• ...and so much more!
  • Tallenn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Thorntown
    Greetings everyone.

I've been thinking I'd like to start bowhunting. It looks exciting and challenging, and the few times I've practiced archery, I've enjoyed it immensely. I've always been a straight gun hunter, without a lot of experience with a bow, though I have shot them before.

I know that to be able to shoot a bow accurately enough to humanely kill game such as deer takes considerable practice, so it's likely that the sooner I start, the better chance I'll have to be ready by the time deer season gets here.

Problem is, I don't have a clue where to start. What do I look for in a bow, and in arrows? What other equipment do I need to practice? Where should I look for information, even training? Basically, what advice do you have for a complete bowhunting novice?

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Find a mentor. Someone who does not have a financial interest in what you buy. I hVent bought a new bow in 12 years so I can't help you out with what's good equipment on the market now.

jlm223

Aim Small Miss Small
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 22, 2009
    Muncie
    Bow hunting for me is an addiction I really enjoy it, I have taken deer with gun and bow, for me to take a deer with a bow it's a greater accomplishment, that said you may start at a local archery shop most times if you see something you like they will let you shoot it, try different ones see what works for you. :twocents: Good Luck you will like it. :patriot:

baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    As far as buying a bow, shoot as many as you can and go with what fits you best. You can get a full setup for as little as $100 used to $1500+ new.

If you're in the market for a compound I recommend a longer axle to axle (33"-37") and a minimum of 7" brace height as they are going to be more forgiving. The shorter B.H. bows are faster, but your form is critical. I've owned PSE, Hoyt and Mathews, all are good bows but can get pretty expensive. Mission archery is owned by mathews (mathews older technology) and you can pick them up quite a bit cheaper.

As for arrows, i shoot carbon and love them. I still know guys shooting aluminum but for hunting they seem to be getting phased out. I'd also go with a quality fall-away rest.

Check out Archerytalk Archery and Bowhunting News It's the ingo of bow's. ;)

Targets can range from a few $3 bales of straw, to $200-300 for a good 3D.
    I have a bag target for field points, and a Rinehart 18-1 for broadheads. Both are great.

Once you get started you'll be hooked. I was mostly a gun hunter growing up, but given the choice now, i enjoy the challenge of the bow much more.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

HCAman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Near Terre Haute, IN
    Greetings everyone.

I've been thinking I'd like to start bowhunting. It looks exciting and challenging, and the few times I've practiced archery, I've enjoyed it immensely. I've always been a straight gun hunter, without a lot of experience with a bow, though I have shot them before.

I know that to be able to shoot a bow accurately enough to humanely kill game such as deer takes considerable practice, so it's likely that the sooner I start, the better chance I'll have to be ready by the time deer season gets here.

Problem is, I don't have a clue where to start. What do I look for in a bow, and in arrows? What other equipment do I need to practice? Where should I look for information, even training? Basically, what advice do you have for a complete bowhunting novice?

If it's info your looking for, start at Archerytalk Archery and Bowhunting News go to the forum and start reading. Careful, it is a big forum, there are a lot of crap on there.

Anyway, I wouldn't start with a fast bow. Speed is great, but fast bows are difficult to shoot and can hurt your confidence in the beginning. choose something that fits you. Have a professional measure your draw length. This is one of the most overlooked aspects of archery.

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    +1 on finding a mentor to help you get set up and to teach you the ropes.

+1 on a longer more forgiving bow as well, that's what I and most people have started out with.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    if i were buying a beginner a bow today i would probably go with a bear instinct. its a fairly cheep bow but accurate and plenty fast. its right at 300fps set on 70 lbs.

defintally shoot a release. its just one more varible you can control. but pratice without it. i shoot a release and can shoot without it if i forget it at home. (it happens)

shoot carbon arrows. i shoot beeman but i dont know if its any better than other arrows.

get measured by a pro.

the bow you get will likley be 50-70 lbs draw. i pratice all summer at around 60 lbs. that way i can shoot longer without getting tired. around sep 1st i crank it back to 70 lbs and pratice with that.

im a huge whisker buicket rest fan but there are alot of other quality rests on the market.

as far as hunting thats a whole nother thread. but the key points are scent control and cammo are more important with a bow as the deer are closer. im not saying its imposible to kill a deer with jeans and flannel and no scent control but its alot easier with the camo and scent control.

the hard part of bow hunting is now getting deer into range, its getting to full draw with a deer that close. one thing to remember is you dont only have to watch the deer you are shooting, but the other deer that came in with it. you cant draw till they are all looking away or there line of sight is obstructed.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    Gander Mountain on the southside of Indy will give you a free leason over the basics if you give them a call and set up an appointment with the archery.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    Three Words... Nancy's Broken Arrow

Once you get a bow, practice, practice, practice. Once you can hit a target at 10, 20, and 30 yards bring a friend and head for Nancy's Broken Arrow near Cloverdale. They have a 3-D shoot every month that is out of this world. You will have more fun that should be legally possible.

In June there should also be a big archery meet in Cloverdale that will have everything you need and everyone to ask questions of. The previously mentioned websites should have info. I also think you can go to Bowsite.com - Bowhunting Supersite

Have fun!

southern.in.guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    switzerland county
    A mentor is a good idea. Find someone who is honest in tring to help you not there buddy how owns a archery shop. As far as equipment goes that depends on how much you want to invest. If your not sure if archery is for you I wouldn't go and spend $1500 on a new setup there are plenty of good used bows out there I just sold a 3 year old bow that was completely setup for $350 and I had about $1200 in it. Thats another reason to not spend alot if your not sure archery is for you bows do not hold there value very well and archery companies come out with new and better bows every year. So starting out with a good used bow would be a good idea and have less cost up front. If you go to a archery shop and the guy just wants you to look at the top end bows and doesn't offer to show you some cheaper bows than I would tell you to go somewhere else that guy just wants your money and doesn't care if it's the right bow for you. As far as the othier things you will need this is how I set up my hunting bows. I use a peep sight this goes in the string and gives you a good place to line up with your sights every time you shoot. I also use a string loop on the string to attach my release. Sights there are many different kinds I use a one pin sight and just adjust were i hold the pin to adjust for yardage. Alot of this is determend by the speed of your bow. Faster bows don't have as much drop as slower bows and there for you might want a 3 pin sight for slower bows. Faster bows are not better they just shoot faster. An arrow rest I use a full capture dropaway rest this means the arrow sets inside the rest and can't fall off the rest. I think I read someone recomend a wisker bisquit witch does the same thing but the wisker bisquit well tear up the vanes on your arrows and slow down your arrow speed. The dropaway rest does exactly what it's called when you fire the bow the rest drops away and the arrow doesn't touch anything as its being fired witch well improve speed a accuracy. I also use a removable quiver so I can take it off when I'm hunting in a tree stand. This is how I set uo my hunting bows. I also read someone saying something about longer bows being more forgiving and this is true but alot of new bows have paralel limbs witch means the riser are the same lenght and thats were you get the forgivingness and the paralel limbs give you a shorter axle to axle length. I hope this info helps and I don't mind helping somebody get started into the sport i love. If you ever have any questions feel free to ask.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    A lot of good advice given so far. I've bowhunted for over 35 years so you can see I'm "hooked".
    I would start a local archery pro shop. Having a bow of the proper draw length for your body along with good form is of utmost importance for successful archery. A good pro shop with friendly, knowledgeable staff should get you set up in no time in your price range. You could spend a little, or a lot. Like about anything else.
    You might think about getting a used bow just to see where this sport is going with you without spending a lot of money. New bows depreciate pretty quick, Mathews and Hoyt probably keep their value the best.
    Good luck in your new adventure. If we were closer I would be glad to help you get started.

czad75

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    SBI
    As far as buying a bow, shoot as many as you can and go with what fits you best. You can get a full setup for as little as $100 used to $1500+ new.

If you're in the market for a compound I recommend a longer axle to axle (33"-37") and a minimum of 7" brace height as they are going to be more forgiving. The shorter B.H. bows are faster, but your form is critical. I've owned PSE, Hoyt and Mathews, all are good bows but can get pretty expensive. Mission archery is owned by mathews (mathews older technology) and you can pick them up quite a bit cheaper.

As for arrows, i shoot carbon and love them. I still know guys shooting aluminum but for hunting they seem to be getting phased out. I'd also go with a quality fall-away rest.

Check out Archerytalk Archery and Bowhunting News It's the ingo of bow's. ;)

Targets can range from a few $3 bales of straw, to $200-300 for a good 3D.
    I have a bag target for field points, and a Rinehart 18-1 for broadheads. Both are great.

Once you get started you'll be hooked. I was mostly a gun hunter growing up, but given the choice now, i enjoy the challenge of the bow much more.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

ArcheryTalk is an awesome forum. It has a lot of good information to get you started and if you have found a bow that you like, check of the classifieds as there are some really good deals.

Top Bottom