• Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    I guess I need to clarify.

I know schools have RSOs. But what they hell are they doing pulling people over while school is out, and seemingly not close to a school? I'd only expect a RSO to pull somebody over for excessive speed in a school zone.

I'd ask the same question if I saw a uniformed IMPD officer doing a traffic stop in Brownsburg.
    The RSO I talked about earlier was a Senior PD officer. When not at the school he had regular duties. His car had School Resource Officer on the side. Just using him as a resource when he wasn't at the school.

Don

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Saw something interesting today. Was at 21st and Post today, and saw two police SUVs had a yout pulled over in a parking lot. The markings looked weird. Definitely not IMPD.

When I got closer it was Warren Township Police. :scratch: The townships have police now?

A quick google and its School resource officers. (school wasnt mentioned on the cars) Whats up with that? SRO's now helping IMPD with patrols while school is out for the summer? Just seemed odd to me.
    Just to jump in, yes townships are allowed to have their own police force. To the best of my admittedly limited knowledge the only ones that do are in Marion Co. There is a thread here about the Center township constable and her alleged misdeeds.

As BBI said most LE have jurisdiction anywhere in the state, limited only by department rules.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Saw something interesting today. Was at 21st and Post today, and saw two police SUVs had a yout pulled over in a parking lot. The markings looked weird. Definitely not IMPD.

When I got closer it was Warren Township Police. :scratch: The townships have police now?

A quick google and its School resource officers. (school wasnt mentioned on the cars) Whats up with that? SRO's now helping IMPD with patrols while school is out for the summer? Just seemed odd to me.
    I'm surprised you were at 21/Post. Its scary over there.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Warren Township has had school police since I went to Warren Central in 1991. Lately, they have become more visible and are VERY active in school zone speeding. What you are seeing is likely a traffic stop from speeding through the Lakeside Elementary School Zone. They do not patrol anything but Township property nor do they take runs or assist us. They are Tier 2 LEO in Indiana, but they might have a few Tier 1 officers from previous departments.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Warren Township has had school police since I went to Warren Central in 1991. Lately, they have become more visible and are VERY active in school zone speeding. What you are seeing is likely a traffic stop from speeding through the Lakeside Elementary School Zone. They do not patrol anything but Township property nor do they take runs or assist us. They are Tier 2 LEO in Indiana, but they might have a few Tier 1 officers from previous departments.
    What are Tiers? How many are there?

Top Bottom