• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    I ordered one of these : Monolithic Water Filter

I'm waiting for it to arrive amd I'm wondering what types of tests I can perform to see if it's worthwhile in a SHTF scenario?

I'm planning on doing an informal write up but I'm looking to answer questions in my review.

What should I include ?

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Watersafe Drinking Water Test Kit: Compare Prices, View Price History and Read Reviews at Nextag
    i'm sure there are several different ways to make sure the water you plan on consuming is safe for you and the family. you can try a trial run and check it as you go.
    here is a link I found that may help you with different preping ways for the H2O
    Water Treatment Methods - Travelers' Health - CDC

and is that a filter in the center of the open bucket??

I cehced out the first link you provided. Looks like that one only tests for 2 pesticides in the water.

I'm thinking, I would like to put toilet water in the bucket, run it through the filter.. and test it.. LMFAO

Unless someone has a better idea.. I'm looking for some type of control sample (like out of my swimming pool that looks 'yucky' because it's winter time) and some type of test that will tell me if the filtered water is safe for consumption.

Or a much less scientific method :D

ETA: .. Once I put some 'not so quality' water through the filter, and test the filtered water (with a sample of the 'before' water for comparison) how can I clean the filter for late use so it's not all 'nasty-fied' by the test? Or should I get a new filter to put away after the test is completed?

Looks like Mishawaka will test drinking water samples too. I sent an email to the Asst. Manager asking if they were willing to test the 'before' and after samples and provide me with a report so I can see what this filter does, and does not filter.

I'll update w/ any reply that I receive.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    May I asked what you paid for it, and how many gallons it filters.

Following are the specs for the filter. I do not know how many gallons it will filter. I will email them and ask.

Link to specs: Monolithic Marketplace — Water Filter Specifications

link to the 2 different filters they offer for the buckets (your buckets, or theirs): Monolithic Marketplace — Just Water, Filters

Link to their water filtration products: Monolithic Marketplace — The Just Water, Bucket Water Filtration System

I paid approx $60 w/ shipping. Extra filters (the non-arsenic ones) are about $24 each plus shipping for refills.

Looks like once I open/use the first filter, it's only going to be good for about 6-8 months.

Any other questions? (again, I'll update once I receive it. They sent me an email right away that they were waiting on a shipment of buckets. I asked them this week when to expect shipment, and they were VERY prompt replying. We're expecting it to ship out by wednesday and they promised an email once it ships. So far, their email reponse if fantastic.)

Code:
    Product is manufactured to meet:

National Sanitation Foundation (NSF) Standard 42
    National Sanitation Foundation (NSF) Standard 53
    iso 9002 Quality Standard
    usa ael Laboratories
    usa Analytical Food Laboratories
    usa Johns Hopkins University
    British 5750 Quality Standard
    England’s Water Research council (WRc) Performance Standards

The filtration efficiency is 0.2 micron

Removal capabilities as follows:

>99% Arsenic 5 and 99% Arsenic 3 (special order)
    >99% Hydrogen Sulfide (H2S)
    >95% Chlorine and Chloramines
    >99% Taste
    >99% Odor
    >98% Aluminum
    >96% Iron
    >98% Lead
    >90% Pesticides
    >85% Herbicides
    >85% Insecticides
    >90% Rodenticides
    >85% Phenols
    >85% mtbe
    >85% Perchlorate
    >80% Trihalomethanes
    >95% Poly Aromatic Hydrocarbons
    >99.999% of particles larger than 0.5 micron (Staffordshire University Labs) (includes Anthrax)
    >99.7% of particles larger than 0.3 micron (Staffordshire University Labs)
    >98% of particles larger than 0.2 micron (Staffordshire University Labs)
    >100% Giardia Lamblia
    >100% Cyclospora
    >100% removal of live Cryptosporidium (WRc Standard) 
    >100% removal of Cryptosporidium (NSF Standard 53 – A.C. fine dust – 4 log challenge)
    >100% removal of E. Coli, Vibrio Cholerae (Johns Hopkins University)
    >99.999% removal of Salmonella Typhil, Shigella Dysenteria, Kiebsiella Terrigena (Hyder Labs)

Product is silver impregnated

and will not permit bacteria growth-through (mitosis)
    provides a hostile environment for all microbiological organisms and will not support their growth
    Ceramic elements may be cleaned 100 or more times with a soft brush or damp cloth.

Performance Features:

Easy installation
    Good flow rate / 14 to 17 gallons a day (gravity flow) 
    Up to 60-70 gallons per day (pressure flow)
    Filter will accept water from floods, lake, rain, well, tap, river or stream
    Semi/Annual filter replacement Cleansable with clean damp cloth
    Shelf life is extended by shaking filter every 3-4 months to loosen media inside and prevent packing
    Once in use, filter will last 6-8 months
    just water, 669 Scenic Ranch Circle, Fairview tx 972-886-0263 e-mail: [email]justwater4u@yahoo.com[/email]

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    Following are the specs for the filter. I do not know how many gallons it will filter. I will email them and ask.

Link to specs: Monolithic Marketplace — Water Filter Specifications

link to the 2 different filters they offer for the buckets (your buckets, or theirs): Monolithic Marketplace — Just Water, Filters

Link to their water filtration products: Monolithic Marketplace — The Just Water, Bucket Water Filtration System

I paid approx $60 w/ shipping. Extra filters (the non-arsenic ones) are about $24 each plus shipping for refills.

Looks like once I open/use the first filter, it's only going to be good for about 6-8 months.

Any other questions? (again, I'll update once I receive it. They sent me an email right away that they were waiting on a shipment of buckets. I asked them this week when to expect shipment, and they were VERY prompt replying. We're expecting it to ship out by wednesday and they promised an email once it ships. So far, their email reponse if fantastic.)

Code:
    Product is manufactured to meet:

National Sanitation Foundation (NSF) Standard 42
    National Sanitation Foundation (NSF) Standard 53
    iso 9002 Quality Standard
    usa ael Laboratories
    usa Analytical Food Laboratories
    usa Johns Hopkins University
    British 5750 Quality Standard
    England’s Water Research council (WRc) Performance Standards

The filtration efficiency is 0.2 micron

Removal capabilities as follows:

>99% Arsenic 5 and 99% Arsenic 3 (special order)
    >99% Hydrogen Sulfide (H2S)
    >95% Chlorine and Chloramines
    >99% Taste
    >99% Odor
    >98% Aluminum
    >96% Iron
    >98% Lead
    >90% Pesticides
    >85% Herbicides
    >85% Insecticides
    >90% Rodenticides
    >85% Phenols
    >85% mtbe
    >85% Perchlorate
    >80% Trihalomethanes
    >95% Poly Aromatic Hydrocarbons
    >99.999% of particles larger than 0.5 micron (Staffordshire University Labs) (includes Anthrax)
    >99.7% of particles larger than 0.3 micron (Staffordshire University Labs)
    >98% of particles larger than 0.2 micron (Staffordshire University Labs)
    >100% Giardia Lamblia
    >100% Cyclospora
    >100% removal of live Cryptosporidium (WRc Standard) 
    >100% removal of Cryptosporidium (NSF Standard 53 – A.C. fine dust – 4 log challenge)
    >100% removal of E. Coli, Vibrio Cholerae (Johns Hopkins University)
    >99.999% removal of Salmonella Typhil, Shigella Dysenteria, Kiebsiella Terrigena (Hyder Labs)

Product is silver impregnated

and will not permit bacteria growth-through (mitosis)
    provides a hostile environment for all microbiological organisms and will not support their growth
    Ceramic elements may be cleaned 100 or more times with a soft brush or damp cloth.

Performance Features:

Easy installation
    Good flow rate / 14 to 17 gallons a day (gravity flow) 
    Up to 60-70 gallons per day (pressure flow)
    Filter will accept water from floods, lake, rain, well, tap, river or stream
    Semi/Annual filter replacement Cleansable with clean damp cloth
    Shelf life is extended by shaking filter every 3-4 months to loosen media inside and prevent packing
    Once in use, filter will last 6-8 months
    just water, 669 Scenic Ranch Circle, Fairview tx 972-886-0263 e-mail: [email]justwater4u@yahoo.com[/email]

New 1 million gallon water filter!

This small, lightweight filter kit can provide up to 170 gallons of clean water per day for over 16 years. This filter has a Manufacturer's 1 million gallon guarantee. That is over 18,000 55 gallon water barrels, and 1 1/2 Olympic size swimming pools. This truly is a filter for life. Assembly kit includes hole cutter, Sawyer Point ZeroTWO™ 0.02 Micron Absolute Inline Water Purifier, adapter, hose, filter cleaner, filter hanger, and detailed instruction book. Bucket not included. The Sawyer Point ZeroTWO™ Viral Water Purifier offers the same level of protection against bacteria and protozoa, and is the first portable filtration device to remove viruses mechanically. It does so at a 0.02 Micron Absolute 5.5 log (99.9997%) removal rate, the highest level of filtration.
    Only $139.99

Here's a link to a you tube about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=sjIVoaIdsss

Remember become my customer to receive discounts on everything you order.

