• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jojoa55

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2010
    Evansville
    hey guys, i have kind of a dumb question but I honestly do not know the answer to it and i'm hoping you all would be kind enough to help. I have decided that i'm going to purchase a Ruger LCP in the near future (next paycheck). I went to my local gunstore yesterday to see if any were in stock and they had both the standard black slide that's blued and they also just got in a hard chrome (stainless??? :dunno:) slide version. The blued version was $279 and the hard chrome version was $325. I was hoping you guys could tell me if one finish is better or more durable than the other and if the difference in price would be worth it. Thanks for your help!

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Chrome? I like Chrome! Its shiny.........

Chrome is pretty durable stuff and doesn't show wear as much as bluing. Stainless steel is the same way. Finish doesnt show wear as easily as the blued finish. That said a lot of guys dont like the bling of chrome/stainless and prefer the blue.

Personally I like the stainless or chromed look, but prefer a non-shined stainless as chrome is a pain to keep looking good. :twocents:

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I carry a pf9 with the hard chrome slide every day. It gets sweated on, banged into, and dropped sometimes when I take my filthy work clothes off.

The slide looks new. The poly parts show some abrasions. That's just the way it goes when it's on my ankle or hip.

I know that with the abuse it has been getting, the other slide treatment would be not so good.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Chrome? I like Chrome! Its shiny.........

Chrome is pretty durable stuff and doesn't show wear as much as bluing. Stainless steel is the same way. Finish doesnt show wear as easily as the blued finish. That said a lot of guys dont like the bling of chrome/stainless and prefer the blue.

Personally I like the stainless or chromed look, but prefer a non-shined stainless as chrome is a pain to keep looking good. :twocents:

The chrome slide on the LCP is a matte finish, not shiny.

BIG TIM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fountaintown
    I saw an interesting show the other day on the chroming process. The reason that hard chrome is dull is because there is no nickel underneath like their is in a normal chrome process. 100% chrome is a much harder finish but just as rust resistant.

SteveG66

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    If you're looking for a durable finish, HC all the way. There are some black finishes out there that wear well, Diamondcote or something like that that are extremly durable as well.

I like a brushed HC finish, easy to take care of, looks nice all the time and doesnt show lint.

Good luck with your decision,
    SteveG

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    i like blue or black. less bling factor going in esp if its in a darker setting.... the chrome/stainless would be easier to see from the badguys eyes.

jojoa55

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2010
    Evansville
    I prefer blue over chrome..stainless is ok,but the chrome is to much to bling for me...

I agree, and the LCP's slide is called "hard chrome" but has the brushed appearance, so it's not a mirror finish. I normally prefer a black frame as well due to flashiness or others spotting it more quickly, but in this case i feel like durability trumps look. Thanks for everyones comments :rockwoot:

Movealongmovealong

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Bloomington
    Hard chrome is the name of the finish of the P3AT in chrome... it looks alot like the LCP, because the LCP is basically a copy of it. And the P3AT is a copy of a P380... Lol.

In any case, I think you were looking at a Keltec possibly.

bigmedicine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood
    It's a funny deal. I have very different opinions in what I like versus what I carry today. To me, NOTHING is as beautiful (for example) as an older Colt 1911 or Python in their true Royal Blue version. Simply stunning.
    About 3 years back, I saved up and got an Ed Brown Kobra Karry. Love the gun - for me, it was/is perfect. It certainly wasn't a safe queen - I carried that thing almost every day and even used it during an extended time away from home for work in an environment that was wet and steamy close to salt water. End result? My beautify blued handgun had rust on it - and yes, I did wipe it down every day. It just didn't matter. So - I was lucky enough to be able to sneak it into Tripp Research just before their cutoff for hard chrome treatment. Got the gun back and WOW - it was beautiful. I have continued to carry that gun 75% of the time (sometimes opt for the CBOB in 10mm for time in the woods) and it still looks as beautiful as the day I got it back. If anything, it is easier to clean now as you can better see dirt/grime.
    You will really like a matte hard chrome gun. Several folks do great quality work - I am, however, still happy with what Tripp was able to do. Just remember - even HC will rust if you don't properly care for it. Every treated gun is simply rust resistant, not rust proof.
    Good luck with what you choose!

Top Bottom