• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    Yes? No? What do you guys think? I have used them several times since I really don't have anything close. Kinda high on ammo. No reloading supplies! Seems they like to use fear tactics as selling points. Price on long guns seemed O.K, Handguns Sorta inline. Used guns forget it way to high. Black guns and any other "Assult" type seemed way to high. :twocents:

glockguy07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Yup, pass in my opinion

I was looking at a PTR91, comparing prices - Blythes in Valpo was $500 higher than my other options. :noway: :noway:

If I were you, I'd head out to Jerry's Gun Shop in Rensselaer IN, less inventory - much better prices. If he doesn't have what you want he can order it.

Then on the way home you can hit up Jasper Pulaski shooting range! (closed Mon/Tues - no charge to shoot there)

Plague421

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Portage
    I use Blythe's for a "winter" gun range, that's about it. I bring my own ammo. 1 box(50) of .45ACP reloads, was $21 at Blythe's. The self defense bullets that I use are $24. This is of course after taxes, but I have a guy now that sells me his own reloads if I bring him my brass. $16 for 50 .45ACP

bdj357

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 13, 2008
    DaRegion NWI Crown Point
    Blythe's will try to sell a Desert Eagle to a unsuspecting person looking for a plinker. Apparently they are not true gun owners. I always sold based on the customer, not what they can spend. We should be educating these newbies, not taking them for a ride.

IndySKS

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    LaPorte
    They wanted $500 for a Beretta Tomcat in stainless... bought on gunbroker new for $319. Don't mind supporting local business but that seemed way over priced. Nice staff every time I've gone in there though.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    FWIW, I have had better experiences at the Griffith store compared to the Valpo store. There is one middle aged guy in particular at Valpo. He didn't wake up on the wrong side of the bed, I think he was born on the wrong side of the bed. He's nearly always snippy.

(Almost) Every gun shop has jerks (on both sides of the counter) so I don't avoid Blythes, I just don't ever have high hopes for them. In general, I think the atmosphere at the Griffith store is nicer. YMMV.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I've actually had EXCELLENT luck with service and price at Blythe's in Griffith. I've shot at the range at their Valpo store but never actually shopped the store since I used to live near the Griffith store and always was treated very well by their staff.

What I don't like about Blythe's is their TRANSFER FEE of $50 per gun.

That alone switched me over to C.N.I. in Crown Point. Chuck only charges a $25 transfer fee.

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    I had a good experience. I bought a smith Snub Nose their and they matched the price in Hammond at Cabelas who had the best price around I had seen for the same gun. That was looking at Bradis, Gander (who is always high), Pops (again high),Cabelas, Blythes.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I can't stand Blythe's in Valpo. I went in one day after school.....

Store has about 7 people working and NO business. I can't figure out why. So I start to mill around looking at the items. $979 for a Saiga 12. Ouch. You can't find one anywhere but it still isn't a $1,000 shotgun. Something catches my eye. A younger guy that works the counter is pointing a revolver in my general direction and pulling the trigger repeatedly saying "man that trigger is sweet!" I move away from the area he is pointing and continue browsing. I walk over to the mags. $89.99 for a "genuine" HK G3 mag. :poop: I make my way around the shop and I don't see anything that even looks remotely fairly priced. Out I go.

:+1: for Jerry's and JP. Pretty good selection on handguns. NO longuns the last time I went. His racks were totally empty.

jim2100

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    I tied to transfer my first gun to them too.

Hi

I just purchased my first gun and tried to use Blythes. They said they wanted I believe it was $85.00. They said they really don't like doing transfers, that they want to sell the gun themselves. I got even a higher cost at Westforth's in Gary. I finally got to Bass Pro Shop and they said $35.00, which is the figure I read about on all forums around the country. So I now drive to BPS from Gary. They have earned my business from now on.

I found the best price on guns at Impact Guns Online Store

jim

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    $85 from Blythes? It was $50, which is still too steep. But did you ask them to simply quote you a price on that same gun? At least the store in Griffith will do that, and they have often quoted me better prices than Impact Guns, after you add the transfer costs/shipping costs.

Westforth charges $40 or $45, at least that is what they told me when I stopped in there. Chuck at C.N.I. in Crown Point on the courthouse square, charges $25 for most transfers, now that he is open again I think he'll be getting some transfer business back. The biggest problem with C.N.I. is that he is only working very limited hours right now.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I was just reading along, minding my own business, when I came to this one.
    Several years ago an uncle of mine took me up to Valpo to check this place out,
    and they were pretty close on what I was looking for at the time, an 1187.
    I called a few weeks later, and was told they were on sale for 500.00. I questioned the guy specifically to make sure he meant what he said. 500.00 even. He said
    yes, the was the price, and I got on my horse. Now boys, I live in Albany In, which is more than just a short hike down the pike, and drove up. Upon my arrival, I found the young man I'd talked to, and he got my shotgun and rang it up. For 599.00 plus tax. Somewhere along the line, he seemed to think that when I questioned him on the price, and he quoted me 500, that I should have assumed 599.
    I will never darken their doorway again.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    I was here last Friday with my dad. The prices were unreal. $1,699.00 for a run of the mill Bushmaster. $35.00 for AR 30 round clips. They were $100.00 higher on a smith stubby I just bought. I was just shocked. My dad lives near up in that area and does not have a bunch of options. I told him to call me next time he is looking for something and any shop in Indy could beat those prices.

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    Well after my last visit there I have to retract my previous statement. I don't know about the other guys but the older guy (Mike) is a hell of a nice guy and treated me right price wise. I guess I will be giving them another chance. Ammo prices are still kinda high but it seems like they are getting better they also had some mil surplus and bulk ammo when i was in there. Long gun prices seem within reason, pistol prices about $25-$50 too high it seems but it saves me at least that much in gas.

All being said and done I guess if I was an ass then stopped being an ass I would want another chance.

XDs4me

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Blyth's in Griffith is much better than Valpo. I bought 2 XD40's from Griffith and got them each for $150.00 less than Valpo wanted to sell them to me for. Valpo thinks they are gold.

Packing Heat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2008
    NWI
    Winter Gun Range Only

Agree with earlier post that I only use them for inside gun range as their prices are way too high, salemen aren't helpful and I can say this with some knowledge because of the 3 guns I bought from them last year, I experienced unnecessary problems with 2 of them. You live and learn, to its just not a friendly place just close place.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    The crazy price on transfer fees alone makes blythes suck (both of them). Not to mention they are priced 25%+ above what Cabelas sells for!

CNI is the only local shop I'll deal with. I drive to mishiwaka or goshen before any of the others.

qualitytym

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Porter County
    I just put a striped lower on layaway. $160.00 for a Charles Daly. They have lower parts kits with grip now for $130.00. That seems obscenely high. They are way high on most things, go there to look and buy somewhere else. Go to Midwest in South Bend.

IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    You have to deal with the right people in either store but it's that way about anywhere you go. In Valpo, talk to mike. In griffith, either talk to Roger or Brian. Overall, I've had better luck in the Griffith store. Seems like the Griffith store likes to deal a little bit more than Valpo.

Top Bottom