• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    There are a lot of good ideas here!! I am not that up to date on the hiking gear so I asked as I knew a lot of you were. The GI boots have worked for thousands of troops marching but I really don't know how big of a fan the guys are of them. It would seem that break in would be a HUGE need for them and the Converse also look like a good choice for me. With a busted ankle I want something with higher support where others may prefer a lower top or tennis shoe style.

I used to wear them for a while and loved the old WWII style jump boots but they are all leather and if you get water in them you pretty much have to take the boots off to get it out....

The old Vietnam stye ones are cheap and nice but take water with easy but dry out pretty easy as you walk. I think you can get those for like $20 now.

I like the more modern stuff FAR better though..... like the high techs or converse.... If you want some cheap boot's to put in a stash or in the trunk then my all mean the Vietnam style stuff but for comfort and regular use go with the modern stuff.

With your ankle though the Vietnam stuff will not be good because it offers no support. I have really flat feet and one is worse then the other and if I don't have ankle support or arthotics I don't do all that well once the shoes or boots break down.... I can't even walk in the Vietnam boots with no orthotics but everything esle I love.

The converse stuff and all provide plenty of ankle support.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I used to wear them for a while and loved the old WWII style jump boots but they are all leather and if you get water in them you pretty much have to take the boots off to get it out....

The old Vietnam stye ones are cheap and nice but take water with easy but dry out pretty easy as you walk. I think you can get those for like $20 now.

I like the more modern stuff FAR better though..... like the high techs or converse.... If you want some cheap boot's to put in a stash or in the trunk then my all mean the Vietnam style stuff but for comfort and regular use go with the modern stuff.

With your ankle though the Vietnam stuff will not be good because it offers no support. I have really flat feet and one is worse then the other and if I don't have ankle support or arthotics I don't do all that well once the shoes or boots break down.... I can't even walk in the Vietnam boots with no orthotics but everything esle I love.

The converse stuff and all provide plenty of ankle support.

I have flat feet to:xmad: It really sucks and that is another reason I was cautious of the regular GI boots. The price on jungle boots can't be beat and I may pick up a pair for my GF just in case she ever needs them. Those converse really look nice as for what I am wanting as do some of the others that have been mentioned that are traditional hikers.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have flat feet to:xmad: It really sucks and that is another reason I was cautious of the regular GI boots. The price on jungle boots can't be beat and I may pick up a pair for my GF just in case she ever needs them. Those converse really look nice as for what I am wanting as do some of the others that have been mentioned that are traditional hikers.

I had to have orthotics made for mine...... when I saw flat I mean the one is on the extreme side.....

My feet roll really REALLY bad in the old jungle boots but I may try them with the orthotics and have them as a cheap last resort boot.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    Tyler, thanks for the tip on those last boots you referenced. Those have some very nice features. Now I have to go look at those too.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    There are a lot of good ideas here!! I am not that up to date on the hiking gear so I asked as I knew a lot of you were. The GI boots have worked for thousands of troops marching but I really don't know how big of a fan the guys are of them. It would seem that break in would be a HUGE need for them and the Converse also look like a good choice for me. With a busted ankle I want something with higher support where others may prefer a lower top or tennis shoe style.

in the converse they make an 8" model too if you need more.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East

you can get the converse in wide. i wear a wide, and sometimes its hard for me to find shoes in a 13 wide. i went to gander mountain the other day with money to burn on a new pair of durable shoes and all of the merrils and similar didnt have wides. :xmad: you would think for $120 + shoes they would accomidate alittle.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    you can get the converse in wide. i wear a wide, and sometimes its hard for me to find shoes in a 13 wide. i went to gander mountain the other day with money to burn on a new pair of durable shoes and all of the merrils and similar didnt have wides. :xmad: you would think for $120 + shoes they would accomidate alittle.

those TR khybers come in wides.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield

Try finding a 14 wide:laugh::noway:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I have had real good performance with VASQUE hiking boots.

I go for the medium weight for spring/fall and the heavy for winter duty, Back when DICKS was galyans they had them in stock. Galyans rocked DICKS does not they just carry the crap stuff.

Vasque's were expensive but one pair of med/heavy hikers lasted for almost 10 years of Hiking/hunting and fishing. Not an everyday boot but after the first 3 years of hunting season they became weekend wear boots, Then after 3 more years became everyday boots in the colder times, then they became the boots that my wife always asked when are you going to throw those boots out. I finally didand it was like loosing a good friend or pet/

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    My favorite boots have been the Matterhorn series, made by Cave. I used steel-toed and composite-toed models for US&R work and the plain-toed models for military wear until we changed to the lightweight tan boots. The Matterhorns are Gore-tex or Kevlar lined and lightly insulated and were the first boots I could wear in the winter that wouldn't freeze my feet in the cold (my feet would sweat, but never freeze even through hours of sitting). The 10" ones I prefer are a bit heavier than most other boots, but they've held up well over the past 10 years and I still keep them for SHTF. I also have three types of Intermediate Flyer's boots, which are Gore-tex lined and uninsulated. They don't provide as much support as the Matterhorns but are lighter and cooler in the summer. Since I'm trying to transition from "military wear", I picked up a pair of hunting boots on closeout at Galyans for $13 bucks, and I keep those in my BOG along with my pack and other stuff.

Fastmover

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Stepford...aka Fishers, IN
    Don't neglect good wool hiking socks. Great socks can make even the most average boot a good boot.
    We're not talking tube socks or hanes stuff you get at Wallyworld, but quality stuff.
    Just food for thought.

Top Bottom