• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Just got my new Parker Hunter mag bow. Outdoorsman Sport shop set it up.

With my old bow I rarely ever practiced out past 20 yards since it was so heavy. I felt wobbly.

I decided to try a few 30-35 yard shots. I was wondering how many inches others are typically from the center of their target at these ranges.

At 20 yards I am usually right around the center . At 30-40 yards I can get as much as 8 inches outside or more. Just curious.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    when you get the bow tuned you should be able to hold 3 inches all the way out to 50yds. A bow is a very personal item it takes a long time to get in "rhythm" with a bow with practice you should not be able to shoot at the same spot 2 times without hitting your knock's

It takes years to get to that point but I've seen people regularly put an arrow through a wedding band at 35yds.

make sure your bow is tuned properly and make it a point to shoot every day instead of wearing yourself out a couple times a week.

Before Kids there was time to do that kind of thing and I had my bow targets setup with a roof over them so that I could just pick up my bow and shoot 24/7 and I did.

to become a good bow shot you have to break down every part of the draw, aim, hold, relax, release, and hold and for me I had to be relaxed through every part of that process. Shooting bow is a very relaxing pastime and very rewarding when you have reliable equipment.

If it sounds like I'm preaching a religion vs. shooting bow I think I am. and I had to look at it like that before I got good with a bow. Think more shou lin monk instead of Erik the Red.

but a well tuned bow and a well tuned shooter should be able to reliable hit an apple at 40 yds every time under any conditions. So learn your limitations and keep your shots inside of them and as that apple gets farther away from you then take those longer shots

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    I just got a bow last year. I will not take a shot at a deer at any distance that I cannot consistantly hit 3" groups at. So basically 1.5" from point of aim. I am sure that some on here will say that is not good enough even.

I JUST (Last Week) started feeling comfortable shooting to 35 yards.

rhino400

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Delaware County
    Here is an example of my self imposed limit. If I cannot shoot a group this tight or tighter at a certain yardage then I will not even think of shooting that far. This particular group was from 50yds. Which as of right now is my limit on deer sized game.
    image001.jpg

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    im a average bow shot at best. i really dont shoot 40 yds i have a 40 yd pin and i can shoot a 6 inch group but the thing that bothers me is a deer doesn't hold still when it hears the string so the bulseye may not be where it was when i shot.

i shoot hundreds of arrows every year and to be honest i have to shoot tons to get the accuracy most folks get right off the bat. i have a buddy how shots his bow 3 times a year. by 3 times i mean 3 arrows and can hit a teniss ball at any range between 10 and 60 yds. drives me nuts that i work so hard to be average and it just comes natural to him

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Here is an example of my self imposed limit. If I cannot shoot a group this tight or tighter at a certain yardage then I will not even think of shooting that far. This particular group was from 50yds. Which as of right now is my limit on deer sized game.
    image001.jpg

thats got to be above average. thats a great group for 50 yds congrats

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    when you get the bow tuned you should be able to hold 3 inches all the way out to 50yds. A bow is a very personal item it takes a long time to get in "rhythm" with a bow with practice you should not be able to shoot at the same spot 2 times without hitting your knock's

It takes years to get to that point but I've seen people regularly put an arrow through a wedding band at 35yds.

make sure your bow is tuned properly and make it a point to shoot every day instead of wearing yourself out a couple times a week.

Before Kids there was time to do that kind of thing and I had my bow targets setup with a roof over them so that I could just pick up my bow and shoot 24/7 and I did.

to become a good bow shot you have to break down every part of the draw, aim, hold, relax, release, and hold and for me I had to be relaxed through every part of that process. Shooting bow is a very relaxing pastime and very rewarding when you have reliable equipment.

If it sounds like I'm preaching a religion vs. shooting bow I think I am. and I had to look at it like that before I got good with a bow. Think more shou lin monk instead of Erik the Red.

but a well tuned bow and a well tuned shooter should be able to reliable hit an apple at 40 yds every time under any conditions. So learn your limitations and keep your shots inside of them and as that apple gets farther away from you then take those longer shots

I need a personal trainer to pick my shooting form apart and help me learn to pull more accuracy past 35 yards. You sound like the man for the job!:D

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg

+1, and a great post. Sounded like me before my kids. I still shoot regularly, just not like I used too. We used to even shoot out past 70-80 yards (and pretty accurately too), just for fun though, I would never shoot at a deer at that distance.

