• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    reading the thread title deer rifle made me start craving a new build and i am looking for advice.... i like the rifles in the pics below... i want one... in a 458 socom or other similar caliber... must be bolt action, and would like to be able to toss one of the Hogue overmold stocks on it... any input on how i should accomplish this? maybe a savage action with a new bolt face and barrel? then again i dont know if hogue makes an overmold stock for savages.

the following was edited to add the updates of where i am with this build.

so everything is ordered except the barrel..... i have the action... i ordered a stockade gunstocks
    woodchuck_large.jpg

with that will come a tactical bolt handle... bolt handle lift kit... upgraded precision ground recoil lug.... metal trigger guard.... the stock will come unfinished and i will have to epoxy mold marks and sand it down and refinish it (duracoat) and duracoat the bolt handle and trigger guard as well... 250 to my door... the reson i chose this stock is its a hunting stock with a custum length of pull a 1 inch decelorator recoil pad and an built in aluminum skeloten with bedding blocks.... should be a NICE stock.

i have the stevens... it was 342 out the door from gander and i hope to sell the stock and the barrel for around 75 bucks... so the action and trigger cost me around 275

stevens200.jpg

the stock will not be delivered for 14 weeks as kevin at stockade guns is a really busy man and makes EXCELLENT products... if making a tactical savage look at his prarie dog stock... it might even be superior in many ways to a mcmillan for half the cost.

today i will order the barrel and it will run me 300 shipped with a custom 458 bfg chambering... the bfg chambering is done by an ingo advertiser and is essentially a long seated socom to allow for more powder capacity and therefore an extra 1-200 feet per second

also... i sold the barrel today for 45 bucks... stock still for sale

will keep everyone posted, but i wouldnt expect to hear much about this, except for what barrel i choose for a few months.... will take at least until august to get all my parts in.

Last edited:

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Hmmmm..... Sounds like a crutch to me...maybe you should master the bow or muzzle before you enter a handicap advantage of multiple rounds, a scope and custom setup. :twocents: Plus you will have a longer season with a muzzle.

Don't get angry :chillout:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    its a good thing you said dont get angry........ i wont jump my own thread with how worthless your post was contributing to my possible project here.

MAPII

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Looks like an fun project! Always looking for a way to spice up the deer hunting life. Beats the Marlin Lever action routine!

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I'd love to have a bolt gun for that purpose myself. I just havent had much luck finding one, esp in my price range. For now I use my muzzleloader even during shotgun season. At least till I can get something like what you're describing.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    Prefit and chambered Savage barrels aren't a problem, I try to keep a modest amount of them in stock. Same thing with the Encore barrels. I'm pretty well wiped out at the moment, but expecting a shipment of each in the next week.

Hogue has promised a stock for the Savage for the last three years, I've seen a lot of online vendors list them on their website - but they are still vaporware at this point. I asked about them at SHOT, and got two fellows alternatively looking at the ceiling and the floor while mumbling a lot.

A standard (.473 - .22-250/243/308/30-06, etc.) bolt face action will work fine for the 452, 458 or 500. If you're thinking about the higher velocity options, the Gremlin needs a 7.62x39/PPC/Grendel bolt head for $75, the 358 BFG needs a WSM -WSSM - RUM based action in the Savage for the larger barrel tenon.

They will all need your love and affection in making them feed properly. The Savage action works a lot better with the fitment of a WSM magazine box if its a staggered feed action. If its one of the "new" centerfeed actions with action screw spacing of 4.4" on the short action, they seem to run much better in my limited testing.

jimd46902

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Kokomo
    I like your idea but I like my Marlin .357 too. Really though, if I could have bought a .357 or a .44 in a bolt action ... I would have considered it. I looked into the Ruger .44 bolt action but a .44 based on a .22 action didn't seem smart to me.

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    I've been thinking about this also. I though a savage action would be a good starting point. The custom barrel wouldn't be too hard to get. Are you looking for a repeater, or is single shot good enough? I was thinking something like a .357 max might work ok with the factory magazine, I'm just not sure how the bolthead matches up. It may need milled or some kind of fitting.

