• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Nice setup.. If you had to start from scratch how much would a person put into this setup?
    The Metro cart is expensive, probably $750 to $1000 but I got it (and others) free or dirt cheap.

I first used it to hold 16 of the 18 gallon Rubbermaid totes, 4 to a shelf, side by side. You could easily build a set up with 2x4's to match that and put wheels under it as well. Always buy wheels 3 times bigger than you think you need and with a swivel plate and bearings. Get all 4 wheels with swivel plates, wheel locks are optional.

I would say:
    $40 on wheels
    $20 cheapo 2x4's
    $20-$30 for a 2x4 shelf kit
    $25 on Orca grow film
    $20 for a 24" x 25' roll of Reflectix
    $75 for a pair of 4' T5 high output fixtures (not shown in picture)
    $15 for a pair of tarp of zippers, $5 roll of duct tape.
    $20 for a small clip on oscillating fan
    Add an outdoor quality GFCI outlet or at least a power strip on a breaker.

$X for a heated seed mat or small heater
    later on repeat lights and seed matt for bottom shelf

I also have tons of chemically impervious trays and bins that fit those shelves in both white and black but you can use anything. The middle shelf is for true germination and small cuttings, bins are covered to hold humidity. Then they get moved to the top shelf. Then to the bottom.

How you plan to germinate, light and heat the space, circulate air are all integrated to some degree. From now on, in small spaces I will always use T5 high outputs and will likely standardize on them in my shops and work spaces as well. I am done with T12's and T8's. I skipped past standard T5's to HO T5's.

As an FYI, in 2010 when we moved, I left 12 of the totes on the rack, removed the 4 totes from the top shelf, wrapped the entire thing with large plastic shipping wrap and the movers just rolled it on the truck. I did that with all my metro racks. They rolled right off the truck and into my garage here in perfect shape.

If you want metro carts, they are worth every penny new but try to buy them used at auction from any failed factory or business. That is where all my stuff came from. Tall Lockers, workshop tables, loading bench, metro carts, rubbermaid carts, tool chests, tons of tools, trays, bins, copper and more...........Truly bitter sweet.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    d6ce70c9-44ec-4add-9d10-935311e1024f.jpg

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    You know, folks, every great once in a while I post something rather valuable to the INGO community. I sometimes even get "rep" for them.

This is not one of those times.

Carry on.

-J-

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Couple years ago when I started playing with Metro carts. My kitchen/garden/propane "crash cart" as I call it. Not in pic but added propane tanks, with propane tree, on demand hot water heater and lantern. Kind of speaks for itself. Use outside, in garage or roll into house. Easy to clean and disinfect stainless steel.

I bought the sink many years ago CHEAP as a dent/ding demo from Lowes.

232323232%7Ffp536%3A4%3Enu%3D4548%3E98%3B%3E255%3EWSNRCG%3D3266%3A9%3C8%3B5346nu0mrj

The picture on the wall is an autographed pic of Clint Eastwood, he and I use to drink together in High School. Where the rubbermaid cart is, I put a steel work table, just not at the house in the picture.

232323232%7Ffp53668%3Enu%3D4548%3E98%3B%3E255%3EWSNRCG%3D3266%3C4%3C%3B3%3B346nu0mrj

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    You know, folks, every great once in a while I post something rather valuable to the INGO community. I sometimes even get "rep" for them.

This is not one of those times.

Carry on.

-J-
    I would rep you for being a rep whore but apparently I repped you recently for some other smartass thing you posted? Someone will do it!

PS so I gave it to Smokingman instead

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    The picture on the wall is an autographed pic of Clint Eastwood, he and I use to drink together in High School. Where the rubbermaid cart is, I put a steel work table, just not at the house in the picture

Yeah........... :joke:

And me and Chuck Norris use to chuck wood while fighting ninjas at the same time

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    GirlfriendS. In the substituion thread I said Girlfriend. I want to substitute Girfriends for Girlfriend.

Only, that runs counter to survival because it can be really, really dangerous.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom