differently than others, I've got 4 or 5 different brands of lowers and the mag wells are machined with different curves and bevels on each brand (and all are mil-spec).

I typically have some of each on hand. Aluminum, Steel and Poly. I dunno why. Maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment?

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo

Thanks for the rundown...just ordered a few C Products mags from whatacountry.

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Thanks for the help. I went with a few PMags from Brownells and a few steel directly from cproductsllc.com.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Bravo Company is selling those for half a buck more than I sold them to INGO members. No deal there!

But they have been selling Lancer magazines for 18.99 with 1 cent shipping. That is a good deal on great magazines. I've been buying more Lancers than PMags. I am sold on Lancers now. Love the metal feed lips and translucent bodies.

I finally picked up 25 Brownells. They are very nice, no tilt enhanced followers, great finish. For a metal mag they look good. Have not tried them yet.

Top Bottom