I know you could get a ruger 77/44 and probably reem to 445 supermag, but they wont fit in the rotary magazine.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    i am doing this build.... so i will keep you guys posted... ill start a new thread and add to it as i complete this project.... if anyone else is considering it i highly suggest callinng allenM.... he knows much and gave me all the words of wisdom that i need to do this project.... today... i am going to get the base rifle.... then i will order the add ons... barrel brass dies bullets powder primer stock bolt handle recoil lug... and if neccessary a new bolt face in .473.

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    I'm very interested in this thread. Please keep us informed. Did you select a caliber yet?

zcam630

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Somewhere
    Hmmmm..... Sounds like a crutch to me...maybe you should master the bow or muzzle before you enter a handicap advantage of multiple rounds, a scope and custom setup. :twocents: Plus you will have a longer season with a muzzle.

Don't get angry :chillout:

its a good thing you said dont get angry........ i wont jump my own thread with how worthless your post was contributing to my possible project here.

Give him Hell Nick!!!:ar15::popcorn:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I'm very interested in this thread. Please keep us informed. Did you select a caliber yet?

yep... either 458 socom... or 458 bfg... its the same round, but the BFG is chambers to give me the option of seating bullets longer giving me more powder capacity and in turn another 1-200 feet per second.... i bought my stevens 200 in .243 with the 4.4 inch action screw spacing... the .243 will give me a .473 bolt face wich will work for the socom round.... the centerfeed design will help with reliability in feeding although it will take a ton of tinkering to get it to fee properly... i will sell the stock barrel and trigger and replace with a hunting stock... bull barrel... timney trigger.... oversized recoil lug.....tactical bolt handle...... and havent decided on optics yet... i will do a custom paint job... probably bed the action.... all in all will probably cost me around 8 hundred or so... ill do a write up later on down the road once its complete... i think all on here will be pleasantly surprised.... the only downfall is going to be the expence to shoot... with high quality reloads using a good hunting round (why would i shoot anything else out of it) i think its going to cost me around a dollar a round reloaded, not including brass... the good news is the brass should last about indefinatly as long as i make good powder choices because the round will not fit more powder than it can handle....

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    It will still be a lot cheaper and probably much more accurate than shooting premium slugs. I'm shooting a custom barreled encore in .500 s&w and the Barnes bullets cost just a little over $1.00 round.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    definatly much more accurate.... and just as much knock down... i can even get more energy than a 1oz slug.... and it will have more of a "hunting" apeal.... i have never been a fan of shotguns.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    so everything is ordered except the barrel..... i have the action... i ordered a stockade gunstocks
    woodchuck_large.jpg

with that will come a tactical bolt handle... bolt handle lift kit... upgraded precision ground recoil lug.... metal trigger guard.... the stock will come unfinished and i will have to epoxy mold marks and sand it down and refinish it (duracoat) and duracoat the bolt handle and trigger guard as well... 250 to my door... the reson i chose this stock is its a hunting stock with a custum length of pull a 1 inch decelorator recoil pad and an built in aluminum skeloten with bedding blocks.... should be a NICE stock.

i have the stevens... it was 342 out the door from gander and i hope to sell the stock and the barrel for around 75 bucks... so the action and trigger cost me around 275
    stevens200.jpg

the stock will not be delivered for 14 weeks as kevin at stockade guns is a really busy man and makes EXCELLENT products... if making a tactical savage look at his prarie dog stock... it might even be superior in many ways to a mcmillan for half the cost.

today i will order the barrel and it will run me 300 shipped with a custom 458 bfg chambering... the bfg chambering is done by an ingo advertiser and is essentially a long seated socom to allow for more powder capacity and therefore an extra 1-200 feet per second

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    More details if you would please: What brand of barrel are you going to get? Who does the barrel threading? What's the twist? SS or Blued? Length of finished barrel? Sorry, if thats too many questions.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    20 inch mcgowen 1/18 twist 458 bfg ordered from fireball168 here on the site.... stainless but bead blasted as i will do the duracoating myself they come threaded and timed from the manufacterer.... any more questions?

Top Bottom