Boiling water in a vacuum sealed bottle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I just bought a double walled vacuum sealed water bottle and was wondering if I will be able to boil water with it. Is it possible?
    Not usually. If you try it and it works then it doesn't really have a vaccuum between the walls. If it doesn't work add are you will get the outer wall extremely hot, possibly causing warping etc. It is typically recommend that you don't heat any type of insulated liquid container whether it's insulated by vacuum or by foam insulation.

herby31

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2010
    fort wayne
    you may damage the bottle, and i think the insulating qualities of the vacuum layer would hinder your attempts at boiling anyways. also, many metal water bottles have a plastic film lining that can come off into your water if you try to boil in them. one exception to this is the Klean Kanteen brand, they make bottles from food grade stainless, so they don't need a liner.

edit: the single walled klean kanteens can be safely boiled in, so long as you figure a good way to move a hot bottle off the heat source when you are ready to do so.

Last edited:

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    All else aside, Klean Kanteen makes an excellent, no-frills single-walled bottle. I've abused the heck out of mine and has no issues.

danbb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    Cedar Lake
    I suppose if you put the cup full of water in a vacuum chamber, you could pull a vacuum and get the water to boil at room temperature. If you mean heating up water in it, and boiling it at standard atmospheric pressure, then no.

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    THINK about it..........................

The purpose of a double walled vacuum sealed water bottle is to keep hot things hot and cold things cold when placed inside the bottle. It does this by using a double wall and a vacuum inside the bottle to isolate the contents and prevent the heat transfer from the inside to the outside or vice versa.

Simply stated........it PREVENTS heat transfer between the inside and outside of the container. So, how is a container designed to prevent heat transfer to or from the outside to the inside going to be able to move heat from outside the bottle to the inside of the bottle and heat the water?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom