• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I am trying to add to my library and am wanting some good information books. What I am looking for are non-fiction books that include anything of usefulness for medical, foods, security, preparation, and anything else that could be beneficial for a crisis. I personally just want to add to my knowledge base and library regardless of an event ever occuring or not.

Thanks!

voodoo304

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    SW Indy
    This might sound a little silly, but whenever I go on long hikes or am in the woods for extended periods I always carry my Boy Scout Handbook. Whether its first aid, identifying plants or animal tracks it has it all. It's been with me since the early 90's and I still read and reference it quite a bit. Good luck in your search.

caneman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Lagrange County
    Nothing wrong with BSA Handbook.

You might try to find "The Ships Medicine Chest" preferably a pre- mid fifties esition. That's when the information started a shift toward rescue by helicopter instead of treating ills or injuries. Pretty big volume though and meant for cabin or boat - not a backpack.

The Red Cross has a couple of publications but they mainly say stabilize and get to a hospital. Good info in Special Forces, Army handbooks etc.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    To clear up my request...I am wanting books for anything relevant not just backpacking. I do appreciate the suggestions so far and the boy scouts book is something I need to check out for sure.

sbsg2005

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    The Complete Guide to Organic Gardening, Container Gardening for Dummies, factory service manuals for all you vehicals, tech manual for your genny if ya got one, medical books,

JB75

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    fort wayne
    Piragis northwoods company has a good selection of books on survival, feild manuals, camping, and true life stories. I just got an email free shipping fron 11/29/11 thru 12/24/11 promo code freex. I have got a few books from there the last being survival wisdom and know-how wich is a great book for $19.99www.piragis.com

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    A couple decent books to get you started.
    Back to Basics ISBN 1-60239-747-3
    Homesteading ISBN 1-60239-233-1

Other topics I would cover.

Medical(nurse,surgical,diagnosis,alternative medicine)

Live stock Care,maintenance,delivery,and basic medical needs to fit your stock(or likely stock).

Tanning and leather work

Gardening and farming(try organic farming books,most modern farming will be greatly reduced shtf)

Electrical.May want to include a few books on alternate energy applications and how to set up such systems.

Mechanical.Books covering how to repair mechanical items you depend on.

Construction. Footers,framing,roofing,may want to toss in a simple type of cabin construction.

Sewing.

Canning(Ball blue book)

I have a few older books of formulas and processes to make everything from paint to soap.

Hope that helps.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I never really thought about the tanning but that is a great idea! The medical books are priority along with the gardening and food production.

caneman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Lagrange County
    Here's a site where you can learn to make and do things "The Old Way" like they did before power tools or nearby hardware stores.

K:\Antique Farming\Handy Farm Devices - Cobleigh - chapter 1.mht

I put it on a thumb dcard in case the internet ever goes down but what I really need is access to a laser printer to run a good durable black and white hard copy. I think there are a dozen chapters.

Top Bottom