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    image001.jpg

Please don't shoot at deer with a bow from fifty yards. A fast (and noisy) bow shoots around 300 feet per second, so at 50 yards, that arrow takes a half second to get to the deer. Even if the deer doesn't hear you release the string and jump or duck, (sound travels at around 1120 ft per second) it could take a full step, or even reach with it's hind foot to scratch it's face in that half second, and instead of a good lung shot, you have a gut shot deer, a miss, or a bloody muscle wound. Then we have the public finding a deer walking around with an arrow sticking out, or a carcass with an arrow in it.

The ethics of bowhunting is to get close, and make a shot with the best percentage of a quick kill. With an arrow, that's through both lungs. Hitting the heart is just a bonus.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Hats off to you folks.. if I had to feed myself with a bow and arrow, I'd be one skinny old man........

rhino400

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Delaware County
    Please don't shoot at deer with a bow from fifty yards. A fast (and noisy) bow shoots around 300 feet per second, so at 50 yards, that arrow takes a half second to get to the deer. Even if the deer doesn't hear you release the string and jump or duck, (sound travels at around 1120 ft per second) it could take a full step, or even reach with it's hind foot to scratch it's face in that half second, and instead of a good lung shot, you have a gut shot deer, a miss, or a bloody muscle wound. Then we have the public finding a deer walking around with an arrow sticking out, or a carcass with an arrow in it.

The ethics of bowhunting is to get close, and make a shot with the best percentage of a quick kill. With an arrow, that's through both lungs. Hitting the heart is just a bonus.

Don't worry I don't ever plan on shooting at deer size game at that yardage. I try to let them get as close as possible. I just enjoy knowing I have the ability to shoot that far.

wmitchell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2009
    Franklin, In
    My target at home is a very large foam block that I pot smaller targets on using the bottom of a coke can. I shoot at each can bottom from different angles and distances out to 40yds. For me, each shot needs to be in a can and not out of the circle. When I became comfortable with a distance, that's when the ladder stand comes out of the barn and the process starts all over again.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I really don't think that it makes a big deal if you can put a group of arrows in a 3 in circle because it comes down to putting one arrow in about a 6-8" area. (Lungs) However, i do like to have grouping for consistency matters.

dzjxj9.jpg

About 2" at 10 yds. This is as precise as I care to get for this range--Deer=Dead at this distance. Best group of the day for 10 yds.

mcg2f6.jpg

This is about 4" at 20 yds. 20-25 yds is about as far as I will shoot at a deer because I like to be close because I feel that actually hunting them and getting that close is more important then shooting one of them. I reach out to about a 6-7" group at 30 yds but, only shoot that far at squirrels and targets. ( I have 4 arrows here because I started shooting at 20 yds and broke an arrow nock so that's why there are three at the 10 yd target.)

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I might have found out why I have been so off with my new bow. For some reason, My top pin works for 15,20, and 25 yards.

My old bow use to have a 10 yard pin and the second worked at 20 yards, the third at 30 yards. Same sight. Granted it was a 1990;s era bow but I was shocked that one pin would work for 10 and 25 yards. Anyone else ever seen this?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I might have found out why I have been so off with my new bow. For some reason, My top pin works for 15,20, and 25 yards.

My old bow use to have a 10 yard pin and the second worked at 20 yards, the third at 30 yards. Same sight. Granted it was a 1990;s era bow but I was shocked that one pin would work for 10 and 25 yards. Anyone else ever seen this?

i know its wierd being usto the older style bow and swithing. my father shoots a mathews and uses 1 pin out ot 30 yds he is about 2 inch high at 10 and 1 low at 30. he took his other 2 pins and stick them at the bottom and doesn't even use them

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    i know its wierd being usto the older style bow and swithing. my father shoots a mathews and uses 1 pin out ot 30 yds he is about 2 inch high at 10 and 1 low at 30. he took his other 2 pins and stick them at the bottom and doesn't even use them

I guess it could be that my new bow is well...new and most likely shoots much harder than my old bow. It is tough to adjust.

Kcustom45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Brownsburg
    NateBrokenArrow03.jpg

Need I say more?

Actually I wish I could duplicate this but in the years since I have done this the closest I have come is breaking arrow nocks.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    I guess it could be that my new bow is well...new and most likely shoots much harder than my old bow. It is tough to adjust.

The bow I bought last year was a 50-60lb bow. It. It came about 50 lbs and I could use one pin out to 30 yards as well. Once I raised the draw up my point of impact moved.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom