• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    What are some recommendations for a Bowie-style knife? Price range would be $100 - $200. I definitely don't want one of those Winchester knives from Walmart, but I don't want to spend a small fortune either. There has to be something in my price range that will serve well, right? Help me out!

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    Not quite a Bowie but for the quality, workmanship, versatility, lifetime no-questions-asked warranty, as well as being right in the middle of your price range, I'd PM Knifelady and buy an ESEE Junglas.

Now I'll step back and let the Busse/Scrapyard/Horton/Grayman/SwampRat, etc fan-boys chime in :D

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Ontario makes a bowie-ish type that's not too bad (that I've heard).

Jeff White at the 1500 usually has some larger handmade knives at a good price too.

I guess what features are you looking for and what do you consider a bowie?

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Check out the Entrek Bison and Buffalo, the Cold Steel Laredo (I hate Cold Steel, but I won't disparage them for others, since it's primarily Lynn Thompson I don't like), and the Down Under Outback. Also take a look at the Becker BK9.

But the term "Bowie knife" unfortunately encompasses a very, very wide variety of knives. LOL.

The first thing you'll want to decide is how big do you want it to be, and how hard do you plan to beat on it. Then we can go from there. Out of the ones I listed, I would probably get one of the Entrek blades. Although I think they're a little above the $200 mark.

Maybe give Knife Lady a call! She can probably help you out pretty well.

Last edited:

tacticalfan72

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2012
    What about a SOG Tech Bowie or like Knife Lady said TOPS Knives has some great bowie style blade shapes but not the most traditional if you are looking for stacked leather handles like a KA-BAR.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    Not quite a Bowie but for the quality, workmanship, versatility, lifetime no-questions-asked warranty, as well as being right in the middle of your price range, I'd PM Knifelady and buy an ESEE Junglas.

Now I'll step back and let the Busse/Scrapyard/Horton/Grayman/SwampRat, etc fan-boys chime in :D

nice! i laughed out loud at this one! :laugh:

i heard the ESEE chants before even opening INGO though....... ;)

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    Stephen Fowler makes a nice bowie........

i tell you what though. bowies are the easiest knife in the WORLD to buy. here is what you do:

talk to ANY knifemaker who is involved in FORGING knives.
    purchase a 10" bladed, stag handled bowie.
    ask them what else they make.
    meet their blank stare with your own.
    back out of their shop.

:)

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County

nice! i laughed out loud at this one! :laugh:

i heard the ESEE chants before even opening INGO though....... ;)

No kidding :laugh:

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    There are all kinds of bowie knives, what did you have in mind?

This is what I was thinking as well. You might want to be more specific.

Personally I think Randall makes the best looking traditional large Bowie but you can't find one for $200, I'm afraid.

SOG has probably got one in your price range, though.

If you're just looking for some ginormous, honkin' unicorn slayer, then by all means check out the Busse, Grayman, et. al.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    If you could make it to Friendship during one of their festivals I bet you could find one there from a local maker.

If you want some chinese junk by all means check out sog, :rolleyes:

If you're just looking for some ginormous, honkin' unicorn slayer, then by all means check out the Busse, Grayman, et. al.

Your really trying arn't ya! :lmfao:

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    If you could make it to Friendship during one of their festivals I bet you could find one there from a local maker.

If you want some chinese junk by all means check out sog, :rolleyes:

Your really trying arn't ya! :lmfao:

Is SOG really cheap chinese junk these days? I honestly didn't know. It's been years since I used one but I remember them being pretty decent. They've now gone the way of many other high-quality stuff? Shame.

Grayman has a nice Bowie. If I had to have a Bowie in the $200 range, I'd go for this one:

bowie

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Unfortunately sog has. if you can find there U.S. made stuff it's good to go or even their seki-city Japan stuff but the factory they have making stuff for them in Taiwan is putting out junk. however their company does have a ok warranty and will replace said junk with more junk for you to break.

Grayman makes some beastly knives and you won't go wrong their. also check out the makers section on bladeforums. Find the maker who's work you like and ask them wait times and prices. or you could go the route that Dave posted about in french lick. also that ABA hammer in that was posted up here in troy ohio.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    grunt soldier;3176395[U said:
    ]Unfortunately sog has. if you can find there U.S. made stuff it's good to go or even their seki-city Japan stuff but the factory they have making stuff for them in Taiwan is putting out junk. however their company does have a ok warranty and will replace said junk with more junk for you to break.[/U]

Grayman makes some beastly knives and you won't go wrong their. also check out the makers section on bladeforums. Find the maker who's work you like and ask them wait times and prices. or you could go the route that Dave posted about in french lick. also that ABA hammer in that was posted up here in troy ohio.

I cruise the knife forums probably as much as you, if not more and I'm not seeing people complain about SOG knives any more than any other company with the exception of SOG's Fusion line which is China made and has a reputation for being low quality, but SOG's regular line up like the seal pup, bowie, daggert, recon bowie, tech bowie, creed, and other models are not receiving that criticism.....I don't see people complaining or stating that they are "junk". Can you point me to where you are seeing all of these complaints? SOG even has a sub forum over in bladeforms and if there was that big of an issue about their quality I'm sure we would be seeing a ton of posts about it.

