• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Don't forget that you may want to pick up a Hydration Carrier to strap on your back.
    I got a Gerber one and have one in the bookmarks that would be on the PC (molle)

To the OP, I guess the question now is (since we now know what you have) are you looking for a chest rig, or a plate carrier.

If you are still looking for a PC, check out Eagle (SKD has a few options). That is the only brand I have experience with (Used the Eagle SPC mentioned earlier in this post) I have also used the Interceptor (no clue who makes it) and the MTV. I liked the SPC the best, so I am looking at the Eagle Rigs.

For Chest rigs, I have no experience, but I would guess it depends on what you are going to wear under it. If you plan on wearing that level II armor you will need something that fits snugly over that and can hold what you want, again, SKD has some good options, but I have no experience with chest rigs.

Newbomb92

Expert
    Rating - 88.5%
    23   3   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I still want a Plate carrier. I'd like to have a set of softarmor specific for the PC and a set of IV plates too. I still don't know if the releaseable option is a must-have?

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    Because Level IV plates are typically Stand Alone, meaning they function at their rating alone, meaning no soft armor required to achieve their ballistic rating.

You really need to educate yourself on the levels, life, durability of the armor before buying it. Also remember the "lost" plates you typically find from gun shows or Ebay are typically dated and in most cases damaged. If you're going to buy armor, but it new from a reputable dealer. Pray you never get injured or shot in armor that wasn't obtained through legal channels. Army CID, offers rewords for information leading to stolen ESAPI's, although it is barely investigated, if something happens and their plates show up, it's going to be a long day for you. By the way the good stuff isn't cheap! This is equipment you are buying to save your life!! If your buying it to look cool at the next range session, then buy whatever. If you're buying it to stop bullets that someone may be sending towards you one day, make sure it's top notch. Bullets hurt, really badly.

Your mission drives the gear.

So first, what do you want armor for?

Do I encounter bullets whizzing at me often?

Secondly, what threats?

Who and how many who's are using what to hurt you?

Third, How much can it weigh?

Can my body handle wearing it 24/7 fully loaded with kit?

Fourth,

FIT, FIT, FIT. Does it fit properly? If you're unfamiliar, try some one first and see what fits.

A plate carrier is designed to offer the user the luxury of armor in a package that isn't overly bulky, but had those hard thing that absorb the rounds a bit better. We stripped down to PC without soft armor if the threat of shrapnel was low. it gave us; a lighter package that still offered some protection, it was cooler, and our range of motion was greater.

It hard to recommend an armor or anything to a person, unless you know what their needs and capabilities are.

It's like when a guy asks, "Which AR should I buy?"

I can't answer that unless we know the what, what for, your skill, your budget, and so on.

Last edited:

Newbomb92

Expert
    Rating - 88.5%
    23   3   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    NW Indiana
    While I don't plan on getting shot at....I guess I'd say it's part of prepping. Budget is up to $1000. I want something that provides the most coverage possible, able to add the deltoid, groin plates, etc...I guess the Eagle CIRAS might fit the bill, I'm still researching the CIRAS vs the $175 Eagle PC. I have no idea if I can handle wearing it 24/7...unless I absolutely had to I suppose. I also see Diamondback Tactical that looks nice. Not sure if I like the CIRAS release. So would a non-realease CIRAS be just a plate carrier? I want side/groin/deltoid coverage so I'm not sure which plate carrier to get. It's hard to judge just seeing pictures online. And then comes the color dilemma :cheers:

Last edited:

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I've worn most body armor out there. Eagle and tac tailor are really good. I'm a fan of the MSA Paraclete vests. My favorite is made by PPI as it holds hard or soft armor and is easy to don and doff. My paraclete vest has the rip cord that drops the vest free in half a second. It's essentially for if you should happen to be doing a water born mission and fall off the boat. fast forward to 2:17

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHW8GSVVY58

Be honest with yourself when you buy your stuff as gamez said. IT may seem like a good idea to have 1000 mag pouches, but if you have to wear that bastard for any length of time you'll be inclined to stroll out to the middle of enemy fire hoping to end the pain. If you plan on cleaning the pool while wearing your plate carrier you may wish to invest in the rip cord, but know that some dick head with the same vest will pull your cord forcing you to rethread the thing for the next 3 hours.

For the love of god don't buy condor or utg or any other chinese knock off bull****.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    so do you plan on just waiting for some plates to pop up on ebay or gunbroker? i dont know of any dealers that sell to civis.

Newbomb92

Expert
    Rating - 88.5%
    23   3   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Most of my posts have been on my phone so it was hard to explain what I want...

I love this setup from eagle....I like the SPEAR/BALCS cut soft armor that it uses, the only problem for me is the velcro up top....besides a POLICE patch (which I would never buy) what else could I use that for? I'd hate to have a chest full of velcro with dog hair and lint all over :laugh:

http://www.skdtac.com/Eagle_LE_Molle_Armor_Carrier_NonReleasable_p/eag.561.htm

Doc_Jon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2011
    How about this?

Eagle LE Armor Carrier Molle, Releasable (MAR-CIRAS-LE)

Does the release really make a big difference? Seems to in the price.

you will be extremely pleased with the Eagle CIRAS...its over priced but reliable, well built and well designed...the only problem with vests that i have come across is that its very easy to put too much on them...if you can't move and fight well with it on then no point in wearing it...mine has 10 magazines on it, one admin pouch, one misc pouch, a flashlight and gerber...very pleased with it.

Newbomb92

Expert
    Rating - 88.5%
    23   3   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    NW Indiana
    you will be extremely pleased with the Eagle CIRAS...its over priced but reliable, well built and well designed...the only problem with vests that i have come across is that its very easy to put too much on them...if you can't move and fight well with it on then no point in wearing it...mine has 10 magazines on it, one admin pouch, one misc pouch, a flashlight and gerber...very pleased with it.

That's not the Eagle CIRAS.....

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington

haha 10 magazines seems like a lot.

This is the one I am looking at:
    Eagle LE Plate Carrier Molle + Cummerbund
    The velcro is for INGO Bacon patches DUH!
    But seriously, they are for nametapes, blood type patches, moral patches, and such. Can also put IR reflectors on there too

Top Bottom