• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    Looking for a 22lr rifle to shoot quiet ammo (like Super Colibris, CB Longs, CBees, etc...)

Looking at Marlin XT-22 and Savage MKII.

I'd like a magazine or tube fed bolt action for a little as possible.

Any others that I should be looking at in the $200 or less range.

Anyone have experience with the low noise ammo? What rifles like it?

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    If you want to stick to detachable magazine rifles, then you will rule out most .22 short ammo like colibri and cb caps, etc. If a tube fed is ok, any good pump or lever gun will be good. Cheaper ones would be Henry or Rossi.

I have a Marlin 39A that holds something like 26 shorts.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    My son shoots Colibris and Super Colibris out of his rifle... no stuck bullets yet... knock on wood. They are not recommended for rifles.

Colibris are absolutely silent out of a rifle (well, maybe not "absolutely" silent but much quiter than an air rifle). Out of a pistol they sound like an air rifle.

They won't feed from a removeable magazine like the Savage Mark II or a Ruger .22/45 pistol. I haven't tried them in a tubular magazine.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    My son shoots Colibris and Super Colibris out of his rifle... no stuck bullets yet... knock on wood. They are not recommended for rifles.

I think they came out with Super Colibris specifically for rifle length barrels. either way, I too have had goo luck with them. Very quiet out of a 6" revolver and dead silent from a 16" rifle.

ZWolf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    I'm interested in the two rifles the OP mentioned and am wondering which is the more precise("accurate") rifle of the two? The tube fed XT-22 is supposed to feed short, long, and long rifle .22 ammunition.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    161   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    XT-22

The MArlin Xt-22 is a magazine fed rifle. Marlin has done away with all tube fed .22's since being bought out. There are not many current production firearms left on the market that you can shoot shorts out of. I believe that Henry is the only one left.

The Savage is the most accurate right out of the box

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Other current-production rifle that'll take shorts: Browning BL-22 and the new even smaller version of it the BL-22 Micro Midas. (Though Browning's website only shows .22LR for the Micro, it shows S, L, and LR for the full-sized BL-22)

And if you find one of those for $200, please let me know ASAP.

On another note, I thought that someone had somehow modified the Ruger 10/22 rotary mag to accommodate .22Short? Perhaps I dreamed that up...

-J-

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Other current-production rifle that'll take shorts: Browning BL-22 and the new even smaller version of it the BL-22 Micro Midas. (Though Browning's website only shows .22LR for the Micro, it shows S, L, and LR for the full-sized BL-22)

On another note, I thought that someone had somehow modified the Ruger 10/22 rotary mag to accommodate .22Short? Perhaps I dreamed that up...

-J-

Browning also makes the semi-auto ATD in a .22 short only version; for no reason, I have been lusting after one of these at an LGS. As to the ruger, yes there is a kit whith replaces the recoil spring and magazine, allowing shorts to be used.

nailknocker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Marlin still makes their 22 tube fed bolt gun, they have changed the model number recently to the XT something or other, it used to be the 981T.
    I bought one of these last year put a one inch BSA scope on it, and it is one of the most accurate 22's I've ever shot. I think they run just under $200.00
    There is also the Remington Speedmaster, which is the only semi auto that I know of that will shoot all three sizes of 22 ammo, or the Fieldmaster pump. They are pricey though.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    There is also the Remington Speedmaster, which is the only semi auto that I know of that will shoot all three sizes of 22 ammo, or the Fieldmaster pump. They are pricey though.

They can't be as expensive as any Browning named "Midas." They THINK that their firearms are made of gold since their name has touched them, and charge accordingly.

MtnBiker6510

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I'm a fan of the Marlin bolt action .22's & have a couple now I really enjoy. They are tube fed, but a dream to shoot & you can't beat a capacity of 17rds of LR!
    Here is my .22lr 981T that I picked up this summer for $140 new.
    2v9yov5.jpg

14ccyvc.jpg

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    161   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    They do

Marlin does still make their bolt guns and yes the XT series replaced the 981T. BUT when they changed to the XT series the tube feed went away.

Yes someone did make a .22 short conversion kit foe the 10/22. It cost as much as a new firearm.

mdemetz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    NW Elkhart Co.
    The MArlin Xt-22 is a magazine fed rifle. Marlin has done away with all tube fed .22's since being bought out. There are not many current production firearms left on the market that you can shoot shorts out of. I believe that Henry is the only one left.

Still showing a tube fed on their WEB site. Syn stock only.

nailknocker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Marlin website lists the xt 22tr, tube fed synthetic stock. They also list three models of tube fed 22wmr, synthetic, laminate, and wood.

ZWolf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Sorry about the thread jacking, but thanks still for the info. I don't know about the OP but I'm kinda leaning toward the Marlin since you can get the extra capacity and ammo options with the tube fed model.

Dirc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Noblesville
    Check pawn shops, I see a lot of old tube fed bolts there. You can usually get a good price too, assuming you don't need something brand new. I picked up a great JC Higgins in this configuration for $65. One of my favorite guns, honestly.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I gave up looking for one and bought an H&R sportster. Sighted in an shot some very tight groups at 25 yards with CB Longs and shorts. Then, the ejector broke. After about 30 rounds.

It has to go back to H&R. Facepalm.

I should just buy a can for my Savage Mark II.

Top Bottom