• ...and so much more!
  • ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    137   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I picked one of these up about a year + ago at the 1500 as a fun novelty. Paid about $50. However, I have found myself carrying it everyday ever since. I am in love with this knife! It is sturdy and quick to get deployed :)

Only problem I have had with it is keeping it sharp (but I do use it everyday).

Love it so much that I just bought 2 more of them as back up. Found them with better color/blade selection and cheaper. Only $34.99 each + shipping.

My favorite EDC knife.

ShootnCut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Indiana
    In about three weeks you can get some with the springs in them. Then they will be real Kalashnikov auto's.
    I have a couple myself and I agree, they're stout handy knives. The problem with the "inexpensive" knives is usually the fact that they aren't quite as hard as some of the more expensive ones. Sometimes the steel they use can't quite reach the upper end of the C scale. Or they just choose to harden them a little less. I prefer 59-61 but I don't pry or do unusual things that might snap a harder blade. Also the harder blade can take a little more to sharpen if you do let it get really dull.
    I carried a Normark Little Swede back in the late 70's that was a little softer but I just swiped it on the crock sticks every night and she was ready to go.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    50.00 is about the going price for a boker ak74, blade hq has quite a selection, BUT just so you know auto knives are a class b misdemeanor and a 50.00 fine till 7.1.13, then they are legal to carry.

that said boker auto's have a soft steel in the blade's, the good/bad thing about soft steel is that they sharpen/dull easy, i plan on [STRIKE]carrying the boker ak74 that i own[/STRIKE]getting a ak74 for daily carry and keeping my better auto's for weekend carry

as for the steel part i have a s&w assisted opener that fires very fast has the recurved blade that i like, but after the first day i regret buying it, soft steel, dull's almost at once, but a few passes over a pocket sharpner and its back to razor sharp

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    50.00 is about the going price for a boker ak74, blade hq has quite a selection, BUT just so you know auto knives are a class b misdemeanor and a 50.00 fine till 7.1.13, then they are legal to carry.

that said boker auto's have a soft steel in the blade's, the good/bad thing about soft steel is that they sharpen/dull easy, i plan on [STRIKE]carrying the boker ak74 that i own[/STRIKE]getting a ak74 for daily carry and keeping my better auto's for weekend carry

as for the steel part i have a s&w assisted opener that fires very fast has the recurved blade that i like, but after the first day i regret buying it, soft steel, dull's almost at once, but a few passes over a pocket sharpner and its back to razor sharp

This is not an endorsement to own or carry an auto before July 1st, but I highly doubt that at this point with less than 30 days before the new law changes that any LEO or prosecutor will doing anything, should you be caught with an auto knife. At the Indy 1500 two weeks ago most knife dealers had their auto's out for sale and uniformed LEO's were present. I know for fact that several of them bought auto's. I know of two prosecutors who have said they will drop any charges relating to auto's and are even going back to the first of the year and dropping any auto charges that were brought forth. :twocents:

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    This is not an endorsement to own or carry an auto before July 1st, but I highly doubt that at this point with less than 30 days before the new law changes that any LEO or prosecutor will doing anything, should you be caught with an auto knife. At the Indy 1500 two weeks ago most knife dealers had their auto's out for sale and uniformed LEO's were present. I know for fact that several of them bought auto's. I know of two prosecutors who have said they will drop any charges relating to auto's and are even going back to the first of the year and dropping any auto charges that were brought forth. :twocents:

yes but to avoid any hassle from "da man" ill just wait, 21 days is not worth the trouble trying to explain to "billy blue bad**s" that i know the law and they dont. that said i know a officer who has carried a benchmade infidel for years, and have had a few ask me where to get a nice "switchblade", i always say go to the gunshow's.

hell here at the local 4h gunshow a guy wears his sheriffs badge while selling auto's, i asked him one time what local law enforcement says about it, he said around here (evansville) they dont say anything, up north he said they walk through the show and say "take the auto's off the table"

i asked a local cop one time, what happens when you find a auto knife on someone, he said if they look like a upstanding person, he tells them its against the law, and that another officer might write them a ticket, but he will let them go, if they look like they are up to no good, he puts it in his trunk and sends them on their way.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    yes but to avoid any hassle from "da man" ill just wait, 21 days is not worth the trouble trying to explain to "billy blue bad**s" that i know the law and they dont. that said i know a officer who has carried a benchmade infidel for years, and have had a few ask me where to get a nice "switchblade", i always say go to the gunshow's.

hell here at the local 4h gunshow a guy wears his sheriffs badge while selling auto's, i asked him one time what local law enforcement says about it, he said around here (evansville) they dont say anything, up north he said they walk through the show and say "take the auto's off the table"

i asked a local cop one time, what happens when you find a auto knife on someone, he said if they look like a upstanding person, he tells them its against the law, and that another officer might write them a ticket, but he will let them go, if they look like they are up to no good, he puts it in his trunk and sends them on their way.

I know the dealer that you are speaking of and he is NOT LEO. Next time take a closer look at that badge, it's one of those silly as* "Concealed Carry" badges. He only wears it so he doesn't get hassled for selling auto's. He has been doing it for years and getting away with it. When the law changes July 1st, I bet you won't see him wearing that badge.

toyotaslave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Princeton
    I got one of those Boker AK-74 knives a couple of years ago. Lockup isn't bad.
    The dang thing loses an edge FAST. It says it's AUS-8 steel, if so it isn't tempered to a very hard state. It is pretty easy to touch up though. I just wish it wasn't a tanto profile. This thing may have turned me off from tantos.

All in all it's a decent toy. I took it on trade for something I had priced $50 too high anyway. Hey, free knife!

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I got one of those Boker AK-74 knives a couple of years ago. Lockup isn't bad.
    The dang thing loses an edge FAST. It says it's AUS-8 steel, if so it isn't tempered to a very hard state. It is pretty easy to touch up though. I just wish it wasn't a tanto profile. This thing may have turned me off from tantos.

All in all it's a decent toy. I took it on trade for something I had priced $50 too high anyway. Hey, free knife!

i loved tanto bladed knives...till i bought my first one, that love affiar ended badly!, still have 2 or 3 tanto's, but i avoid them if i can, look at blade hq they have quite a few blade styles for the boker ak knives(unless brad is stocking the boker's then buy from him support :ingo:)

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    Funny thing, when the autos were illegal (per IN law) there wasn't a provision for LEO's to own/carry them. I still knew several (including me) who carried them, anyway.
    As far as I was concerned, if I caught someone w/ one, I would see it as an assisted opening knife w/ a reeeeealy strong spring. :)

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    Shipment from BladeHQ arrived today. At first use, I'm a little disappointed in the Boker knives. I know they were cheapies, but the action on both is very stiff and jerky (the Kershaw Chive is as smooth or smoother than my Leek and Shallot). Any reason I can't use some WD40 in them to try to loosen them up?

Top: Boker Kalashnikov Automatic Knife Dagger Desert
    Middle: Kershaw Black Chive Spring Assist Knife (Black)
    Bottom: Boker Magnum Automatic Knife Champagn

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Take it apart and clean and oil it. You also might need a stronger spring. The difficulty in depressing the plunger is a good thing though, you're fighting the spring trying to open the blade.

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    I got a KALS74 and a mini non-tanto from BladeHQ via USPS. They're nice freakin' knives: open very snappily, fit your hand well, and cut nicely out of the box. I kept the big one and gave the mini to my mom for the cool factor. They're extremely affordable and feel like high quality; mine's a keeper!

Top Bottom