• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Purdue1991

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 19, 2022
    As expected, the proposed bobcat rules are half-assed and set primarily to fulfill the requirement to have a season instead of actually managing the population.

Population management would be better served by requiring live trapping, transport to central Indiana and release. At least then maybe some people might eventually get a clue.

The population isn't large enough that it needs to be managed by humans. I live in Southern Indiana. I have both bobcats and plenty of turkeys on my property. At this point, I'm not sure I understand the need to have an open hunting season on them other than people wanting a trophy...

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    The population isn't large enough that it needs to be managed by humans. I live in Southern Indiana. I have both bobcats and plenty of turkeys on my property. At this point, I'm not sure I understand the need to have an open hunting season on them other than people wanting a trophy...
    Wildlife are not pets, no matter how much people want to treat bobcats like housecats. Indeed, pets are rarely allowed to exist so unfettered and free of management as some insist that wildlife should be. Failure to manage wildlife rarely works out well for the wildlife in the long term. Nor are those consequences limited to just the particular species of wildlife in question or even wildlife in general. I'm sure those that have lost livestock to bobcats have a bit of different perspective.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    If you want to know what bobcats can and can't do and what managing them or not managing them will do, talk to sportsmen/landowners in Kentucky and Tennessee. We haven't had them back in Indiana long enough for them to be a problem, I'm thrilled Indiana is actually doing something now instead of waiting another 15 years until they've become a real issue before managing their numbers.

They are an apex predator and one of the most skilled in North America. When they move into a new area there will be changes to the ecosystem and the numbers of various animals around.

Last edited:

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    If you want to know what bobcats can and can't do and what managing them or not managing them will do, talk to sportsmen/landowners in Kentucky and Tennessee. We haven't had them back in Indiana long enough for them to be a problem, I'm thrilled Indiana is actually doing something now instead of waiting another 15 years until they've become a real issue before managing their numbers.

They are an apex predator and one of the most skilled in North America. When they move into a new area there will be changes to the ecosystem and the numbers of various animals around.
    Good points. There are some here that can’t remember when Indiana didn’t have any deer or turkeys, let alone otters. These all have made a great comeback to the state due to sound game and fur management. This work was done by our dedicated biologist. The bobcat is higher up the food chain than any of the mentioned above. The natural influx of coyotes came without any help.

I hunted in the state when there were no deer. Turkeys were a world away. Squirrel and pheasant and rabbits were king. Quite unlike today.

As an aside, the latest fur market report suggests Ind. Lynx (bobcat) Great Lakes Region should be 75.00 to 100.00 for well put up prime pelts.

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    But now otters are a problem, no? At least that's what I've seen on INGO from people that have seen their ponds' fish populations wiped out by them.
    Yep, otters are a problem, bobcats are a problem. Deer are a problem (ask any insurance agent). I think Indiana would be better off with no wildlife at all.

Of course that’s purple. :lmfao:

El Conquistador

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Jan 28, 2019
    far from here
    My property is in south east Indiana and for the past few years I get more bobcats on trail cams than coyotes. A couple years ago I have video of 4 bobcats traveling together. It’s not uncommon for me to see a bobcat while out deer hunting. I do have a somewhat healthy turkey population but the past several years the deer population has been declining. I hardly ever see a doe with twin fawns.
    Now in all fairness my county did have a bad EHD outbreak 6 or 7 years ago but that isn’t the reason for such a low deer herd in my area. I feel predators are to blame for some of this.
    I can also say that’s the low numbers I am experiencing isn’t for over hunting. Between me and my neighbors there are several hundred acres and very few does are taken. I can count on one hand the does that have been taken in the last almost 20 years on my land.
    I have been deer hunting for over 40 years and I have lived through the times when even seeing a deer was rare. I have also lived through the times of driving around and seeing dozens of deer in almost every field.
    I rarely ever shoot a buck anymore, I enjoy sitting in a deer stand and watching nature.
    However I do have grandkids that hunt at my place and many times they will hunt for hours without seeing a deer.
    I did share these same complaints to the DNR last winter when they sent out a survey asking about a possible bobcat season and deer survey.
    Thanks for letting me rant.
    Safe a happy hunting this fall.

