• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    I was at Gander Mountain last night and was looking at some 500 S&W Magnum ammo for a buddy of mine. I picked up a box of 20 Winchester Platinum Tip ($80!!!) to check them out. I realized that I had in my hand a 400 grain Black Talon, only shinier. These also come it 41 Mag, 44 Mag, 454 Casull, 12Ga and 20Ga. There is a couple small differences between the these and Black Talon like the thicker jacket and the hallow point cavity. I think I may pick some up in 454 Casull to shoot out of my 460 S&W Magnum for deer hunting this year. Pretty wicked!

HMs&w_060605.jpg

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    The Black Talon bullet (sans the evil cop-killing black coating) has been continuously improved and repackaged by Winchester over the past decade or so. First it was the SXT, then it became the Ranger Talon, and is currently available in the Ranger T-Series for law enforcement and the Supreme T-Series and Platinum Tip lines for the commercial market.

The Ranger ammo is WAY better than the old Black Talon in terms of performance; it's funny (sad, really) to see boxes of the original stuff fetching outrageous prices at gun shows because it was "armor piercing" or "banned" (neither is true).

TSERIES.gif

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    The Black Talon bullet (sans the evil cop-killing black coating) has been continuously improved and repackaged by Winchester over the past decade or so. First it was the SXT, then it became the Ranger Talon, and is currently available in the Ranger T-Series for law enforcement and the Supreme T-Series and Platinum Tip lines for the commercial market.

The Ranger ammo is WAY better than the old Black Talon in terms of performance; it's funny (sad, really) to see boxes of the original stuff fetching outrageous prices at gun shows because it was "armor piercing" or "banned" (neither is true).

TSERIES.gif

where can I get those?? :coffee:

phishb0y

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Lawrenceburg
    There is a guy that is selling the true Talon on the Beretta forum. He is out of South Carolina but his prices with shipping still seem good. I have not purchased from him so I can only say appears good no first hand knowledge.

DJDan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    North Indy
    I carry the Ranger as well...not that I've ever shot anyone with it but I think it'll do great if I ever need it to. I have a few hundred down the pipe of a carry XD-SC and it's flawless, accurate, and low recoil as well.

If you really wanna look super cool for cheap (read: poser:D ) grab a sharpie and some Ranger ammo and get to work..haha!

Baldmax- I'll take some of yours since you offered. I'll PM my address right now. Thank you for the offer.

Top Bottom