Note: I'm not defending SOG, hell.... I don't even personally own a SOG knife, but I am curious to why a few select people on here continue to bash SOG and I'm not seeing that on the bigger knife forums from the general knife people population. :dunno:

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    I cruise the knife forums probably as much as you, if not more and I'm not seeing people complain about SOG knives any more than any other company with the exception of SOG's Fusion line which is China made and has a reputation for being low quality, but SOG's regular line up like the seal pup, bowie, daggert, recon bowie, tech bowie, creed, and other models are not receiving that criticism.....I don't see people complaining or stating that they are "junk". Can you point me to where you are seeing all of these complaints? SOG even has a sub forum over in bladeforms and if there was that big of an issue about their quality I'm sure we would be seeing a ton of posts about it.

Note: I'm not defending SOG, hell.... I don't even peronally own a SOG knife, but I am curious to why a few select people on here continue to bash SOG and I'm not seeing that on the bigger knife forums from the general knife people population. :dunno:

My problem with SOG stems from their fusion line, I bought a machete and it broke after very light use. I called and wrote emails, when they finally got back with me about it they wanted me to cover shipping so they could inspect it for misuse before they would cover it under warranty. I'm not going to put anymore money into somthing that will most likely fail again.

As for the rest of their stuff, I dunno, and I'm not willing to find out because it looks and feels to be the same.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county

Note: I'm not defending SOG, hell.... I don't even personally own a SOG knife, but I am curious to why a few select people on here continue to bash SOG and I'm not seeing that on the bigger knife forums from the general knife people population. :dunno:

I'm basing it off mostly personal experience, along with stuff that I have read on the knife forums. and I'm not sure if the few select people you mention is me (as I rarely bash any knife company even if I don't like them) but I have broken 2 of their folders and a machete. I have a few of their hawks which work very well for the 20-35 dollar price they ask. I also have a seki city japan sog seal pup and it's a solid little blade for the money. I'm not fond of their stuff made in taiwan. I had a seal pup from there and it held a edge for about 4-5 cuts on a piece of wood and then was dull as could be. That was more than enough experience for me. I have also read a few complaints about them on the web but to be fair I don't hang out in the sog forum or look for positive reviews on them which I'm sure there is.

Now, here is my other problem with them and you even mention it. The fusion line is where a lot of complaints come from. they are made in china and rarely hold up. It doesn't matter what line it is, if your putting your name on a product, you own that product and it's reputation. so if your trying to be a quality knife company why would you continue to put out a product that is very sub par. I mean on INGO alone there have been at least 3 machete's broken. dave, mine and there was another thread about one too not to long ago. In my opinion a company gets it's reputation from everything they put out not just part of it and when part of your line is cheap chinese junk you earn that label and reputation also :)

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I'm basing it off mostly personal experience, along with stuff that I have read on the knife forums. and I'm not sure if the few select people you mention is me (as I rarely bash any knife company even if I don't like them) but I have broken 2 of their folders and a machete. I have a few of their hawks which work very well for the 20-35 dollar price they ask. I also have a seki city japan sog seal pup and it's a solid little blade for the money. I'm not fond of their stuff made in taiwan. I had a seal pup from there and it held a edge for about 4-5 cuts on a piece of wood and then was dull as could be. That was more than enough experience for me. I have also read a few complaints about them on the web but to be fair I don't hang out in the sog forum or look for positive reviews on them which I'm sure there is.

Now, here is my other problem with them and you even mention it. The fusion line is where a lot of complaints come from. they are made in china and rarely hold up. It doesn't matter what line it is, if your putting your name on a product, you own that product and it's reputation. so if your trying to be a quality knife company why would you continue to put out a product that is very sub par. I mean on INGO alone there have been at least 3 machete's broken. dave, mine and there was another thread about one too not to long ago. In my opinion a company gets it's reputation from everything they put out not just part of it and when part of your line is cheap chinese junk you earn that label and reputation also :)

Fair enough...just was curious about your view point. I agree with you on the point that it's probably more of the Fusion line that has created this reputation, but just about every knife company that mass produces has a low end line that is China made.....Kershaw, Buck, Gerber, Spyderco, just to name a few. As far as being made in Taiwan, I'm not convinced any more that the country of origin has much to do with the quality with the exception of China. Example: Some of Spyderco's top and most expensive models are being manufactured in Taiwan. :dunno:

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Fair enough...just was curious about your view point. I agree with you on the point that it's probably more of the Fusion line that has created this reputation, but just about every knife company that mass produces has a low end line that is China made.....Kershaw, Buck, Gerber, Spyderco, just to name a few. As far as being made in Taiwan, I'm not convinced any more that the country of origin has much to do with the quality with the exception of China. Example: Some of Spyderco's top and most expensive models are being manufactured in Taiwan. :dunno:

I'll agree with you on most brands having a china line and I'm not sure the difference in the factories but the cheap kershaws I have bought have all been decent little blades. Something that probably helps is kershaws customer service is awesome.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I'm just as guilty as Grunt. If I get a Sog "Fusion", I stilll consider it to be a Sog, and demand the same results. That's why I hate it when quality manufactures start a discount line, ie Benchmade red label, Sog Fusion, Emerson Hardware, Spyderco Byrd, Chines Kershaws, etc.... What happens is you get guys that buy a cheapo Benchmade because they have always heard how great the brand was, receive sub par performance, and then make a general opinion that the entire line is overpriced.

Top Bottom