Tresia Thompson - Online Store

Last edited:

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Unless someone has a better idea.. I'm looking for some type of control sample (like out of my swimming pool that looks 'yucky' because it's winter time) and some type of test that will tell me if the filtered water is safe for consumption.

Or a much less scientific method :D

ETA: .. Once I put some 'not so quality' water through the filter, and test the filtered water (with a sample of the 'before' water for comparison) how can I clean the filter for late use so it's not all 'nasty-fied' by the test? Or should I get a new filter to put away after the test is completed?

If you have to toss the filter because of the test then the filter isn't good enough for you. Knock the crud out of it and keep going.

I would be interested in seeing what happens with water from a retention pond rather than a swimming pool. The pool had good water before you closed it for the winter. The retention pond will have who knows what draining into it.

Either way I am patiently waiting for you to get the buckets and set everything up. I have been on the fence about this system. Cheap, easy set-up. If it works out for your tests I will grab one for my shelves and let it sit until needed.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    If you have to toss the filter because of the test then the filter isn't good enough for you. Knock the crud out of it and keep going.

Either way I am patiently waiting for you to get the buckets and set everything up. I have been on the fence about this system. Cheap, easy set-up. If it works out for your tests I will grab one for my shelves and let it sit until needed.

What I've read, is after they're opened, they have a 6 month shelf life (or something to that effect).. Maybe I'll just use it to fill and refill water bottles from tap water, and at least get my money's worth out of it. LOL

:popcorn:
    Interested in seeing the test results posted as well.

Still waiting on shipping. I got the email w/ tracking number last week. Left Dallas, TX sort facility on Sat. Hopefully I'll see it this week.

Still need to find a lab to do the testing for me. Also, gotta find a retention pond that I can grab some water from.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    What I've read, is after they're opened, they have a 6 month shelf life (or something to that effect).. Maybe I'll just use it to fill and refill water bottles from tap water, and at least get my money's worth out of it. LOL

Yes and No

From there website:
    Water Filtration System Assembly | Monolithic

Once you start using the filter, the activated carbon is only good for 6 to 8 months. The anti-bacterial ceramic wall will work indefinitely. The media inside (such as the activated carbon) will pack over time. The filter needs to be shaken to unpack the media. The shelf life of the unit itself is indefinite. The only question in the carbon. Current figures say the unused carbon should have a shelf life between at least 2 or 3 years, if not much more. The sock has an indefinite shelf life. Replacement during use will depend on filthiness of the water source.

It's the carbon portion of the filter that will eventually be no good.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Update:

I came home from the local 2A patriots meeting tonight and my buckets are here :rockwoot:

My mission tomorrow and thursday is to call a couple labs and see how much (and what the procedure is) to have some 'before' and 'after' water tested.

I'll post up a full review this weekend. Maybe on Sunday. I have to work Saturday, then I'm heading to Logansport to get another gun :D

I did NOT put it together yet.. Gonna save that for the video review this weekend.

Stay tuned.. This system looks real nice. Buckets are high quality. The lids have rubber seals on them too.

Boba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    The filters themselves are great high quality filters. They will filter as advertised. You'll simply need to ensure your buckets seal properly and have no leaks from the top chamber to the bottom. A low tech test common to these types of filters is to put a tablespoon of food coloring in the top chamber and monitor if any color comes through to the bottom. Good luck!

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    A low tech test common to these types of filters is to put a tablespoon of food coloring in the top chamber and monitor if any color comes through to the bottom. Good luck!

Good Tip!!!

Do you know what occurs after the say 8 months after which the active carbon is no good.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    I do not think there is a better water filter than Sawyer...my son used these on a mission trip to Haiti and they worked great. Ask me how to get one for free or half off.

