• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I took the Rem 700 out for a spin today. I used loads with new Winchester .223 brass and they chambered nice and smooth. I also have some loads that were loaded using LC .223 brass. These chambered somewhat harder when dropping the bolt handle down. I later discovered that the rim must be thicker on these cases as the bolt was shaving brass around the case head when turning the bolt down to lock it in.

My question, is this normal with LC brass and should i seise to use these and only use commercial brass with this rifle ?

hardhit

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2012
    NE Allen County
    yup, that's the problem with LC. it is overall heavier and has a different wallthickness. Also the casemouth is thicker. You can turn that down easily. Most of them have a crimped primer and you need to swag that crimp before putting a new primer in. I use the RCBS swagger. It is physical labor but worth it, since the LC brass seems to last a lot longer.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Oh believe me, I had bloodied fingers to prove how many of these LC's I removed the military crimps out of. It's just that i have always fired these casings out of my AR-15 and never a bolt rifle. I pretty much assumed the obvious about the LC case heads but wanted some confirmation about it. I guess I'll relegate the LC brass to the AR only.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Remington 700 often have a tiny raised burr around the ejector on the bolt face. Can usually be seen with a 10x magnifier. Remove the ejector an carefully stone just the raised area around the ejector. My PSS .308 had a dandy on it. Caution; very strong spring there. Need three hands to get it back in. I put a case in the bolt face and use a slave pin.

Top Bottom