• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    I got a KALS74 and a mini non-tanto from BladeHQ via USPS. They're nice freakin' knives: open very snappily, fit your hand well, and cut nicely out of the box. I kept the big one and gave the mini to my mom for the cool factor. They're extremely affordable and feel like high quality; mine's a keeper!

Is your Kal74 an auto? If so, does the blade stutter as it opens? Maybe I got a bad one? :dunno:

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I got a KALS74 and a mini non-tanto from BladeHQ via USPS. They're nice freakin' knives: open very snappily, fit your hand well, and cut nicely out of the box. I kept the big one and gave the mini to my mom for the cool factor. They're extremely affordable and feel like high quality; mine's a keeper!

It is illegal to ship auto knives using USPS (Federal Law).

U.S.C. 1716 prohibits the mailing or transport of switchblades or automatic knives through the U.S. mails (U.S. Postal Service), with a few designated exceptions.[41] 18 U.S.C. § 1716(g)(2)
    Such knives may be conveyed in the mails, under such regulations as the Postal Service shall prescribe —
    (1) to civilian or Armed Forces supply or procurement officers and employees of the Federal Government ordering, procuring, or purchasing such knives in connection with the activities of the Federal Government; (2) to supply or procurement officers of the National Guard, the Air National guard, or militia of a state, territory or the District of Columbia ordering, procuring, or purchasing such knives in the connection with the activities of such organization; (3) to supply or procurement officers or employees of the municipal government of the District of Columbia or the government of any State or Territory, or any county, city or other political subdivision of a State or Territory; procuring or purchasing such knives in connection with the activities of such government. (4) to manufacturers of such knives or bona fide dealers therein in connection with any shipment made pursuant of an order from any person designated in paragraphs (1), (2), and (3).
    15 U.S.C. § 1244 provides that the federal Switchblade Knife Act does not apply to: 1) any common carrier or contract carrier, with respect to any switchblade knife shipped, transported, or delivered for shipment in interstate commerce in the ordinary course of business.

Last edited:

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    It is illegal to ship auto knives using USPS (Federal Law).

Umm, sorry? Looks like either A) this is outdated, B) there's exceptions you're not aware of, or C) JDGAF.

I'm a member of the Militia of this state, purchasing it for the activities of my organization; looks like I'm good!

Thanks for the concern, I'll let you know if I see any potential 922(r) violations afoot!

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    Umm, sorry? Looks like either A) this is outdated, B) there's exceptions you're not aware of, or C) JDGAF.

I'm a member of the Militia of this state, purchasing it for the activities of my organization; looks like I'm good!

Thanks for the concern, I'll let you know if I see any potential 922(r) violations afoot!

Like!

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have a couple of Bokers and they are well made, but it seems like I have to sharpen them more than some others. While they are not an auto, I sure like the Kershaw Leek and Chive. Those blades snap out there quickly and they hold an edge very well.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    While they are not an auto, I sure like the Kershaw Leek and Chive. Those blades snap out there quickly and they hold an edge very well.
    I bought a Leek a couple of weeks ago. Now I have a Shallot and a Chive as well. Love these Ken Onion knives, pretty close to an auto if you ask me.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.

The federal law that I'm stating is not out of date and is current law. Yes, there are exemptions for LEO and Military (which I stated in my original post) but the proper forms must be filled out by the buyer and kept on record with the seller (I'm sure you filled out the proper forms :)). I am direct with a lot of companies that manufacturer auto knives, they have legal departments within their organization, and many times I have spoken with these people to make sure I'm in compliance with the laws when shipping auto knives (normally shipping knives back to them for warranty work). The one thing they stress is, I ship using UPS or FedEx, not USPS. You come in here slinging your BS with out backing anything with actual facts and by doing so, mislead people into believing that a certain activity is legal, when in fact it is not.

United States Code
    TITLE 15 - COMMERCE AND TRADE
    CHAPTER 29 - MANUFACTURE, TRANSPORTATION, OR DISTRIBUTION OF SWITCHBLADE KNIVES

Section 1241. Definitions

As used in this chapter -
    (a) The term ''interstate commerce'' means commerce between any
    State, Territory, possession of the United States, or the District
    of Columbia, and any place outside thereof.
    (b) The term ''switchblade knife'' means any knife having a blade
    which opens automatically -
    (1) by hand pressure applied to a button or other device in the
    handle of the knife, or
    (2) by operation of inertia, gravity, or both.

Section 1242. Introduction, manufacture for introduction, transportation or distribution in interstate commerce; penalty

Whoever knowingly introduces, or manufactures for introduction,
    into interstate commerce, or transports or distributes in
    interstate commerce, any switchblade knife, shall be fined not more
    than $2,000 or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.

Section 1243. Manufacture, sale, or possession within specific jurisdictions; penalty

Whoever, within any Territory or possession of the United States,
    within Indian country (as defined in section 1151 of title 18), or
    within the special maritime and territorial jurisdiction of the
    United States (as defined in section 7 of title 18), manufactures,
    sells, or possesses any switchblade knife, shall be fined not more
    than $2,000 or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.

Section 1244. Exceptions

Sections 1242 and 1243 of this title shall not apply to -
    (1) any common carrier or contract carrier, with respect to any
    switchblade knife shipped, transported, or delivered for shipment
    in interstate commerce in the ordinary course of business;
    (2) the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution,
    possession, or introduction into interstate commerce, of
    switchblade knives pursuant to contract with the Armed Forces;
    (3) the Armed Forces or any member or employee thereof acting
    in the performance of his duty; or
    (4) the possession, and transportation upon his person, of any
    switchblade knife with a blade three inches or less in length by
    any individual who has only one arm.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I don't wish to cause further trouble here but I have ordered from both Blade HQ & BladePlay and the knives came registered, adult signature required USPS Mail.
    This was for any order as I have bought both auto's and non-auto knives there. I do not assert that this is legal however, just that this is how they do it. :)

I have a big box of the Boker '74's and I love them. They are nice for the price. :yesway:

Top Bottom