This small, lightweight filter kit can provide up to 170 gallons of clean water per day for over 16 years. This filter has a Manufacturer's 1 million gallon guarantee. That is over 18,000 55 gallon water barrels, and 1 1/2 Olympic size swimming pools. This truly is a filter for life. Assembly kit includes hole cutter, Sawyer Point ZeroTWO™ 0.02 Micron Absolute Inline Water Purifier, adapter, hose, filter cleaner, filter hanger, and detailed instruction book. Bucket not included. The Sawyer Point ZeroTWO™ Viral Water Purifier offers the same level of protection against bacteria and protozoa, and is the first portable filtration device to remove viruses mechanically. It does so at a 0.02 Micron Absolute 5.5 log (99.9997%) removal rate, the highest level of filtration available today.

You don't have to buy or change the filters, you back wash them.

How long does the filter/purifier last?

Since the filters and purifiers can continuously be backwashed and re-used they have an extremely long life. The filter/purifier membrane may never need to be replaced, however when the flow rate slows or the filter clogs, simply backwash the unit with the provided backwashing device to clear out the pores.

The frequency of cleaning depends on how dirty the water is. With relatively clear water, backwashing may only be necessary every 1,000 gallons whereas with extremely turbid or muddy water, backwashing may be required every 10 gallons. Nevertheless, backwashing is an extremely simple process and takes only a minute.

We do not recommend backwashing with dirty water. If this happens, immediately run at least one quart of water through the filter and dispose before filtering water for consumption.

Yes, though backwashing will be required more frequently. It will not alter the effectiveness of the filter to remove harmful pathogens.

The flow rates of the filters and purifiers are determined by a combination of four variables:
    • Head pressure (The distance from the top of the water to the filter)
    • Altitude (The higher the altitude, the slower the flow rate)
    • How clean the filter is
    • The filter itself (there are slight variations between filters)
    The PointONE Filter with a 1 foot hose (Model SP180) attached to a standard five gallon bucket at sea level is capable of filtering up to 295 gallons (1117 liters) of water per day. The PointZERO TWO Purifier with a 3 foot hose (Model SP190) attached to a standard 5 gallon bucket at sea level is capable of purifying up to 87 gallons (327 liters) of water per day. If you increase the head pressure by either lengthening the hose, attaching the filter to a larger container like a 55 gallon drum, or constantly keep the bucket full so the top of the water is as high as possible, this will increase the flow rate.
    To estimate the flow rate of your filter based on the altitude where you will be filtering water and the inches (or centimeters) of head pressure:

Yes, and we have three recommendations for pre-filtration. One, pour the dirty water through a t-shirt or cloth before it goes into the filtration bucket. Two, cut the hole in the side of the bucket at least 1.5 inches from the bottom of the bucket to allow sediment to settle and not go down the hose. Three, allow the dirty water to settle before putting it in the filtration bucket.

Our filters and purifiers have been tested by independent and qualified research laboratories according to EPA standards for water filter and purifiers.

The pointONE Filter™ has a 0.1 micron absolute pore size and therefore will remove all bacteria and protozoa such as Giardia, Cryptosporidium, Cholera and Typhoid. The PointZERO TWO Purifier™ has a 0.02 micron absolute pore size and therefore will remove all viruses like Hepatitis A in addition to bacteria and protozoa.

To play it safe you can always take the pointZERO TWO purifier, but people in their natural environments typically only need bacterial protection because they build up immunity overtime to the viruses they have been exposed to.

No.

No.

No. You can cut the hole with the included hole cutter by hand.

You can attach the filter to any size container you can drill a hole in. We recommend attaching the filter to a clean container that is either food grade or was previously used to transport food items. Do not attach the filter to a bucket that was used to transport chemicals. The filter will also fit into most water crocks by removing the existing valve and replacing it with the fittings supplied with the filter.
    For more output hook multiple filters up to a large cistern or rainwater catchment system. You will want to have the 3 foot hose option so you can raise the filter above the water level to shut off the flow.

Many other filters list nominal or average pore sizes which leave the possibility of harmful pathogens to pass through. By claiming absolute microns there are no variances in pore size on our filter membranes. At 0.1 and 0.02 micron absolute these are true barrier filters so there is no questionable time period whether the water is safe to drink.

Indiana Camper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Westfield
    Plus 1 on Sawyer. I do not have the. 02 but I have 2 of the all in one kits which include the point one filter, bucket kit, and a couple of bags to use as the squeeze filter. I think I paid about $70 a piece for these. I use one in the squeeze formation for backpacking. The other one is in my wife's bob in her car. These are great filters...especially for the price. Throw in a bag of pool shock and for less than $100 there's more safe water than you could drink in a lifetime.

Top Bottom