• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkeeton

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    I will be buying my 1st handgun next week and I was wondering what Indiana's state laws are with taking it to one place from another before you get your permit. Can I take it anywhere? Like a shooting range or friends house, those kinds of things. Any LEGAL, REAL advice would be great. Thanks!

cak387

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2010
    Kokomo
    Per the IC, you are able to take it from place of purchase to your house or place of business. You are also able to take it from your house to a gunsmith for repairs.

You are not legally allowed to transfer it from your residence/business anywhere else, unless, like mentioned, you are taking it to a gunsmith. You can not show your friends or take it to the range without a LICENSE ;)

jkeeton

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    thanks, but a lot of people are telling me you can transport it as long as its not loaded and the clip is out??? This is where I get confused lol

Last edited:

b0Rn~c0nfus3d

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    thanks, but a lot of people are telling me you can transport it as long as its not loaded and the clip is out??? This is where I get confused lol

You can transport from place that you bought it but it must go directly to the place of residence.This dont mean stop at freinds house to show it off or even stop at the range. Read the link i had posted it will better help you understand.:yesway:

cak387

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2010
    Kokomo

A lot of people THINK that is legal, when it is not. A lot of people also don't understand the IC when it comes to a situation like that, but think they can do that.

This is why it is a good thing you join a forum like this. It takes a lot of research and time to understand the IC when it comes to firearms, and a forum like this combines what everyone knows for a fact into a nice, friendly atmosphere. This is what I like about INGO. :ingo:

ralphb72

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Greens Fork, IN

They are wrong. Sorry. Do some research on here before you buy your first gun too. Lots of discussions about which is the best for this or that purpose and lots of experienced people here.

dodgetech

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    West Lafayett, IN
    Personally dont know FOR SURE but from what I heard is you can only transport it for repairs to a gunsmith and to your house from purchase which seems to be what everyone here has said also so I would go with that to be on the safe side but would look into getting a LTCH it is definatly cheaper than getting some sort of criminal charge the only down side is sometimes it takes awhile to receive mine took a couple months if I remember right

rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    I asked a lot of the same questions when I bought my first handgun and my first advice to you is to read our F.A.Q. This will answer a lot of commonly asked questions and will prevent repeat threads being posted.

That being said, you may take it to your home directly from the shop and it cannot leave your house after that unless it is going to a place of repair. I have heard of several people using that as a loop hole to take their gun to the range. (Being that most gun ranges have a repair shop attached.) I would not risk any complications with being pulled over. Just spend the $125 and get your LIFETIME License to Carry a Handgun. It's a peace of mind and it's a great thing to have!

By the way, Welcome to INGO!

smokestack

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Lafayette
    I didn't understand everything clearly either, I'm like everybody else. It's better to spend a few bucks to get a lifetime LTCH and then your covered no matter what. It doesn't take very long with the online application. This site is a great place to get started, everybody is more than willing to help.

jdewyse

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    Go the L-1 route and you will have your LTCH in a week, maybe a little longer but the vast majority who go the L-1 route receive their LTCH in 7 or less business days. It costs 10 dollars more but is saves you the 12 week wait (like my wait). Get the license to carry and you never have to sweat the small stuff. Welcome to INGO, and be sure to post some pics of your new piece when you get it!

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Straight from the "horse's mouth"--Lt. Berkey is the man in charge of Indiana's LTCH:

IC 35-47-2-2
    Excepted persons
    Sec. 2. Section 1 of this chapter does not apply to:
    (1) marshals;
    (2) sheriffs;
    (3) the commissioner of the department of correction or persons authorized by him in writing to carry firearms;
    (4) judicial officers;
    (5) law enforcement officers;
    (6) members of the armed forces of the United States or of the national guard or organized reserves while they are on duty;
    (7) regularly enrolled members of any organization duly authorized to purchase or receive such weapons from the United States or from this state who are at or are going to or from their place of assembly or target practice;
    (8) employees of the United States duly authorized to carry handguns;
    (9) employees of express companies when engaged in company business;
    (10) any person engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing, or dealing in firearms or the agent or representative of any such person having in his possession, using, or carrying a handgun in the usual or ordinary course of that business; or
    (11) any person while carrying a handgun unloaded and in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or to a place of repair or back to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or in moving from one dwelling or business to another.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

In (11), you would take the phrase “any person while carrying a handgun unloaded and in a secure wrapper” and then apply it to each of the three phrases that follows. So to interpret the final exemption, you could read “any person while carrying a handgun unloaded and in a secure wrapper in moving from one dwelling or business to another.” Now it should become clearer that statute is talking about actually changing residences or business locations as opposed to randomly moving the weapon from one residence or business to another. If it meant other than that, the statute would read, “moving the handgun from…”, which it does not. To interpret it too freely would negate the need for a permit to carry as long as the weapon was unloaded and in a secure wrapper. Why would there be a hunting and target permit, if you could transport the weapon unloaded to a range (which is a business)? The meaning is clear, you need a permit with the exception of these very limited instances.

Lt. Jerry A. Berkey
    Indiana State Police
    Records Division, Rm 302
    100 N. Senate Avenue--IGCN
    Indianapolis, IN 46204
    317-232-8263
    MW2498

Translation:
    There are precisely three specific instances for non-exempt residents in which the LTCH is not required:
    1. Transporting a handgun from the dealer to your dwelling or fixed place of business, but not back and forth among those.
    2. To a "place of repair" and back, again.
    3. To a new "dwelling" or fixed place of business. There is some discussion on what constitutes a "dwelling," but I am confident the ISP interprets dwelling to mean domicile.
    If you have specific questions, Lt. Berkey is the person with the correct, specific answer.

Top Bottom