• ...and so much more!
  • STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    I keep reading (on various sites) about people adding car polish such as Nu Finish to their tumbling process.
    What is the point of this addition?
    At what point in the tumbling cycle do you add it?
    Do you have a preferred polish type/brand?

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    Never done it, but I believe it's something that is added periodically, as needed. Not so much like you add fabric softener at the rinse cycle of your laundry.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Nu finish really improves the cleaning process. I add it after the brass. It will clump up at first but then it mixes in.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Fullmag, do you pour it in while the tumbler is running?
    Does it affect the inside of the brass? EG: leaves a residue or film that the powder sticks to during the powder drop phase?

BTW, thank you for answering the noob questions!

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Add a capfull or so with the tumbler running, full of media and no brass.
    Let it run for a few minutes that way until the media unclumps and it is dry.
    Then add your brass.
    I use Dillons brass polish.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Weve used nu-finish, chrome polish and maybe a few others.
    All seem to work. As stated, add a cap full or so, let run for a few minutes, add brass.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have added Turtle wax polishing compound as an abrasive to corn cob media when I was out of dillon or midway brass polish. I am sure any liquid car polish with a cleaner will work.

Without some mild abrasive, raw corn cob will just shine up carbon scorch marks. The mild abrasive cuts through the carbon.

Like already said, add it to a running tumbler, and leave it run a while until it is dry. (I'll let it run an hour usually) If you add brass too soon, especially rifle brass, you will end up with tightly packed cases full of media. It is a nusance to clean out.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Clean brass is probably all you really need but shiny polished brass goes through a sizing die with less effort and makes it harder for residue to stick to on the next firing. I use a small amount and let it run until it breaks down in the tumbler before adding the brass. You can use a spoon to break up the lumps to speed the process.

Lee S. Forsberg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2011
    Been adding nu-finish or chrome polish for 15 yrs or so and never had an issue with barrel/chamber wear.

If I want the outside of the cases polished I use Toilet Paper. When the inside of the case and the primer pockets need cleaning I use SS pins and hand soap.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    If I want the outside of the cases polished I use Toilet Paper. When the inside of the case and the primer pockets need cleaning I use SS pins and hand soap.

Toilet Paper ????? Please explain...
    How do tell, do you wet tumble with pins and clean just the inside of the cases ????
    No wet tumbling here, fill up drum with 100 pieces of brass, add water and soap, tumble , then wait hummmmmmmmmmmm. Then rinse off and then dry..
    I tumble , sift, check primer pockets and load..

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The abrasive that is in car polish or specifically made case polish is softer than the steel in a barrel. It is also WAY softer than the carbide ring in a sizing die. It is not anything like carborundum or diamond grit. It will not hurt your barrel. Think of it like the plastic pads used for cleaning a teflon pan, it is harder than the crusty food, but still softer than the teflon.

Lee S. Forsberg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2011
    Toilet Paper ????? Please explain...
    How do tell, do you wet tumble with pins and clean just the inside of the cases ????
    No wet tumbling here, fill up drum with 100 pieces of brass, add water and soap, tumble , then wait hummmmmmmmmmmm. Then rinse off and then dry..
    I tumble , sift, check primer pockets and load..

I use Toilet paper to clean case lube from loaded rounds and to polish them. About 10' of TP in the drum and some loaded rounds or empty brass tumble for 2-3 hours cleans them well. Or about 20 minutes to an hour just get the lube off.
    To clean just the inside and primer pockets of brass cases with wet SS pins and hand soap would be a good trick!! The outside of the cases are bound to get clean in the process, can't be helped. Then rinse, dry, and load.

Lee S. Forsberg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2011
    The abrasive that is in car polish or specifically made case polish is softer than the steel in a barrel. It is also WAY softer than the carbide ring in a sizing die. It is not anything like carborundum or diamond grit. It will not hurt your barrel. Think of it like the plastic pads used for cleaning a teflon pan, it is harder than the crusty food, but still softer than the teflon.

What abrasive is used in car polish or case polish?

Top Bottom