• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I have been thinking a lot more about what type of shoes or boots a person might want to keep in good shape for a long term scenario. A lot of people have different health issues or comfort issues so different choices are a must. On most days I wear my Nike Air Max but I realize that I need to keep a pair of boots in the trunk for a get home type situation. I really don't want to have to walk through a creek or through weeds and rocks in just tennis shoes if I can avoid it. Also, I know I have a busted ankle so something with more support would be a good choice as well as healthy people who may want something more stable.

Has anyone gave much thought to what they will want to have in their trunk or in the closet at home instead of a pair of sandals(if thats your thing) or only tennis shoes for you and the family? Also, what are some types of boots or hiking shoes for long term usage have people bought or looked at? Obviously, GI issue boots are going to be a common and inexpensive choice but they aren't for me if I can have a better option.

All info is appreciated!

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    well it all depends on what you train/prepare for, I have been known to go through the woods hiking and bushwacking in just sandals. as far as boots? I don't care what any knucklehead tells you get LOWA boots! there construction and comfort out of the box is incomparable. there is a reason hardcore outdoorsmen, mountaineers, and high speed low drag guys use them and swear by them not at them.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    I have been thinking a lot more about what type of shoes or boots a person might want to keep in good shape for a long term scenario. A lot of people have different health issues or comfort issues so different choices are a must. On most days I wear my Nike Air Max but I realize that I need to keep a pair of boots in the trunk for a get home type situation. I really don't want to have to walk through a creek or through weeds and rocks in just tennis shoes if I can avoid it. Also, I know I have a busted ankle so something with more support would be a good choice as well as healthy people who may want something more stable.

Has anyone gave much thought to what they will want to have in their trunk or in the closet at home instead of a pair of sandals(if thats your thing) or only tennis shoes for you and the family? Also, what are some types of boots or hiking shoes for long term usage have people bought or looked at? Obviously, GI issue boots are going to be a common and inexpensive choice but they aren't for me if I can have a better option.

All info is appreciated!

At a minimum, make sure you take them out of the box and wear them once or twice before you try to do a force march in them, especially if you get GI boots. You'll make it about 2 miles and then you won't have to worry about the broken ankle. Blisters the size of Rhode Island will prevent further forward momentum.

I have a pair of Keen closed toe sandals that I wear. Good in all conditions except cold. They breathe well, have climbing soles, and you can walk through water and they'll dry out.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

All info is appreciated!

I have hiked many, many miles in sandals, including over some rough terrain. Not my first choice, but it's good to be able to. I can also walk barefoot over reasonable surfaces.

Most people though don't have feet that tough and I don't recommend it without serious training beforehand. I usually have 4-5 pairs of boots on hand: 2-3 cheaper pairs of boots for destroying, and 2-3 pairs of good quality hiking boots for long range hiking. There's always a pair of boots in the car, even though I wear sandals for all but 3-4 months of the year. Walking shoes or boots get worn the other time of the year. I have a mix of footwear that should TEOTWAWKI happen and I cannot buy boots anymore, I'm good for several years.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I am not a sandal guy so I know that I won't have them but tennis shoes may not be the best choice so I wanted some other options. Caterpillar work boots used to be my favorites to bang around but I really don't see myself wanting to wear them on a hike or for several miles so a hiking alternative is best.

LOWA boots??? I have never heard of them but I will check them out.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Altama EXOSpeed II's are my current favorite pair of boots.

They are very lightweight & comfortable, I would venture a guess that they are about half of the weight that my USGI boots are, they've held up pretty good under all of the abuse that I've put them through too, much better than I expected when I first took them out of the box.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    For something light and durable, if you're not looking for a true boot or tactical, check out Merrell. I've got a pait of Merrell Chameleon 3 Stretch that replace my original chameleons (that lasted over 2 years, UNHEARD of for me as daily wear shoes).
    My originals I took out of the box and wore for 40 hours of car parking duty right off the bat, with a bad back, never a problem, light, comfy, dry pretty quick, and I'm now a fan of elastic laces, no tight spots, easy to adjust.

Men's Merrell Chameleon3 Stretch Hiking Boots - Merrell.com

philo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Peoples Republic of Bloomington
    I've got perrenially hot and sweaty feet, so I hate any type of lined or padded boots.

For summer (actually 6-9 months of warm to hot weather) its either low top Merrill water shoes or vietnam type jungle boots. Both are very light weight and confortable. They air out well, and they will drain and dry fairly quick after walking in water. The jungle boots feel almost like slippers, but give great ankle support. Also I don't knock sandles when they're appropriate.

Cold weather wear is still unlined and unpadded with a good quality sock. I use either Georgia Boot logger boots, or Hathorn boots from White's. Depends what you've got to spend - White's can custom make your boots as well. White's Boots, Hunting Boots, Pac Boots, Work Boots, Outdoor Clothing

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Steel toe inserts also makes boots heavier, adding to a persons fatigue factor.

I definitely wouldn't want to hike or march any sort of distances while wearing "industrial" boots, or even slog short distances through mud.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Steel toe inserts also makes boots heavier, adding to a persons fatigue factor.

I definitely wouldn't want to hike or march any sort of distances while wearing "industrial" boots, or even slog short distances through mud.

yes, but they protect your toes from getting crushed, stomped, stubbed, etc. I have worn steel toe or safety toe boots every day for years now and can walk in them for miles with no problems. Now I wouldn't recommend them for cold weather, they do make your feet colder. But otherwise they are great if you get the right ones. My current ones are some Wolverines, I also have a pair of the current issue combat boots, and my insulated hunting boots. I am thinking about buying another pair of boots here somewhere in the future though. Been thinking about trying out some of the Timberland's. I generally wear boots 90% of the time. Only times I don't is when I'm wearing shorts to work which then I wear tennis shoes, or when I have to dress up.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Watch Mythbusters?:popcorn:

Yes they save your feet from the small stuff.....

I don't like them... make me to confident and I don't like that.... I perfer the hardend toes that are not metal.

I live in the boonies, no cable or satellite. I think I may of saw that episode when at a friends though. It may not save you from some things. But they still provide more protection from everyday things. Esp out here on the farm or in a automotive shop. I don't know how many times a wagon tongue has been dropped on my foot. And the steel toe has saved it. Or at the shop we were pushing a F550 cab and chassis, and I went to move to the side as we got it in and one of the tires ran over my foot. But with the steel toe, I hardly felt it. You know in either of those situations your feet would be in for a hurting without some sort of protective toe.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I live in the boonies, no cable or satellite. I think I may of saw that episode when at a friends though. It may not save you from some things. But they still provide more protection from everyday things. Esp out here on the farm or in a automotive shop. I don't know how many times a wagon tongue has been dropped on my foot. And the steel toe has saved it. Or at the shop we were pushing a F550 cab and chassis, and I went to move to the side as we got it in and one of the tires ran over my foot. But with the steel toe, I hardly felt it. You know in either of those situations your feet would be in for a hurting without some sort of protective toe.

Agreed.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    There are a lot of good ideas here!! I am not that up to date on the hiking gear so I asked as I knew a lot of you were. The GI boots have worked for thousands of troops marching but I really don't know how big of a fan the guys are of them. It would seem that break in would be a HUGE need for them and the Converse also look like a good choice for me. With a busted ankle I want something with higher support where others may prefer a lower top or tennis shoe style.

Top Bottom