• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Is anyone going to the bowling pin shoot on Saturday, September 27th at Marion County Fish & Game on 136 in Indy?

My friend and I are planning to attend. What's the drill?

What time do we show up? What's the fee? I understand it is one-on-one compeition, single elimination, is this correct? How long will this brewhaha last? Anything I need to know?

TIA.:)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    First of all, you cheeky British monkey, how many times have I invited you to a competitive shooting endeavor? How many times have you rebuffed me! I am outraged! OUTRAGED!

The match will have multiple J-ladders. You'll have a chance to enter each time, but only 16 people can shoot in any given ladder. You shoot man-on-man (or woman), single elimination, until you have a winner. If you don't get in one, you put your name in for the next and you'll get to shoot, etc. It will continue as long as people want to keep doing it.

It's a lot of fun and excellent marksmanship practice. Bowling pins are unforgiving reactive targets, especially when they get heavy (from bullets lodged in them) or when you knock them over, but not off of the table (they have to hit the ground).

Most importantly, the MCF&G people are a great group. They are friendly and welcoming, and you'll have a good time.

Is anyone going to the bowling pin shoot on Saturday, September 27th at Marion County Fish & Game on 136 in Indy?

My friend and I are planning to attend. What's the drill?

What time do we show up? What's the fee? I understand it is one-on-one compeition, single elimination, is this correct? How long will this brewhaha last? Anything I need to know?

TIA.:)

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    First of all, you cheeky British monkey, how many times have I invited you to a competitive shooting endeavor? How many times have you rebuffed me! I am outraged! OUTRAGED!

The match will have multiple J-ladders. You'll have a chance to enter each time, but only 16 people can shoot in any given ladder. You shoot man-on-man (or woman), single elimination, until you have a winner. If you don't get in one, you put your name in for the next and you'll get to shoot, etc. It will continue as long as people want to keep doing it.

It's a lot of fun and excellent marksmanship practice. Bowling pins are unforgiving reactive targets, especially when they get heavy (from bullets lodged in them) or when you knock them over, but not off of the table (they have to hit the ground).

Most importantly, the MCF&G people are a great group. They are friendly and welcoming, and you'll have a good time.

What he said. They do have a "second chance" ladder now. So even if you do nothing but loose, you get to shoot at least twice for your two bucks. They usually run through several ladders during the day (4-5 easy).

I don't know what all you have learned about it but here is the basic run down of how things work:

There are five bowling pins set on a table about 4-5' deep, evenly spaced. The pins are normally at the front of the table, except for minor calibers (usually 9mm and .38spl) which are placed in the center of the table. All guns are only allowed 7 rounds total and speedloaders are okay for the revolver shooters. You are allowed unlimited reloads if you want, but you can't shoot more than 7 times before having to do so. You are behind a barrel i'd say about 20-25ft. away from the tables. It is just you and your opponent. Whistle blows. You shoot to knock all the pins off the table. It doesn't matter how, (roll off, knock straight off, one pin takes another with it, etc), just all pins need to hit the ground. The first to do that wins. It is sort of like gun drag racing. It doesn't matter how fast you go, as long as you are faster than the person you are facing at the time.

As for strategy, I have found the bigger and heavier the bullet, the better. Momentum is the name of the game, not KE. I use almost exclusively 230gr. .45 plated bullets (soft and flatten out like lead, but without the mess). My dad has had great luck with 180gr. plated bullets in his .357mag. The fastest guy there uses a Smith 629 with downloaded .44mag shooting big chunks of lead (not sure the weight).

Bowling pin shooting helps you speed up your sight aquisition and alignment and transitioning between targets. Unlike steel matches, the targets can change if you don't get them off the table with the first shot, requiring you to go back to them and try to shoot them off the table in what is probably a less than favorable position (lying on their side or worse yet laying flat with just the bottom showing). Also if you feel up to it, some of the more advanced shooters will try to help their pins off the table faster if they are rolling to the edge by shooting them (requiring them to hit a small moving target).