Purdue1991

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 19, 2022

Bobcats are native to the area. They're not new here. Humans nearly wiped them out like they did other predators because of ignorance.

Reactions: Mij

Purdue1991

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 19, 2022
    My property is in south east Indiana and for the past few years I get more bobcats on trail cams than coyotes. A couple years ago I have video of 4 bobcats traveling together. It’s not uncommon for me to see a bobcat while out deer hunting. I do have a somewhat healthy turkey population but the past several years the deer population has been declining. I hardly ever see a doe with twin fawns.
    Now in all fairness my county did have a bad EHD outbreak 6 or 7 years ago but that isn’t the reason for such a low deer herd in my area. I feel predators are to blame for some of this.
    I can also say that’s the low numbers I am experiencing isn’t for over hunting. Between me and my neighbors there are several hundred acres and very few does are taken. I can count on one hand the does that have been taken in the last almost 20 years on my land.
    I have been deer hunting for over 40 years and I have lived through the times when even seeing a deer was rare. I have also lived through the times of driving around and seeing dozens of deer in almost every field.
    I rarely ever shoot a buck anymore, I enjoy sitting in a deer stand and watching nature.
    However I do have grandkids that hunt at my place and many times they will hunt for hours without seeing a deer.
    I did share these same complaints to the DNR last winter when they sent out a survey asking about a possible bobcat season and deer survey.

The reason your deer herd is low is because of anterless deer license quotas for each county were set WAY too high for a couple of decades. It has nothing to do with predators. I hunt in Crawford county where the bonus anterless quotas were insane for years. Over the past 5 years I've seen the doe population decline significantly.

El Conquistador

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Jan 28, 2019
    far from here
    The reason your deer herd is low is because of anterless deer license quotas for each county were set WAY too high for a couple of decades. It has nothing to do with predators. I hunt in Crawford county where the bonus anterless quotas were insane for years. Over the past 5 years I've seen the doe population decline significantly.
    I can somewhat agree with you for the county as a whole but as I stated in my area me and my neighbors are not shooting anterless deer. Also please explain the lack of fawns I have been experiencing over the past several seasons. I know it’s not for being hunted because this is during the summer months when they should be a couple of months old.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Saw 4 bobcats traveling together down here in Jefferson County last season. Was cool to see but no thrilled to see them at the same time. When the otters were released they absolutely destroyed creek fishing down here

Purdue1991

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 19, 2022
    I can somewhat agree with you for the county as a whole but as I stated in my area me and my neighbors are not shooting anterless deer. Also please explain the lack of fawns I have been experiencing over the past several seasons. I know it’s not for being hunted because this is during the summer months when they should be a couple of months old.

Could be coyotes. Could be lack of does in the area. Could be bobcats. You and your neighbor may not be shooting does. But doesn't mean others in your area aren't...

Purdue1991

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 19, 2022
    Which is neither news to me nor relevant to my comment. You'll notice I said they haven't been back in Indiana long enough to be a problem.

Its relevant because bobcats aren't really an issue in Indiana. They don't need to be managed, especially by idiots in the Indiana legislature that forced the INDNR to do something because their constituents are panicking about seeing bobcats on their trail cameras. And then trying to correlate it into why they haven't seen enough turkeys and deer for their liking...

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfield,In
    Its relevant because bobcats aren't really an issue in Indiana. They don't need to be managed, especially by idiots in the Indiana legislature that forced the INDNR to do something because their constituents are panicking about seeing bobcats on their trail cameras. And then trying to correlate it into why they haven't seen enough turkeys and deer for their liking...
    Almost record harvest for Turkey and Deer the last few years…..

Top Bottom