• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Soaking clean dishes in bleach water absolutely will kill more bacteria than washing them with soap and water, Rhino. I guess you are probably saying it's negligible and we don't have the same liability issues a restaurant has though. But " Clean and Sanitary" are two different things. "Clean" is what happens when you wash the visible, and greasy stuff off your dishes with soap and a sponge. "Sanitary" is killing the germs on the dishes. Bleach will kill them, so will heat from the dish washers, and so will other sanitizing solutions that were mentioned by other posters.

If you read what I wrote, I said "when you use them."

Unless you store them in a sterile environment or under a UV lamp, some bacteria is going to accumulate on your dishes in the cabinet. Bleaching them before you put them there will (might) leave them a little cleaner initially, but after they sit in your cabinet for a while, it's unlikely you'd be able to tell a difference if you stained them and looked for the bacterial growth with a microscope. This would also be affected by how they were handled after washing and/or bleaching. If you're leaving enough residual hypochlorite on the dishes to continue killing things after that first application, your dishes are going to smell like bleach when people are using them.

Sanitation rules for restaurants are a safeguard to backup failures in actual cleaning. Chemicals can help, but they can't (at least in the concentration you're using) replace physically removing microorganisms with clean water. If you have a thick enough crud on there, applying a dilute bleach solution is only going to kill things on the surface.

Also, as someone else mentioned, all soaps and detergents are inherently antibacterial. All anionic surfactants (which include soaps and detergents) will lyse bacteria in adequate concentrations.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    If you read what I wrote, I said "when you use them."

Unless you store them in a sterile environment or under a UV lamp, some bacteria is going to accumulate on your dishes in the cabinet. Bleaching them before you put them there will (might) leave them a little cleaner initially, but after they sit in your cabinet for a while, it's unlikely you'd be able to tell a difference if you stained them and looked for the bacterial growth with a microscope. This would also be affected by how they were handled after washing and/or bleaching. If you're leaving enough residual hypochlorite on the dishes to continue killing things after that first application, your dishes are going to smell like bleach when people are using them.

Sanitation rules for restaurants are a safeguard to backup failures in actual cleaning. Chemicals can help, but they can't (at least in the concentration you're using) replace physically removing microorganisms with clean water. If you have a thick enough crud on there, applying a dilute bleach solution is only going to kill things on the surface.

Also, as someone else mentioned, all soaps and detergents are inherently antibacterial. All anionic surfactants (which include soaps and detergents) will lyse bacteria in adequate concentrations.
    I miss my science days. :(

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    If you use blue Dawn dish liquid on even set-in grease stains on a shirt, it can remove them.

That is all...

Top Bottom