Overall it is cheap and good fun. BTW, optics and compensators are not illegal, but the do get you an extra pin on your table for a handicap. Also bring at least 200 rounds of ammo.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Great fun! Everyone gets to shoot at least twice per round. Normally 4-5 rounds and done by around noon.
    Most any gun will work but the bigger bullets seem to work better, ie. 45, 40 and heavy 357. (mm and 38 spl will work but shot placement is much more critical. Bring several speed loaders or magizines.
    The tables are 4' deep X 8' long. Standard placement is pins 1' back form front with "minor" calibers going 2' back. Shooter to table distance is 25'.
    If you are new to the sport, show up by 8:00 AM. Bruce always gives new shooters an full walk through and a trial shoot before the official shooting begins so everyone knows what is going on. Safety is always stressed.
    Calm and sure beats fast and wild every time. The sweet spot to clear a pin in one shot is about 1" wide X 4" high. Other hits will nock them over but not off the table and will require follow up shots.
    Bring a 22 pistol if you can. They often shoot "pin heads" at the end if there is time and interest. Even more fun.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    rhino, first, I AM NOT BRITISH! I was born in Methodist Hospital on 16th Street. Geez, now run like the clappers and go bugger off. Oy, what's all this then, where was I . . . I will shoot for the Queen and you will shoot for . . . (name that movie and that movie character and I will buy you lunch at any place where they do not speak Tagalog).

Right then, second, you blighter, your invitation was reconsidered and gratefully accepted.:D

So, rhino, you are going to be there? I am looking forward to that matchup!:ar15:

browndog2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Professor Rhino there have been some slight changes since you last graced us with your presence.

Our bracket has expanded due to popular demand.
    Its now 24 shooters per bracket. (unless we have less than normal attendance)
    Shooters that do not advance in the first round,
    are placed into a "Second Chance" bracket. Its not a true double elimination, but gives each shooter at least two tables per round ($2 entry fee)

The muzzle loaders have the range this month at 1,
    so we will be done by 12:30.

Especially for new bowling pins shooters, arriving close to 8:30 has its benefits. Our brackets often fill up. If you show up late the wait may be annoying.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    My question is are there age limits on this and FNS?

My Daughter is 13 and not ready for this but she has recently taken a strong interest in handguns and is rockin with the Ruger MKII. So I told her she could set a goal to compete in FNS and some pin shoots in .22lr class. She was receptive to it.

My goal is to have her ready to compete safely in FNS by December. Meaning mag changes and safe gun handling under pressure.

browndog2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Zoub,

This is an issue that we in bowling pins at MCF&GA have not yet encountered.
    We will probably need to discuss this before publishing a response.

In the past we have had a few young shooters, but probably older than 13.

This respone does NOT answer your question for Friday Night Steel.
    Caspian, the Friday Night Steel Match Director, will make the decision as it applies to Friday Night Steel.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Thanks for the info.

I will probably have her come to watch the next FNS I go to and ask around then. Get the ball rolling so to speak. I am a member of the club in Martinsville and I think she can shoot in the pin shoots there? I will check and find out. If so it may be useful info for you guys based on why they do or do not let kids shoot.

Even if she is too young, it is a good way to train on our own as well so I will be setting up similar targets for her at the club.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Alas, it is unlikely I shall attend.

The malevolent spectre of my gainful employment again rears its gruesome visage, hounding me to the very depths of psychological Hell and back!

Unless, of course, I get a lot done today and Friday. But probably not.

Last edited:

browndog2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Alas, poor rhino, he chose not to attend the one day it is rumored that the Swedish bikini bowling pin shooting team might be there.

"Yah, we vus oping da rhino vud be dar to show us his horn"
    said one hot Swedish bikini bowling pin shooting team member.

browndog2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    you forgot:
    defamer, libeler, slanderer; perjurer; distorter, falsifier; equivocator, palterer; gossiper, talebearer; charlatan, cheater, confidence man, counterfeiter, cozener, deceiver, defrauder, dissembler, dissimulator, double-dealer, fraud, hustler, mountebank, pretender

browndog2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    thesaurus -yes
    wise - no

occasionally I find myself hoist on my own petard

the "old man" sez you should come shoot with us sometime soon
    sez he wants to spank that rhino

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If I make it out tomorrow before church in the late afternoon, I have to attend my nephews' soccer game!

TRANSLATION: I fear the old man!

Top Bottom