• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I attended a nice, informal 4+ hour free handgun safety course today put on by local LEO's. The instructing officer remarked that he is a certified trainer at the academy so I figured this was going to be a very nice learning experience, which as it turned out it was. Many guns were brought by the PD to give hands-on training with many various weapons as well as the attendees were asked to bring as many as they wished.

During the 2 hr classroom portion, the officers covered such topics as;

* Firearm safety
    * Fundamentals of marksmanship
    Grip
    Stance
    Sight picture
    Breathe control
    Trigger control
    Follow through
    * Shooting stance
    * Clearing and malfunctions
    * Cleaning and maintenance
    * Safe storage

Then we were all taken to the police shooting range for another 2 hrs of range time to see if we had been listening in class. But more importantly to get comfortable with handling and firing our carry pistols. Overall it was a very nice, fun and informative way to spend a Saturday thanks to the local PD. They said they would like to make this an annual event (as long as the insurance co. allows it) and hope more people will take advantage of it in the future. Best part was when they brought out thier duty AR's loaded some 30rd mags and let the shooters have at it! :yesway:

( I did catch a few pieces of mis-information though. When told a few people didn't attend because they hadn't recvd their LTCH yet, one officer stated that it would have been ok because they can transport a gun to a range or class without it. Oops. He also said that any handgun magazine that holds more than 10 rounds is considered high capacity and illegal for civilians in IN. )

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    I attended a nice, informal 4+ hour free handgun safety course today put on by local LEO's. The instructing officer remarked that he is a certified trainer at the academy so I figured this was going to be a very nice learning experience, which as it turned out it was. Many guns were brought by the PD to give hands-on training with many various weapons as well as the attendees were asked to bring as many as they wished.

During the 2 hr classroom portion, the officers covered such topics as;

* Firearm safety
    * Fundamentals of marksmanship
    Grip
    Stance
    Sight picture
    Breathe control
    Trigger control
    Follow through
    * Shooting stance
    * Clearing and malfunctions
    * Cleaning and maintenance
    * Safe storage

Then we were all taken to the police shooting range for another 2 hrs of range time to see if we had been listening in class. But more importantly to get comfortable with handling and firing our carry pistols. Overall it was a very nice, fun and informative way to spend a Saturday thanks to the local PD. They said they would like to make this an annual event (as long as the insurance co. allows it) and hope more people will take advantage of it in the future. Best part was when they brought out thier duty AR's loaded some 30rd mags and let the shooters have at it! :yesway:

( I did catch a few pieces of mis-information though. When told a few people didn't attend because they hadn't recvd their LTCH yet, one officer stated that it would have been ok because they can transport a gun to a range or class without it. Oops. He also said that any handgun magazine that holds more than 10 rounds is considered high capacity and illegal for civilians in IN. )
    That's awesome. :D

Just out of curiosity... did anyone correct the misinformation?

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I questioned the license issue and was met with the answer, "No, it's allowed as long as the gun is unloaded and in the trunk". He then asked me "If that's true then how do you get your gun home when you buy it?" Since I had no proof to back me up I just told him to look it up and he'd learn the truth. He agreed he would do that.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    I questioned the license issue and was met with the answer, "No, it's allowed as long as the gun is unloaded and in the trunk". He then asked me "If that's true then how do you get your gun home when you buy it?" Since I had no proof to back me up I just told him to look it up and he'd learn the truth. He agreed he would do that.
    That's in the Indiana Code, the pertinent section of which is covered at least twice, maybe three times in the FAQ. The IC specifically states that it can be transported from purchase to your residence or fixed place of business, or to and from a repair shop. It says nothing about going to a range, with a VERY few exceptions based on personage, not how it is transported.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    Awesome! I'm glad BPD actually did this, I know they were talking about it, but didn't know they were actually doing it. I wish my buddy (who's an instructor, but not THE instructor) didn't let me know :(

FYI, BPD does have a few very competent instructors, a couple even travel to other agencies about the country to instruct.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I'm going to ask the training officer if it is possible for them to consider giving a class covering gun laws and self defense. If there is no range time, I don't think the town's insurance would have a problem with it.

When a question was brought up about home defense, they said that this class was only about firearm safety and that was all they were going to be able to cover in the time allocated.

I hope they consider another course as well.

Awesome! I'm glad BPD actually did this, I know they were talking about it, but didn't know they were actually doing it. I wish my buddy (who's an instructor, but not THE instructor) didn't let me know :(

Sorry, I should have empasized BPD = Bremen Police Dept. :)

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    I'm going to ask the training officer if it is possible for them to consider giving a class covering gun laws and self defense. If there is no range time, I don't think the town's insurance would have a problem with it.
    That'd be an interesting class. We may have to organize something like this for INGO.

*puts her thinking cap on*

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    The officer in charge of the class just stopped by my house and we had a nice chat on the deck. He wanted to know what I thought of the class and seemed very pleased when I told him how much I enjoyed it and how I learned some nice techniques that I'm sure will improve my shooting (improving my stance, breathing, etc.).

When I asked about future classes on gun laws he didn't really want to go that far yet and concerning defense, he said one of his fellow officers would be better trained to instruct on that and they might add some of his expertise into the classroom eventually. For now he was more concerned with just teaching safety, firearm basics and getting owners comfortable with handling and shooting their guns.

He did say he hopes to draw in newcomers and really enjoys teaching the owners who have never shot their handguns. 2 of the attendees had never shot any kind of weapon and in less than a box of bullets he had them putting their shots inside a playing card. It was really cool to watch them improve and their joy of accomplishment was priceless.

He asked if I would help him with the next class because as he stated, many people are imtimidated by a uniform and will hold back asking questions or volunteering whereas they are more comfortable if civilians are helping also.

Lil Tippy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Post next class.

I live in the area and would travel for that class. Please post the info or PM me. Thanks.

Top Bottom